Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

May phone was on yesterday for over 8 hours without unlocking - nothing changed.

Same issue here (Germany, 1&1) since this morning approx. 9am CET. The 10 seconds between unlocking the screen and reboot are to short for doing any workarounds…

1 Like

Same for me. Today about 9 CET.

It’s quite a mess if this phone is your second factor for nearly all I do with MFA.

2 Likes

I’m going through the same issue, FP3, Germany, Vodafone, no second user, waiting and hoping for a quick fix.

Same in UK using Tesco Mobile(O2)

I checked the release notes for Google Play Services; there was an update the day before I first encountered this issue: Release Notes  |  Google Play services  |  Google Developers (more details on the change here: SettingsClient  |  Google Play services  |  Google Developers).

The update was to com.google.android.gms:play-services-location:21.0.1… which fits in with the location error I’d seen earlier / some of the comments on the second user thread.

I couldn’t find a way to check the version of that component; but going to settings > about FP3 > Android Version I can see Google play system update listed as 1 June 2022 (so before this fix was deployed). If I click on that I’m asked whether I’m told to restart to update… I’ve not yet done that as I think that will cause the issue to recur (I’ll try later when I’m not so dependent on my phone).

3 Likes

Hi

Same problem here yesterday morning with my FP3+, Switzerland. (I’ve seen a last backup in the morning around 2pm CEST, then nothing)

I’ve done a factor, reset, works for now.

Best
Michael

The same issue bei me…i dont want to loose me data, that iss why i start it again and again…

Sadly yes it will be :frowning:

1 Like

Same here. Started a few hours ago. Just waiting seems to be the best option for now as I’ve read all the posts. But this really sucks

1 Like

I’ve found a way to get logs from my phone (details here) - this involved enabling developer mode on your phone, so probably best only done by those with a Tech background (as this can be a security risk / enable options which if set accidentally can cause issues).

This is from after a factory reset, but there are some entries from before / the first entries in the log are:

[11-11 06:55:21.712 3103:3103 F/libc]
Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -1 (SI_QUEUE) in tid 3103 (init), pid 3103 (init)

[11-11 06:55:21.753 3103:3103 F/libc]
crash_dump helper failed to exec

[11-11 06:56:48.281 9478:9478 E/AndroidRuntime]
FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.trustzoneaccess, PID: 9478
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: dlopen failed: library "libnative-api.so" not found
	at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:1087)
	at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:1008)
	at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1664)
	at com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.trustzoneaccess.TZAccessService.<clinit>(TZAccessService.java:15)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Native Method)
	at android.app.AppComponentFactory.instantiateService(AppComponentFactory.java:129)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.handleCreateService(ActivityThread.java:4178)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1500(ActivityThread.java:238)
	at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1933)
	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:223)
	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7705)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:592)
	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:952)

Hope that’s helpful… Sadly I didn’t spot anything obvious related to the Google Play Services / location components (until long after the factory reset; so I assume those are unrelated).

3 Likes

Alright, thanks for the quick answer!
(Sorry I deleted my previous post, was an accident)

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well since this morning. I’m in Austria, FP3, provider “Yesss!”, did not install any updates recently.

1 Like

Hi, same here, from France, FP3+, provider Free Mobile.
Every firmware update bricks my phone, in one way or the other. Am I supposed to get an emergency Chinese phone to switch to whenever (every six months) an update makes my phone unuseable?

I had the same factory reset loop problem on my FP 3+. “Fixed” it by replacing the FP stock OS with /e/OS. The replacement operation was difficult because I needed to get the serial number from and unlock the bootloader of the phone when it was shutting down after 10-20 seconds after startup.

3 Likes

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum

Apart from the facts that the updates occur far more regularly than six months how often you get them is a bit of a mix in that Fairphone have to checked with the carrier before sending it, so in some cases it may well be six months.

But it would seem that if you phone is bricked every time, how do you get to use it?

Same here. This happened to me overnight.

And the problem is that none of the instructions for restoring the phone after a factory reset work.
Why? I cannot log in to my google account to restore it on the phone, because it has 2 factor authentication, which uses SMS sent to the phone - but I cannot access SMS in the dialogue I am in which is setting up the phone again - I am in effect locked out of the phone’s functionality, which prevents me logging into to google to restore my phone.

Of course, I can’t simply turn off two factor authentication via my PC, since that also requires a 2FA - via the phone - to turn it off.

What the heck do I do now? My phone is basically unusable!

I also had to solve an MFA SMS challenge to log in. I had to tell the phone to use this challenge instead of normal MFA, then the SMS was sent to my device which automatically read and completed the challenge (without my needing to access the messages screen). I’ve had the issue a few times now, and on one of the resets the SMS piece seemed to not work (i.e. I’d request a challenge, but not text seemed to come)… I waited an hour then tried again and all was good - I suspect maybe the services were down or overloaded on my first attempts? Hope that’s some help.

2 Likes

My phone isn’t doing the auto-read thing (for some reason). It may be that I have just hit the same problem you had once.
I will perhaps try to chill and try again later. With phone stuck on reset until then. Can’t undo the factory reset now …

Interesting that this has been going on for days, but only hit some of us later now (network push delays?).

I have a FP3+ on Telenor in Sweden.

1 Like