Software update Kola Nut 1.8

Hi Fairphoners!

We’re happy to announce that the Fairphone OS software update version 1.8 (named Kola Nut) is ready. Today you should receive a notification on your Fairphone to accept this update once you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.

The software update will be available from your Fairphone Updater app, which will automatically check for the update. When updating, please make sure your phone is charged over 80% or plugged into an outlet. Check here for more information about this software update.

Please ask questions and add comments in this thread.

Together with the new software update we released an interactive support page for help related to the update. For now the interactive support page only covers the software update. We are planning to expand the interactive support further in the future, so we would like to hear your feedback! Please ask questions and add comments about the interactive support page in the following topic: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/please-give-feedback-on-our-new-support-tutorials-here

Cheers,

Rick
The Fairphone Team

7 Likes
  1. On the interactive support page: there is an animated how-to, step by step.
    Each step is clearly legible while the next and previous ones partly appear at bottom and top il a very light grey.
    The trouble is, when loading the page the first time, everything is colored in this ultra-light grey in the first step: the newcomer (that I am) is a bit shocked by what he interprets as a first and not legible §… He has to click on the ‘next’ arrow to just read …
    Mind you, when you see how insulting the post can be from guys that didn’t find the right help immediately… I’d say this matters…

2. on the role of the forum: frankly, there is currently 50 times more advice and details in the forum than in the tech help. And still the link to the forum lies at the very bottom of the page, indeed in a place some readers may even forget to check.
    Remember we lived already a complicated migration from one old forum to another.
    Will you create another such event?
    I’d say, raise this forum awareness…

Hi,

I can not find any information about the battery problems at the changes page.

Was something done to fix this issue?

regards,
Shiny

3 Likes

Hello

How can I see which version is now on my FairPhone ?
Thank’s

Michel

This could be a first job for the new interactive tutorials ;-).

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We’ve have created a separate topic for questions and feedback about the interactive support page: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/please-give-feedback-on-our-new-support-tutorials-here

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Shiny, as far as I am aware there are no specific battery fixes in this update. Could you update and then let me know if the situation stays exactly the same?

1 Like

Do the Bluetooth fixes include a fix for the error people get when enabling Bluetooth while having the default storage location set to SD?

1 Like

Hi Michel,

I recommend you to use our interactive support page for this: http://www.fairphone.com/tutorials-en/#/fairphone/fairphone/about-your-fairphone/usecase/which-fairphone-os-version-do-i-have

Cheers,

Rick

What does the new launcher menu do? Does it replace the quick access menu (I love the quick access menu. I don’t want to update if it will remove the quick access menu)?
“Use the Settings button to access the launcher and quickly move through your home panels.” Does it mean I won’t be able to move from a panel to another by simply swiping to the left or to the right on the home screen?
How will I be able to use the settings button other than for the launcher menu?

All FP1 and FP1U owners should have now received a newsletter explaining all about the software update.

Check your Inbox! And get on Wi-Fi for that update :wink:

Check this interactive tutorial out on what’s new in v1.8:

It’s Downloading now!

I read that already. It doesn’t explain what the menu does or if it will replace the quick access menu or the settings button. It only says “New launcher : Press the menu key to get access.” This is not helpful.

3 Likes

Hi,

It doesn’t remove the quick access menu, it just changes the default launcher used on the phone.

2 Likes

I’m on WiFi, I have rebooted and I’m staring at the FairPhone updater app right now, but it says there are no updates available (currently on 1.6). Do I need to be more patient or is something wrong?

edit:
hang on, I disabled WiFi and enabled it again and now the updater app says there is a new version available. Installing now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Marco.

I have never updated to 1.6 because I feared the battery effect. I think I will try this update this evening and downgrade again of I get problems.

regards,
Shiny

Hi Shiny, please do and the downgrading is always on option! Let me know if you run into any issues okay? :wink:

Ahhhhh, the hypersensitive touch screen/ taps interpreted as drags seems to be fixed, and relax.

I can’t install the google apps though, it’s so far alway saying 'Fairphone Updater is updating your operating system in the background. Please try again later, I’ll give it some more time then reboot.

3 Likes

When I try to reinstall the google apps using the widget, it says that the updater is updating the OS in the background and I should try again later. How long is this going to take? It’s not indicating it’s doing anything anywhere.

edit:
Well that fixed itself. I started the FairPhone updater app and closed it again and then the GApps installer worked. Might’ve been a coincidence, dunno.

3 Likes