Strange screen issue

Last week I broke and replaced my FP2 screen (here the full story).
The new screen is working fine, but I have a strange issue happening that I never had before.
From time to time (I am looking for a pattern but I have not found one yet), my screen gets all blurred and dotted (see pictures), it stays like this for a couple of seconds and then goes back to normal.
It is not a huge issue, it is just an unexpected behavior, but I would like to solve it and, especially, to know if it is a symptom of any bigger issue (e.g., hardware failure etc). Iā€™m still in time to send it back and ask a new one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else before?
Pictures with a reddish tone were taken with the blue-light filter on.

1 Like

I have the same behavior on LOS from time to time.
I assume itā€™s a software thing as the screen works perfectly fine.
Nightly updates so far havenā€™t changed anything and I havenā€™t gotten around to try a hard reset yet. Mainly because it doesnā€™t bother me. :wink:

1 Like

It is definitely this Android 7 related bug. And apparently it could be related to Night-Light. Well, I am happy to know I am not the only one to experience it.

3 Likes

It is (I also have that a lot). Unfortunately the root cause seems to be unknown so far. Maybe you could contribute your observations on the bug tracker? The issue doesnā€™t seem to get a lot of attention and I think itā€™s very annoying.

With a brand new Fairphone, I see a strange issue: The screen occasionally shows a varying degree of noise - sometimes in limited portions of the screen, sometimes over the whole screen.
It seems to be a software issue - screenshots also show the noise. Here is an example of how it looks like:

The issue quickly resolves itself, in the worst case I have to switch to the home screen and back to the app I was using to get a proper screen display again, so itā€™s just a minor nuisance.

Iā€™m currently running Fairphone Open 18.10.0. I havenā€™t seen this issue on another phone running the same version. Is this a known issue? With quick search here in the forum I didnā€™t find any topic describing such problemsā€¦

So I continued to have this issue since my post in November and didnā€™t really care about it, but then I also got FP2 incoming call screen freeze issue, so I tried replacing the screen and that fixed both. So it seems not to be a software issue after all. On the other hand I wasnā€™t able to reproduce this issue on the other FP2 running FP Open beta yet.

1 Like

FP2 Screen shows temporarily artefakts which are lattice-like. This phenomenon is very obtrusive so working with my FP2 is cumbersome.

The occurance of an fullscreen overlay of artefacts which are lattice-like cannot be lead back to some apps. This behaviour appears by chance.!

Fairphone2_Problem_photo_2019-07-25_10-39-52|274x500

When I touch and wipe the center pane of an app, the disturbance remains in the other parts

I changed the screen, using another screen coming from a proper working FP2 - the problem with my FP2 did not disappear.

I performed a factory reset (!) and the problem did not disappear as well.

Also done without fault indication: Checkup (hardware diagnostics)

Nightlight is off. No other nightlight app installed.

Hope itā€™s OK to resurrect such an old topic :slight_smile:.

Iā€™ve been having the artifact issue since I had the phone and it hasnā€™t been too much of an issue. But over the last couple of months Iā€™ve been experiencing the FP2 incoming call screen freeze issue, but it is also happening with other apps.

The screen wonā€™t respond and sometimes the image on the screen splits down the middle and one side lags a fraction of a second behind the other. Then it usually doesnā€™t respond for about 30-60 seconds and then itā€™ll show an ā€˜App isnā€™t respondingā€™ message and I can close the app and the phone is back to normal. After that I sometimes get strange looking icons as I posted in the first screenshot here.

Iā€™m using LineageOS 17.1.

I know your post is from nearly 2 years ago, but did you manage to fix this issue? Did the new screen help in the end? Iā€™ve cleaned the contacts of my current screen and it doesnā€™t look damaged.

All the best :vulcan_salute: :blush:.

1 Like

I know you didnā€™t ask me but since I had similar issues and followed @paulakreuzerā€™s attempts also, I thought Iā€™d chime in.

As far as I know, the new screen didnā€™t help. (See comment here)

I donā€™t know if your problem is the same as mine was, but my issue was fixed by sending the phone to be repaired. Iā€™m not super knowledgeable in these things, but I tried explaining my issue and everything I tried as best as I can in this thread. Iā€™m not exactly sure what the issue in the end was, but FP support thought that it might be a problem with the GPU, and the issue was fixed by changing the motherboard/core module. If youā€™re better than me with tech stuff (which, admittedly, is not a very high bar), you might be able to fix the issue without having to change the whole module, but for me that was the only thing that helped.

Itā€™s been maybe a year since my phone was repaired, and the problem hasnā€™t come back so far. I mean, my phone is slow at times and I do get the occasional noisy/pixelated stuff, but I barely even notice it (itā€™s nowhere as bad as before, just a few pixels here and there once a month or so).

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Thatā€™s really useful information. Iā€™m glad you managed to solve it :slight_smile:.

Sounds very much like a core module problem then. I think repairing that might be a bit out of my comfort zone, but Iā€™ll have a look into it (or getting a second hand module on the forumā€™s marketplace). Iā€™ve had it for 3 1/2 years so itā€™s not in warranty any more.

In itā€™s current state it is becoming unusable, but I feel optimistic that I can keep my FP2 going a bit longer :blush:.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello again.

Iā€™m just trying to troubleshoot a bit deeper and see whether it is a hardware or software issue :face_with_monocle:.

Iā€™ve managed to get a logcat of the ā€œincoming call crashā€ I mentioned above.

Iā€™ve tried finding a guide, but havenā€™t managed to find anything illuminating. Can anyone point me in the right direction? There appear to be a lot of graphics related errors that I donā€™t understand. I have LineageOS 17.1 (latest build) with pico opengapps.

Many thanks.

PS: If itā€™s of interest, whatā€™s the best way to share the logcat file here? The forum wonā€™t let me add a text file.

You may zip the logcat and add e.g. ā€œ.ttfā€ at the end of the filename. Then you can upload it to the forum. You should mentioned that anyone downloading it should remove that extensionā€¦

Or you can surround it by the tags
[details=ā€œClick here to see logcat outputā€]
your logcat output as text
[/details]

It would look like that then:

Click here to see logcat output

your logcat output as text

4 Likes

Thanks Volker :slight_smile:! Smart workaround.

So for anyone who would like to take a look. Iā€™ve attached ā€œlogcat.zip.ttfā€. Please remove ā€œ.ttfā€ from the filename and unzip to reveal the logcat.

Iā€™ve started the logcat just as the call comes in, but I get a similar behaviour when an app crashes. This is now happening more often (5-6 times a day), but it always appears to recover after about a minute or so with a ā€œClose Appā€ message.

Iā€™ve tried looking up the different entries, but I havenā€™t manged to find anything relevant online. To me it looks like the error occurs at 15:02:38 with a whole series of GPU related entries. This roughly fits with me observing the screen stuttering for a second or two before the screen freezes completely. The ring tone continues to play and stops as it should when the other person hangs up.

Any help is appreciated. I guess my initial question is, does it look like a hardware or a software issue? My instinct is a hardware issue, as it appears to be getting worse.

Thanks for looking.

logcat.zip.ttf (29.6 KB) [running LineageOS 17.1 (latest build)]

2 Likes

Hello,
I have the same issues (strange screen issue + incoming call screen issue). The ā€œApp isnā€™t respondingā€ issue described by @gapintheclouds also happens with other apps. The worse is when it happens with the clock app and I canā€™t turn off the alarm in the morningā€¦

I will try to make some tests during the holidays as I have a second FP2 I can use in the meantime. Until then, I tried the advice found in another thread: I turned off the transition animation scale, the window animation scale and the animator duration scale. I have had just a few app crashes in the last 5 days and never with the phone app. So Iā€™m pretty happy that my elderly FP2 isnā€™t dying after all. Not yet!

2 Likes

The behavior has nothing to do with the OS. Iā€™ve test LOS, Fairphone Open as well as /e/: The artefacts and the freeze occurs in all 3 OS. It seems to be a GPU-issue - a manufactured or damaged chip.

See also Fairphone B.V. won't repair FP2 which is within warranty? (with screenshots).

1 Like

Thanks @chrisse. I tried the advice in the thread you found, but it didnā€™t make a difference. It took a while as it kept crashing while scrolling in the Settings app.

But since then a generous person sent me a spare core module they had and itā€™s all working again. Iā€™m now thinking about how I can prevent this from happening again. If itā€™s because the GPU is overheating, does anyone know if it is possible to minimise GPU usage? I can disable the animation settings mentioned in the link in the post. But are there any other methods in Android to do this? Iā€™ve had a look and I canā€™t find anything useful.

For reference, I managed to take a picture of the split screen issue I was having (below).

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m wondering whether to use this method to fix. Could I ask how much it cost to fix by Fairphone please?

@LL435 I already answered you in the PM you sent me, but hereā€™s the same info in case anyone else is wondering:

My device was still under warranty when i sent it in to be repaired, so I actually didnā€™t end up paying anything. Fortunately, though, there was a mix-up at the repair center and I got a quotation document / bill after they diagnosed my phone. So I still have the information youā€™re after :slight_smile:

The shipping was free (not sure if this was because of warranty or do they do this with all cases). The price of fixing the phone was 165,83ā‚¬, VAT included. I was also given the choice of not getting the phone repaired after all, either getting it shipped back to me in the condition it was in (this option was 15,30ā‚¬) or having the repair center destroy it (free of charge).

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for the reply and the information. Our problem is exactly the same as you had. I think because our phone is 6 years old then, if itā€™s likely to cost that much, we may put that money towards a new FP3 instead as thereā€™s no guarantee something else might go wrong. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @gapintheclouds,
After re-reading this thread, I am wondering if you already had these problems before Lineage 17.
I have experienced the same issues as you on Lineage 17 (I think it started on 16 already). Then I did a complete reinstallation from scratch and installed /e/ pie. I havenā€™t had any troubles for 15 days (some mild dots like @morgensternā€™s pictures in the first post, but not as bad). Then I have upgraded to /e/ Q and some of the problems are back. Mainly: the dots appear more often and are often followed by an app freezing. It happens a lot with my news app, so I thought it might be related, but it also happens with Signal.
I upgraded yesterday and I already have had 3 freezes today.

Could it be Android 10 -related? I would guess not, because I think that I experienced issues on Lineage 16, but the problems appearing with my upgrade are quite obvious. Could it be something else related to my upgrade, but not Android-10 related?

2 Likes