Software update: FP4.SP29.B.069.20230510

You should try to be a beta tester. I am and we don’t have all the same problems so it is not as easy as because I have a bug, other have it too.

2 Likes

I don’t think running the Beta release is as different as you describe it, especially when taking @peci1 comment into account. FP also mentioned their Beta is less stable and the quality may be worse (hence Beta), people shouldn’t be surprised if they have to factory reset their phone sometimes. You just get an early release that’s less tested, not a total different branch. Unless you’re already on Android 13 of course.

What’s your build number? I suppose it’s the same as FP4.SP29.B.069.20230510

1 Like

Yes, it’s the same build number.

1 Like

I don’t have an FP4 but an FP3.

You don’t need to believe me when I say we don’t all have the same bugs. I really think somebody like you could help a lot being a beta user and you could help to solve all the bugs you find important.
Beta is what it means. It is not alpha so it is not unstable.

1 Like

Good morning,
The update worked well. However, I would be interested to know which background applications were removed. I use my FP4 with a work profile.

1 Like

I don’t want to sound too negative all the time, but the stable releases feel sometimes like alpha releases. I need my phone for work and daily routines. FP needs to improve their internal quality control first before I will risk things being their beta tester.

The wording of the beta program is quite clear, be prepared to run into major issues.

We don’t all have the same issues, but most of them are reproducible. Please don’t make it sound like most issues don’t happen. Those topics are loaded with people complaining about them. Some people don’t run into them because they use their phone differently or for some reason don’t notice. E.g. “I don’t have” the Bluetooth bug because I use different codecs. But the issue is there. One of the outliers is the fingerprint scanner bug.

2 Likes

This time there is no boot image for the update in Fairphone 4 Kernel Source Code — FAIRPHONE open source documentation, yet. I thought they would handle this better since the last ota.

1 Like

Meaning probably that it is a purely “Security” release, meaning only containing the Android security patches Google released in those last weeks (quite a lot IIRC).

Here’s the usual link to the ota.zip for those that need it, have fun :nerd_face:

I’ve uploaded a FPOS-B.069-boot.img (and a Magisk patched one) in case this takes a long time again …

5 Likes

Thanks! In the meantime I had to go through my usual procedure with re-rooting after the OTA and creating the boot images on my own. All in all it works well, now.

1 Like

Smooth update, though I lost two shortcuts from the home screen: one app (Files) and one contact.
And home screen has mysteriously acquired an (empty) additional page, unless I unwittingly created that myself … :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That must be you, because mine has still the traditional 3 pages.
I didn’t know one can have additional pages, there is no mention of this in the (very succinct) “Home Settings”.
How did you (unwittingly) do it? :open_mouth:

Updated today, everything went as expected. I also cannot find any new home screen pages or other changes :see_no_evil:

worry no more, after over a month since the original release date of the android security update, fp4 users receive the may update in june.

just so for the next day the june android announcement is out there, announcing some seriously worrying bluetooth attack vectors and arm gpu driver level trouble etc

any chance of saying when fp4 users will receive the major update from this month, june 2023? thanks.

In July?..

(Seriously, I agree it’s not as quick as one would like it to be, but think about those who only get security updates every 6 months or so…)

6 Likes

A question that brings its own reply.
After a reboot, the extra page disappeared, that’s probably normal since it was empty. However, I’ve been able to create it again by moving an existing shortcut created for the purpose. I’ve even added one more after that. Not that I need it. I now have five pages including the one with At a glance. You speak of “the traditional 3 pages” but I’ve never been aware of any limit.

1 Like

I fully agree :+1::100: with you! They need a larger dev team, so that they can fix bugs and UI issues.

2 Likes

Today I installed the update with no issues so far.

1 Like

I get the feeling that that promise only extends to the hardware. I’m also a beta tester and I feel the communication is, surprise surprise, pretty limited over there as well. Almost everything on their GitLab is listed as “Moved to Quality Gitlab” with no indication of what that actually means. I assume they have a separate GitLab where they list all of the quality of life issues or something.

1 Like

I find it rather standard that companies have an internal bugtracker (might as well be an internal project on the same server) or internal tickets where the actual work gets done. In not a single of my current and previous companies the bug tickets to be worked on by devs were the original customer tickets.

5 Likes