Software update Kola Nut 1.8

That got fixed for me by opening the updater app and closing it again by pressing the back button (at least, I think that fixed it). Maybe a reboot will help as well.

1 Like

Oh, come on. That ‘tutorial’ is not at all helpful.
“New launcher. Press the menu key to get access.” Are you kidding me?

Show us the changes in the interface. More screenshots. More words to explain how it’s different and how it works. Or show it in a quick Youtube video.

1 Like

The Homescreens come back when you drag an app to the side of the screen. A second homescreen will appear.

The keyboardissue will be solved bij instaling the Google apps.

1 Like

Thank’s Rick & Shiny

@ Fairphone Team:

The link to download the update manually on http://www.fairphone.com/tutorials-en/#/fairphone/fairphone/software-update/usecase/manually-installing-an-update-on-fp1u/2 is invalid (in all 3 languages).

Please fix it.

Thanks, best regards
Bobby

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of the bigger icons. It makes them look slightly blurry. It’s like the icons were designed for the smaller size and were just blown up to match the bigger size. Roll on 1.9 where we can at least choose if we want bigger icons or not.

12 Likes

Anybody knows where to find the Play Store and Play Services? I re-installed the Google stuff twice, but I can’t find those in my Apps and some other apps don’t work because they don’t find Play Services either…

EDIT: I found a solution. Via settings I found Play Store and Play Services in my “Downloaded Apps” list. I de-installed updates on both apps. Play Store than re-appeared in my apps launch list, where I opened it and updated Google Services from within the Play Store app. Everything works now. So, only a few hours to go to get my home screen back to how it was…

Where did all the preinstalled wallpapers go? If I go to settings > display > wallpaper and when it asks where to pick a wallpaper from I tap “wallpapers”, I get the default wallpaper plus a bunch of live wallpapers (which I’d expect to see only when selecting “Live wallpapers”).

1 Like

The update also deleted my calendar. As I don’t synchronize with Google I’m very lucky that I recently saved it on my PC with MyPhoneExplorer. A little warning would be nice anyway!

P.S.: Please don’t get frustrated because of all the negative feedback, Fairphone folks! I do appreciate that you still update the phone regularly. Doesn’t seem to work very smoothly this time, though…

2 Likes

Hi !
I follow your instructions for update my fairphone >>Tutorial : Software update › Install update using the Update app
But when my phone reboot (step 11) nothing happen, I’m still using Fairphone Cherry 1.6. (I checked on “Fairphone updater”) I tried 3 times … I don’t know what to do …
Thank you
Lise

Just the same here: updated twice, and when the phone reboots, nothing has changed and I’m still on 1.6.

Hi
Same here. downloaded, installed (android with spinning “ding”), reboot, decrypt device, -> 1.6
and i cant install google apps because there are installed (cant open app store)

Chris
fairphone 1
Update: last step 11. - reboot- no step 12 (no language selector)

Feedback is always welcome! No worries. :slight_smile: Keep it coming!

Hi!
I made It.
Open “Fairphone Updater” and click on “Fair phone OS” on the bottom of your screen. Then select the new software udapte.
After that click on “Install new version”.
Sorry for my english, I hope you will understand my explanation !
Lise

So my experiences with the update:

• The first time the update did not seem to have succeeded
  • The second time it did, but the Google apps failed to install due to the updater “working” in the background. OSMonitor did not show anything active…
  • Restarting the phone via the power button did not solve this either
  • After reading the hint of opening the FP Updater again, it gave me a huge Restart button. Hitting that cleared the way for the Google app installer.
  • Installation of the Google apps means another reboot, a bunch of updates to the Google apps, then everything should be set.

Thanks to the entire team for making this happen! During the month I have my FairPhone, I already had more OS updates than I had in 2.5 years on my HTC :stuck_out_tongue: .

I like the new launcher. For people unsure about having only 3 home screens: new screens are added as needed if you drag an app or a widget to the border of the last one.
One issue I found is that it seems possible to get it into a state where it fails to snap to an entire home screen, keeping hanging in between 2 screens like this

The view does not block (sliding from left to right), but widgets on neither screen seem to work.
And now it seems to work normally again after having entered the new launcher again …
Another nice fact is that the new launcher allows changing the order of the home screens (though dragging them around in the launcher seems to cause some slight artifacts (as if the borders of the home screen being dragged around get stuck to the background, the vertical lines):

For now, the update does not seem to have fixed the black backgrounds in Google Play, but that’s a purely cosmetic issue anyhow…

When opening a folder for the first time, I get a helpful explanation that it is a folder, and how to create one. But I know how they work since I just created one. This might make more sense if there were already a folder.

If I discover anything else, I’ll add it here.

2 Likes

Hi Rick!

I have a problem with the update. The Keyboard isnt working - so i read in the forum to insta the Google apps. Unfortunately i deleted my w-lan by mistake. Now Google apps tells me to connect to wlan - wich i cant because the keyboard isnt working!
What do I have to do???
Thanks for your help.
Anke

I realized that a bunch of Google apps don’t work properly after re-installing them. Play Store didn’t even appear in the lancher. The Google search widget wasn’t in the widget list either. Solution in both cases. Go to “settings” > “apps” and chose the specific app, then de-install updates. Afterwards missing apps and widgets did appear.

Can you talk about how it’s more similar to Kitkat? There’s quite a few things I don’t like about Kitkat

Ok, now the keyboard decided to work. Everything works!!

Hi Bobby, thanks for reporting it. The links are indeed missing, as are the files - I am going to make sure this is fixed first think in the morning.

1 Like