Software update Kola Nut 1.8

And then it couldn’t connect to the gallery… and then once i found the panels I had to rebuild all my shortcuts… which didn’t fit as the icons are too big…

At the risk of being banned for questioning a moderator…

What you actually say here, Robin, is that we who have vented frustration over the update experience (and apparently not completely without cause since the update is temporarily postponed) ought to have kept silent since our complaints haven’t been ‘reasonable’.

Yes, there are a lot of posts simply stating, again, what has already been said before and therefore pointless or superfluous. But it is a web forum, for God’s sake, and this is only to be expected. And there are a few posts verging on the impolite/insulting (but very few).

I’ve noticed that many of the critical posts actually have received ‘likes’ from members of the FP team who obviously have seen that a few nuggets of gold were to be found among a huge load of maybe not to well voiced disappointment. This has impressed me and also made me think a bit more of what I’ve written myself before hitting the 'reply’button. Probably much more efficient for keeping up a decent forum climate than rapping people’s knuckles.

Not at all, questioning is the foundation for discussion. Notice how I say ‘reasonable’ not ‘right’ :slight_smile: The fact that there are flaws in this update is undeniable, possibly more flaws than features. I, personally, much more appreciate people who balance good facts with the lesser ones. I do not judge people who tend to express their regards, negative or positve. Ofcourse, and this is undeniably typical for us, human beings, commenting on someones failures is a lot easier than -once again- balancing your thoughts.

As I’m not a native English speaker, perhaps I shoudl’ve chosen my words more carefully. What I meant by ‘reasonable’ is calm (yes written text can be calm or aggressive), critical yet polite and more or less ‘neutral’.

I agree completely with how you say that the forum is being bombed with negativity, perhaps this ‘clouds’ my judgement, can’t argue with that. I was just trying to express how for us, moderators (but I may speak for myself here), it is nice to see a post which is not completely negative yet balanced and constructive.

But, for the time being, I’ll stop complaining as I understand all frustrations and issues, yet on the other hand: I see what the Fairphone team tries to do, and I’m just imagining how they’re feeling at the moment as well, and we can all imagine and possibly agree that that won’t be a pleasant feeling.

Let’s just keep in mind that we’re all human beings and humans make mistakes (‘errare humanus est’).

To finish, as a community moderator I’m obliged to keep the thread going one way and not diverting in (possibly for some) useless directions, so I’ll stop going down the philosophical/ethical road :slight_smile:

If you have any comments regarding my judgement and replies, please feel free to PM me, I’m very open to criticism if directed to me personally.

EDIT:
By the way, do we come over as such unreasonable moderators? :’( I don’t think anyone has ever been banned for questioning a moderator? The only reason users have been banned on this forum was for posting spam :smile:

5 Likes

Thanks, Robin, for taking the time to give a most reasonable reply! English is but a second language for me as well, so maybe it’s all about interpretation really.
Friends?

3 Likes

Uhr, wow, I don’t know how this talk of Marx got in here, that’s a really wide swing for sure.

Improvements can be just that. Sometimes things work in a erratic or inconsistent way, or they may not work properly at all. Fixing those issues are an improvement when viewed objectively. However, they may still be met with resistance because people are used to working in some way and have a hard time accepting that the new way ultimately is more efficient. It’s this transition period where people are negative about the new and long for the old. It’s basically people getting sentimental about what they’re used to.

It’s always difficult with software development. It’s often hard to make changes in the way software works without people getting up in arms about it. I see it regularly at my own job. For exame, there’s this piece of functionality that’s really hard to use and understand for new users because it works in a really unpredictable way (buttons and settings don’t have the effect you’d expect them to have). Even our own developers have to dive into the programming code to refresh their memory on how it worked again. I’ve tried to change this functionality on more than one occasion. The same things could be done before, but in a more obvious way. Every time though, experienced users complained about the changes and demanded them to be rolled back because suddenly it no longer worked like they expected to. Instead of reading the release notes or the accompanying manual to get acquainted with the new (and honestly, not that different) functionality, they did nothing but complain.
We’re making changes though, but in much smaller steps so the transition isn’t as big of a leap and less scary for end users.

2 Likes

Hi,
Tried to update today. Result: most widgets gone, but it says Can’t open file when I check the update. No idea why it doesn’t open, I have over 14 GB free dataspace.
Can’t work the google updater b/c of the failed download.
Help?

I really think it´s a good idea you postponed the update!
Maybe next time you should not have techies in a developer forum test the whole thing. They do stuff like this every day and maybe do not mind spending some time readjusting things. I do!

Yes, you told us that the icons will be removed. What you did not tell us is that they till be bigger and look like from ten years ago.
@keesj it would be nice to have the new launcher soon from Fairphone itself in the play store, soon.

I like the “Fairyphone”!! :smiley:

I agree that there should have been an official announcement here in the forum. But with a big warning that it is only for experienced users. It’s because of the difference between Xda and the Fairphone Forum: On xda you expect users to be experienced, on the FP Forum you cannot make such an assumption.

I also reported this in another thread. It is highly annoying to me.

I’m done reading through over 80 posts in this thread, which have amounted today, and 85% were posts from people, who did not search for a solution, which has already been posted, or, it was from people writing before thinking, and not being constructive. It is a good exercise, to read through a post before hitting “reply” and evaluating, if you would also write your post as it is, when being in a calmer temper.

I agree partly. However, it sounds to me that you are saying that people are not able to learn. A solution against all the useless stuff posted here in the last afternoon and today would be to put up an admin revision, on the days an update is issued. So moderators could avoid threads stuffed with all sorts of rubbish questions, and refer people to the answers, which have already been approved of. Then, I believe, the next time people will consider searching around first.

I think when you announce a BETA version most of people know what this means. Please don’t underestimate the users.

It was not a beta version, but a release candidate. Terminology matters in these situations. Also I think that not everyone knows what a beta version means. Many of the FP community are first-smartphone-users and not experienced in software affairs.

2 Likes

I moved a post to an existing topic: New launcher is… optimizable (Feedback)

Hello @Frederik_Zimmermann, we are considering running a private f-droid install to host most of our applications. This would also allow us to make more updates available without the need to do full system updates. The current solution we are targeting to solve the current problems is to have the two launchers present in the installation and putting the launcher in the app store would start making this more complex.

Also (tech stuff) we moved some of the gapps installation code to the system updater and thus a different apk. The result of this is that the v1 launcher apk we will create will be different from the current one and can therefore not be shared between different Fairphone versions.

2 Likes

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: New launcher is… optimizable (Feedback)

But this will put a tremendous workload on moderators, and if postings are delayed people won’t get any answers and will get even more frustrated.
Yes, there has been a lot of multiple threads asking the same questions or reporting the same problems. But this happens all the time on all forums - I suppose one just have to accept that we humans are no better than that. What happened this time was that the flood of multiple threads and superfluous posting was larger than ever before. And why?
Maybe the most important factor was that the update was launched without sufficient information about how it would change things, without a completed tutorial, and (maybe) with some novelties (the new launcher) that maybe shouldn’t have been put in the package. This is of course just my opinion, but I don’t think it’s completely unfounded, rather it is supported by the fact that the update is postponed at the moment. Compare this with the launching of the repartitioning update: this was followed with much clearer information, warnings even, of what could be expected and the desperate cries for help were very few. Forewarned is forearmed.

People are capable of learning. But that doesn’t mean that they do. Being a historian, I would say that if there is one thing you can learn from history, it is that mankind never learns from history.

2 Likes

For those people (like me) that already downloaded the 1.8 update but didn’t launch the install process afterwards, it’d be cool the next upgrade is marked something like 1.8.1 instead of 1.8, to prevent any misunderstanding (or even, my installer stating that as I already downloaded it, it’ll install straight away the… old 1.8…)

2 Likes

Hi Herve5 the new update will have a different name - so that should be ok!

@kgha the problem with updates is that sometimes we only now what should have been in the tutorials - after we get feedback on what is happening in the field - so it took time to make it complete with the things we did not know yet :wink: but it’s also brand new so still learning!

3 Likes

Best advice about the update I read. I did just that. And if you were here you’d be in free beer for the rest of the evening.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.lulebe.fairphone.launcher&hl=nl_BE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“old fairphone launcher from the Play store”

really excellent advice, the best in the circumstances.

I only had one problem implementing it. Because of the update I couldn’t go access anything googley.

Therefore, anyone despairing, if you have run the update and can’t access google, go through the update posts, there are a number of solutions to get the google widget to work. Use the one you understand best. Once you got it running, install the fairphone launcher and you have all the benefits of the new version and the functionality, beauty, uniqueness of the five-screen desktop.

1 Like

I already requested, that on the day of the update launch there is more Fairphone staff present on the forum to help out. Everyone was a bit overwhelmed about the run on the forum.

@jempix Wasn’t my idea, I just forwarded it! :wink: But thanks anyway! :beer: