Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

If you perviously changed your update settings to Don't auto-update apps you should set that back to Over Wi-Fi only (Settings > Network Preferences > Auto-update apps ).

Additional Info

The 3 adb commands you show were to revert the com.google.android.gms compent to an earlier version to avoid the fault. You don’t need to do anything to undo that; as you don’t want to install the version that had been there prior to running those commands, as that would bring back the issue.

However, you can now safely re-enable updates, as FP & Google have prevented the faulty version from being pushed, so you won’t get that with any updates; but you may get a later version with the benefits of the previous update; but also including a fix for the bug (once that’s available).

Running the adb shell pm enable com.android.vending command as you have done will have undone what running adb shell pm disable-user com.android.vending did (if you didn’t run the distable-user command in the first place then running the enable command will make no difference; it would just enable something that’s already enabled; if you did disable it though, this will re-enable it).

Beyond that, I don’t think you need to do anything; your phone will now receive updates as they’re pushed. You may want to manually kick off an update so you get all the updates that have been queued whilst your device had updates disabled; but if you don’t those updates will occur automatically over time anyway. Personally I’d also restart the phone for a clean start with the new settings; though that’s likely not required.

If you’re having any issues though, and need help fixing those, it’s worth creating a new post on this forum stating your issues, and linking to this thread saying that the issues came after following the steps here. People can then help you with those issues / say if any are related to actions taken in this thread, or if the timing’s just coincidental / etc.

Hope that’s some help.

@JohnLBevan Thanks for your answer ! I should have mentioned that my phone works like a charm since I entered the first 3 commands. I just wanted to be sure that I haven’t missed an important step.

1 Like

The question is:

What happens with the deinstalled com.qualcomm.location?

Must it be reinstalled or something like this?
Or is it not used?

I’m sure FP will update you all once they have the information/ addressed the root cause with an OTA update

You don’t need to do anything about it. Keep it disabled and stay tuned for the next update.

3 Likes

Solved! - at least for me. Originally, I used the official solution but could not complete in time before the phone rebooted. The official solution was:

1. Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all XX apps.
  2. Find Google Play Services.
  3. Tap the 3-vertical-dot button in the top right corner.
  4. Tap Uninstall Updates.
  5. Tap OK.

What made it work for me was gaining a bit of extra time. I did this by swiping down and opening the Settings screen BEFORE I logged in with my security code. Then I carried on following the rest of the instructions with just enough logged-in time to complete all the steps.

Chris

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Repatateur Berlin

Thank you so much to all of you for your contributions to find solution to this issue.
Really happy to recover all my picture from my FP3 !

1 Like

I have a problem directly related to this one.

I have been able to disable/deinstall Google Play Store and related Google Apps.
However, due to the disabling of the Play Store app, non of my other apps can currently be updated. Which is a particular problem for my online banking app. I NEED to update it in order for it to keep working. I have already been getting warning messages that this current version will soon stop working alltogether.
I could live (with some withdrawel symptoms, I shall admit) without any other of the apps on my phone, but it is ofcourse crucial I can still manage my finances.

Does anyone perhaps have any suggestions or smart ideas how I could update my banking/finances app?

I’m not technical at all, so I hardly understand what I should do with my phone (I am happy I managed to disable the Play Store app without any major damage) and furthermore English is not my native language, which is an extra barrier when it comes to understanding and solving technical issues.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

You can temporarily re-enable the Google Play Store app, update yourchoice of apps and then disbale it later. However I think the problem it was supposed to mitigate has been fixed in the latest 0019.1 release.

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/new-release-beta13-a-0019-1-mr4-release-candidate/91617

1 Like

When you have deinstalled the Google Play Services Updates you can just enable the Play store, the faulty update of the play services is long gone.

For Screenshots see here

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.