Spectre vulnerability: Fairphone 1 fix?

Dear FP community, if I’m not mistaken, FP1 is susceptible to Spectre (perhaps, also FP2?). I know that it is not supported any longer but seeing that this seems to be a rather serious issue will it be possible to release appropriate fixes (in as far as they become available for the processor)?

From how I understand Android Security Bulletin—January 2018  |  Android Open Source Project Google is not going to fix anything in Android older than 5.1.1, so realistically I don’t assume the FP1 will get a fix.

The FP2 should be fine because Fairphone always provides the monthly updates and according to above article, the next Android patchlevel 2018-01-05 will contain all the fixes. But that only covers Android itself. For proprietary components, e.g. from Qualcomm, it depends on those vendors to provide fixes.

Edit: Google has made the following statement at Google Online Security Blog: Today's CPU vulnerability: what you need to know

Furthermore, we are unaware of any successful reproduction of this vulnerability that would allow unauthorized information disclosure on ARM-based Android devices.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Meltdown/Spectre

Regarding FP1’s vulnerability for Spectre, its processor cores are an in-order design which might not be affected at all. In comparison the Raspberry Pi 3 isn’t vulnerable with its - in-order-execution - A53 cores.

This is my personal speculation, though.

2 Likes

Good point. Meltdown and Spectre are vulnerabilities based in design errors of speculative code execution. Any processor that lacks this feature can’t be affected, like Raspberry Pi’s and Fairphone FP1’s, :+1:

2 Likes

According to ARM you are right and CPU’s based on their Cortex-A7 design are not affected.

So, no Spectre or Meltdown on an FP1.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.