Software Update: Android 11 for Fairphone 3 and 3+

Got the Android 11 OTA update (The Netherlands, yay). However I noticed extremely poor video call quality on Whatsapp. Anyone has the same issue?

Not specifically since this update but has always seemed to sharp in bright sunlight.

It is the same for me.
Thanks for checking!

2 Likes

Same here. Definitely a bug [Edit: but not necessarily introduced in FPOS, may well be a general A11 bug, needs investigation.]

How did those mysterious beta testers miss that, someone will have to draw them to account :slight_smile:

I had the exact same problem in Belgium and had to do a factory reset to solve it. It now works very well for some days :grinning:

1 Like

The manual installation package is now available here.

5 Likes

That’s more like it!
FP3-REL-8901.4.A.0010-gms-f74c58a8-user-fastbootimage.zip
1.6 GB

1 Like

Hi,
After the update to android 11 I’m missing the WiFi settings for 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Anybody knows where to find it now?

This is “normal”.
It is a general change in A11 and the option is now reported to be deprecated by Google.
For FPOS the disappearance of this toggle is being treated as a “feature request” to put it back.

For those who can control the router, a work-around is to have the router use different network IDs for the two frequency bands. If you’re interested in discussing this please start a new thread and link back here.

4 Likes

The option I use as an alternative is

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >

Select the connection you want and use the sub settings icon > Advanced > Auto-connect > ON

In other cases do the same but have the connection . . . . . . . OFF

It’s more fiddly as you have to do this for individual Wi-Fi connections.

However saying that ther were times when I went out and about and couldn’t connect as I had ‘Use only 5GHz’ when there was only 2.4 so I had to then change my setting to 2.4 and then 5 when it was appropriate.

Now each Wi-Fi account has it’s own setting, so I’m not sure the feature request mentioned is necessary.

Just to understand: you would still need to create 2 SSIDs as indicated by @OldRoutard , correct? Else how will it help that it switches “constantly” between 2.4 and 5Ghz, which seem to be an issue sometimes?

Like many users, I found the WiFi connection unstable on my FP3, flicking on and off regularly and booting me off WiFi for no reason. I fixed this by locking the WiFI to 2.4 GHz. Since upgrading to Android 11 the option to choose and lock to a specific WiFi frequency has disappeared and the problem has resurfaced making the phone unusable for home WiFi (e.g. Spotify etc)… It will tell me the frequency it’s on (it flits between 5 and 2.4 which I think is the root of the problem), but won’t let me manually select any more. Any ideas on how to solve?
Build no. 8901.4.A.0010

1 Like

Yes what you say does need considering. I have different SSIDs as that was the case, so it may be more of an issue than I was thinking.

Maybe I’ll have to rename both the the same SSID and see how I cope :slight_smile:

Thanks

Just to clarify, as yvmuell noted, for my ‘auto connect’ resolution to work you will need to see each Wi-Fi band, which as far as I can see can only be done if you have different SSIDs.

Whereas that is fine if you have control of the router, i.e. at home, when out in public this lack of option of choosing can be an annoyance.

Hello!

I’ve updated to Android 11 and my Camera is now complaining about the SD card. It says “Your SD card is running out of space”. Even tough, I have over 10 Gb left. The SD is installed as portable. Already deleted the cache of the Camera app, but no success. In the settings, if I try to change the storage back to SD card, it immediately changes it back to the Phone. Before the update it was working fine.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum

It will depend upon which camera app you are using. The default camera can no longer use an externally formatted SD card, not that internal formatting is the solution.

After A11 google do not allow saving to an unencrypted storage. i.e.a portable SD card unless certain flags are clicked. That option hasn’t been added to the default camera, probably as it wasn’t updated at the same time as the A11

See > Storage Access Framework in the image below

You may like to try Open Camera.

So the reference to running out of space may refer to the internal memory.
Check you have 10GB available there

6 Likes

Since upgrading to Android 11, my FP3 seems to be using battery power much more quickly - I have had to plug it in to charge before the end of each day, which I almost never had to do previously. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Battery Saver is on, by the way.

Hi David,
Increased power consumption is typically observed after an update. The more data you have on the phone, the more this will be noticeable. Give it a few days to settle down and then, if you continue to see this, check the details to see what’s using most power.

Logically, Battery Saver wouldn’t help in this case.

2 Likes