Storage upgrader on kola nut 1.8.5

Hi! I’m afraid you cannot do the Storage Upgrade from Fairphone OS 1.6 (aka Cherry) anymore. Apparently the Fairphone Team have taken the 1.6 Storage Upgrade from their servers ( :exclamation::question:)… You can only do the Storage Upgrade, if you are on Fairphone OS 1.8.5.

Thanks, Stephan, tried that, had already downloaded this version, but still didn’t get the choice in the menu to do the Storage Upgrade. So I thought I had to go back to 1.6, which I did, but that didn’t work, either.

Hm… then you can try to do the update manually.

Thanks for the link, Stephan! Does this mean I should do this in two steps, first install Kola Nut manually, and then the Storage Upgrader?

And it’s not a problem if I do this using my MacBook Air? And maybe I could just update to Kola Nut in the regular way, and then do the Storage Upgrader manually, to exclude mistakes, as I’m extremely inexperienced in all of this? :flushed:

From your saying that you “had already downloaded this version”, I took that you had upgraded to 1.8.5 and there was no option to do the Storage Upgrade… But you have never been on 1.8.5, am I right? :wink: If so, you can follow the Interactive Tutorial on how to update to 1.8.5. You should then be able to do the Storage Upgrade through the Fairphone Updater.

If you need further assistence, don’t hesitate to ask!

I am a bit confused:
I upgraded a FP1 from 1.6 (without the storage upgrader) to 1.8.5 successfully. Everything seems to work fine.
Now I want to apply the storage upgrader based on 1.8.5
BUT: Opening the Fairphone Updater I see this message:
“Dein aktuelles Betriebssystem ist 1.8.5” and NO information that there is a storage updater available (and not installed).
Clicking “Betrete den fortgeschrittenen Modus” I read:
“Android für Fairphone”. Clicking on this I find this:
"Ältere Versionen: Storage Upgrader 1.8.5"
So: Does that mean, that I have to install now this OLDER Version of 1.8.5 after having installed the newest version?

Ok, this headline is REALLY unfortunate (CC @anon12454812). Here is the interactive tutorial in German about installing the Storage Upgrade. It should better say OTHER versions than OLDER versions… (“Andere” statt “Ältere”).

Hm … this " interactive tutorial" is not helpful for users of 1.8.5:
It is pointing to “Weitere Informationen findest du in diesem Artikel.” and in “dieser Artikel” the storage upgrading for 1.6 only is explained … no words about 1.8.5 …
BTW: After having installed 1.8.5 without upgrading the storage it seems, that the RAM is used much more effective so, that now I am not running out of memory using the same apps as before - and even two more!

You need to click the pink button, which says “Weiter”. The actual tutorial starts here.

Ah … now I see it after scrolling down …
Maybe you can put this pink link within this text also "“Weitere Informationen findest du in diesem Artikel.” ??

I can’t do anything because the support tutorials are maintained by the Fairphone Team. I’m not an employee of FP. If you have suggestions to improve the interactive support tutorials. please direct them to Support.

Hi Stefan, well to tell you the truth, I actually had installed Kola Nut, but then did not see the possibility to do the storage upgrader, and then understood somewhere that I had to go back to Cherry, so that’s what I did. When I still didn’t see a possibiblity to get rid of the partitioning I sort of gave up, and then this conversation started. Very happy that you are helping! Am still wondering, though, if it’s best to do the upgrade first, manually, and then the storage upgrader?

A terrible disaster just happened: I installed Kola Nut, put my apps back, next step would be that the phone would restart, and then a green thing appeared with its belly open, saying ‘no command’. I now have all kind of orange possibilities, haven’t got a clue what to do, and am panicking! It says Android system recovery <3e>
And whatever I do, it keeps on saying No command.

No need to worry. This is the Recovery Mode. Probably you denied superuser access during the update process. The link above tells you how to proceed (finish the update process manually).

2 Likes

OK, just plucked up enough courage to go on. I have the Kola Nut installed, after rebooting in te recovery mode. Now that I follow the steps to install the storage upgrade, I get a warning that I’m currently on a newer version, and that I have to understand all the implications of what I’m doing if I go back. Can’t say I do, LOL, so, should I just ignore this warning and carry on, bravely?

Stefan, I can’t tell you enough how grateful I am for your patience!

1 Like

At least, you must be aware that the Storage Upgrade will erase all your data :warning:, e.g. photos, music, app settings! So a thorough backup (follow the link to get more tips) is recommended, so you can restore everything later. The default Backup & Restore app is not recommended. Better use Titanium Backup.

Careful, of course you need to do the backup to an external medium (SD card, PC)!

If you are on Fairphone OS Kola Nut 1.8.5 and choose “FAIRPHONE STORAGE UPGRADER KOLA NUT 1.8.5.”, there should be no problem with the warning that you are on a newer version. (It’s a bad labelling, I already criticized it in that post. ;))

1 Like

WOW Stefan, it worked!! Thank you very much for all of your help!

2 Likes

@Cornelia: Great! :smile:

@paulakreuzer Apparently the Storage Upgraded for 1.6 is no longer available. The Storage Upgrade can only be done from 1.8.5 anymore (see Fairphone OS Multiple Versions).