Sound delay on Fairphone 5

Maybe slightly off topic
I just had my first phone call with the FP5 (using VoLTE). And I had a lot of latency, it felt like a second, we were constantly talking over each other. Anybody else had this?

Not sure if this is related, but when i ping the FP5 (wifi), i get a RTT of 100 to 200 ms, sometimes 1000 ms. My 10 year old S4 has <10 ms.

You ping your FP5 on the local WiFi network? Because then 100-200ms is extremely high for a local network.

But the Bluetooth latency is indeed there, I have the same with Teams meetings. But itā€™s useable for me and also without headset there is of course a latency.

@UPPERCASE
Yes, i ping it on the local network. What ping times do you get?

$ ping 192.168.1.100
PING 192.168.1.100 (192.168.1.100) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=147 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=150 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=94.0 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=84.7 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=123 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=128 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=254 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=79.8 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=117 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.100: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=124 ms

That might be as well due to some power saving state. I donā€™t know. Like I said, my S4 has <10ms (and longer battery life than the FP5)

Iā€™m not home this weekend and donā€™t have a second device to ping myself on the WiFi Iā€™m on now. But when I ping this forum on the Internet I have a <10ms connection. I expect an even lower ping on the local network. I can test on my local WiFi on Sunday, if I donā€™t forget :nerd_face:

So i got an Update from the Support:

" Regarding the sound issue

Iā€™m sorry this is taking so long, our team is still looking into this issue and will update you as soon as there is news about it."

1 Like

Do you have new update about this?

After months waiting they reached to me about 2 weeks ago to tell me to make sure I got the last update and see if it kept happening. I told them that I was in the latest build and that it kept happening, and no response after that. I know that there is a lot of issues or whatever, but it really gives the impression that they are just waiting for an update to be released so they can come back to tell you if you are trying in the latest build, even if the update have anything to do with the problem. Itā€™s sad, I really wanted to help them with this. :frowning:

1 Like

Same here. Thatā€™s behavior says how much they care about it :sweat_smile::confused:

Iā€™m having the same issue, itā€™s driving me insane. I have a sound lag between 500-1000 ms (perceived at least). And no Iā€™m not using Bluetooth speakers.

By the way this seems to only happen with games. Videos are fine. As a test I just tried the game shatter (netflix version) and itā€™s easy no notice a big delay (around half a second at described here). Same game version on my partnerā€™s Samsung s21, no perceived audio lag. Pretty awful difference.

I have the same problem with games like ā€œrandom diceā€ or "smash hit, Rocket league sideswipe work without any delay. Itā€™s probably related to the issue that Guillermoggl have find.

Got a new reply from support. They set it to low priority.:confused: I think itā€™s the most noticeable fault but ok they are on it and if it is fixed in 6 month or so Iā€™ll look forward to it. Here a quote from the supporter reply:

"I wanted to provide an update on the issues you are experiencing and let you know that our team has successfully reproduced the issue and captured logs on the Fairphone 5. They will use this information and work on resolving the bug.

For now, this is considered low priority and it can take a few months until it is fixed. We will are not able to provide ongoing status updates, so please keep an eye on our Release Notes page for more information."

2 Likes

Lag of any Nature is annoying. Epically When it comes to gaming. Sound I can tolerate nowadays, because Bluetooth is a few seconds delay when it comes to sound when gaming or just watching content in general. Just like playing games on Older hardware with 15FPS was bad compared to the modern 60+FPS today. Everything has its faults. I grew to tolerating it since the NES, SNES, N64 days. Just nowadays everythingā€™s is more wireless instead of good old fashioned Wires which were a tripping hazard back in the day. Hope this story has inspired you to tolerate it till there is a fix for this issue with Lag. I know I Can. Unless you want to go old school. I hear records are making a comeback from the disko age :smile:

Why does everyone think it concerns Bluetooth :smile: the delay is right out of your phone, no cable no Bluetooth. Just :loud_sound:. About 500ms delay in 90% of the games I got on my phone.
Also the delay is via USB-c cable headphones.

1 Like

I just got a reply too. But they didnā€™t tell me about it being on low priority and closed the issue right away. I really donā€™t understand this way of communicating, instead of being transparent and upfront and trying to collaborate, they seem to be sneaky and disappear.

I can understand that this isnā€™t a dealbreaker for everybody, and that there is other issues, but if there is a list of priorities, at least share it so that I know were we are. I am a game developer, I play a lot on the phone, it kind of is a dealbreaker to me, and I payed a premium amount of money for a phone that doesnā€™t have premium specs. Just be transparent about the issue, maybe even we can find a workaround by our side. All this experience has been so frustratingā€¦

1 Like

I was talking in general terms buddy. Yes I have been fallowing this thread. I was saying it as a joke that life is better than the 90ā€™s in many ways. After all we donā€™t need to have a world where we have to go back to playing board games or card games just because we hate the things we have today. Just be thankful that we have the technology that brings us joy today. We have it good today compared to the past, and Iā€™m proud of how far weā€™ve come in terms of tech. Sorry that joke bothered you so much.

I am sorry !! I didnt want to offend you or something like that. Your kind message was welcome and i just thought like at the start of the topic that it start going off-topic and that its getting missunderstood again.
All good, have a nice weekend buddy :slight_smile:

Just got my Fairphone 5 in Amsterdam and installed Clash of Clans, Brawl Stars and both game lag heavily with sound. Installed latest updates, and there is still obvious delay between pressing buttons and game actually playing sound. No speakers, directly sound from phoneā€¦

Just found this thread, interesting to know how long this has been an issue. I have this delay issue with GTA San Andreas and Jetpack Joyride (Classic and Test Lab). I thought with GTA it was some kind of performance issue, that the phone couldnā€™t keep up with the audio, but JJ? No idea.
Funnily enough the most shoddily programmed, laggy game I play, CSR2, doesnā€™t have this issue.

Make sure to report this to Fairphone support, or it will never be fixed. (This forum is just a user community.)