Software Update: 8901.4.A.0016.6

As someone who used a lot of OS, I expect from the default installed OS on any machine to not be any worse after updates. That type of problems is understandable on something like Archlinux, because the user would be expected to have some technical knowledge. But this is not good from a default OS. We are not talking about Windows Vista here.

It’s not a quality to say that FP updates their phones for a long time if their updates are that chaotic. I find it strange that there is no more information about why we have to beta test every update and go in this forum to see what is broken for others before installing it. I’m glad I didn’t installed this one.

This is not a rant against anyone here, wish you a good day everyone

3 Likes

FF have supplied me a beta that fixes the NFC, medical monitoring, issue. However, it is not yet Google certified and is unlikely to fix unrelated issues.

3 Likes

You don’t have to :slight_smile: and there is a beta team, sadly things get missed as the team doesn’t test everything.

Question do arise as why one thing that was working in a previous version fail in the next, yet unlike the NFC fix many do not get sorted for months. Such is the ‘fun’ of a small fair trade company ~ they try :slight_smile:

@amoun
I do not have to beta test because everyone here test it before me :grin: But we (as the userbase) shouldn’t have to worry about updates like this, ideally

But indeed, they try and I respect that

2 Likes

My wife and daughter both use a FP3. First my wife experienced that she had to recharge her FP a lot more often than usual. A full charge would usually last 2-3 days. Now she needs to recharge every day. I installed Accu Battery and used the inbuilt manager but I can’t identify an app that is responsible for the drain.
I also did check for a bloated battery, but everything seems fine.
My wife did not install a new app, but she did install the last system update. Around that time the problems started to occur.
My daughter naturally uses more apps, but her problems also started after installing the last update.
Anyone with similar experiences?
Thank you!

Not specially with this version. But have you seen other topics on heating and battery drain such as this? Also see these remarks I made recently in a FP 4 thread.

2 Likes

I can confirm that. The battery drains and it is no special app that is causing this. Also I experience a much worse performance compared to the previous version.

In total, this was a very suboptimal update and I hope the next one is tested better!

Well I can’t agree with you as I have the update and there is no change in two devices I own. So whatever testing was done seems fine is that respect.

Have you restarted the phone?

Users use different apps and maybe one you are using does indeed use more power but is not recorded. The battery use indicator is rough to say the least.

Sadly it seems either your phone hasn’t been setup well or your usage is more of an issue.

However updates often load the phone with more to do and some battery and performance issues will arise, but not to the extent it would be a noticeable or substantial impact.

So whereas you have noticed an undesirable impact it is more likely to be coincident with the update than embedded in it.

Apologies for not being very helpful but try a restart if you haven’t already done so.

All the best

Thanks for your reply. I restarted my phone to see if it is better now. But for my comment about the quality of the update: It’s by far not the only problem with it. Just look at this thread. The bluetooth issues, the background lighting (again). All these problems shouldn’t happen with a minor update.

Which bluetooth issues do you have, again I have no problems.

The adaptive brightness I do have an issue with :slight_smile:

The issue isn’t if an update should or shouldn’t do this or that but clearly errors do creep in, clearly they are not intentional and are not a matter of ‘should’ but a consequence of low ability on the Fairphone side, no doubt due to low finances etc. and high or common expectations for the Fairphone or general phones respectively…

I supported the Fairphone for it’s ethics in obtaining faire minerals and providing better wages. I’m surprised the phone works as well as it does. I have two with no problems for two years I though I was going to have lots of problems but none to speak of.
I use it as a phone and a casual camera nothing fancy.

But as for support and updates hmm! they are not as smooth as I would like.

Why are you surprised? Should fair minerals and better wages lead to a worse product? If you don’t use child workers and you pay fair wages to adults you should end up with better and more motivated workers which in turn should lead to a better product.

I can accept I have to pay more for a fair phone but not to have a worse product.

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Well I don’t think the problems are down to the miners and factory manufacturers at all.

I think it’s the design and software that Fairphone are responsible for the ‘well being’ of the phone.

So much so that when my daughter wanted one, due to the human rights issue, I bought it as I had no faith in that it would work well enough for her. Then I bought another to ensure I could help her with any problems she had.

The first was water damage which I mitigatde and that again is not down to the miners of factory worked i.e not a fairtrade issue ~ a design issue

The second was failure to work well in her driving situation. Again a Fairphone issue not a fairtrade one.

So my daughter gave up the Fairphone and her partner bought her an iPhone which she is happy with, in that it works, and disappointed in her experience with the Fairphone.

So my suspicions were well founded in that sense, but personally I have no problems so I am surprised that it works for me but not surprised at my daughter’s dumping it.

1 Like

Bluetooth Audio Controls are not working which many users in this thread pointed out.

1 Like

Reporting a minor nuance: shortcuts on homescreen (such as Chrome bookmarks and Drive file shorcuts) disappear after the update. A minor hurdle, since I have added those again, but unnecessary hassle nevertheless.

Hi Solarius,

it’s a well known problem…

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Recognized an additional new “feature”: When dialling from the car (using the panel in the car), the phone diales not once, but twice, trying to set two connections to the called number, not only one. So… basically, the phone has some issues using it as a phone. And still no update.

Have you contacted support @ fairphone, as there is no indication they are aware of your issue

1 Like

I do have an BT issue with my FP3 (latest OS installed):
I do notice it especially if my BT headphones or my Car BT is connected to the Fairphone 3 and a second device as my workphone or my laptop. Periodically there is an interruption of the connection. To me it seems that the FP is sending kind of a heartbeat via BT every x seconds - which will interrupt the connection.

I tested it in connecting the same BT headphones to my work phone and my laptop simultaniously - and there is no interruption. So it must be related to the FP.

I think, that is a joke, isn’t it? It is not my issue.

But you reported that issue, didn’t you?

1 Like