Software Update: 8901.4.A.0016.6

Hi everyone,

Thanks @mpolito1969 for taking the initiative to already start a topic. Much appreciated! Apologies that I was a bit slow on publishing the release notes yesterday.

Here are the details:

Software Version: 8901.4.A.0016.6-gms-f0c20986
Security Patch Level: 5th of August, 2022
Update Size: 98.46 MB

List of changes:

• Fixed an issue that was causing, on certain networks, the mobile data to not be available at first bootup if the device was reset.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the VPN IKEv2 protocol, natively supported by Android 11, not to be available.
  • The network compatibility for various carriers has been enhanced.
15 Likes

Well as this has been officially acknowledged maybe it’s worth noting it’s fine on EE UK

So, let’s increase visibility, shall we … moved into its own topic from here.
And if anybody else could please set the #softwareupdate tag … I can’t.

1 Like

Thanks to the team for fixing the IKEv2 issue.

This update also broke media controls in Bluetooth headphones.

12 Likes

While this update seems to be working fine, I just want to report in, that after updated my FP3 to Android 11 the phone won’t bring the mobile data link up after booting: switching the airplane mode on/off fixes the issue after each boot (country: Finland, carrier: Elisa).

2 Likes

Another user who has the same issue:

3 Likes

Hi, I have a serious issue with NFC following this update. I use The Freestyle Libre app to scan the blood glucose monitor on my arm to manage my diabetes.
Unfortunately now whenever I scan my sensor, it does a long beep and says it failed to scan. Nothing else has changed and I am seriously stuck.
This is a requirement for my healthcare. Can I revert the upgrade to the previous which worked fine?

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can revert by manually installing the previous update.

Here is a link to dowload an image of the previous version 0013.4
https://fairphone-android-builds.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com/FP3/FP3-REL-8901.4.A.0013.4-gms-c1b5afb7-user-fastbootimage.zip

Here is the page for links to all versions

Here are official instructions on how to manually install a version.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332-FP3-Install-Fairphone-OS-offline

Before you do this I would recommend you contact Fairphone urgently either via email support@fairphone.com or by calling

For urgent/existing requests you can contact us by phone:

+31 20 788 4400

Monday to Friday, 10:00-16:00 CET

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

Before you downgrade which means a complete reset of your phone, have you restarted the phone,did you try to disable NFC and reenable, with restart oft the phone inbetween? Can you somehoe reset the connection of phone and Freestyle Libre? Is there any other way to connect the devices?

1 Like

Is it expected for widgets/shortcuts to disappear after updates? I had a bunch of links to google maps addresses on one my screens which all disappeared after the update?

It’s not related to this update, it’s an already known issue.

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Known, yes. But being worked on? I doubt it, because when I reported it to support they wanted me to reset to factory settings which I refuse to do if it’s just a stab in the dark.

I disabled Digital Wellbeing recently to see if that helps and have successfully rebooted twice so far.

Thanks for your link to the other report of the same issue. I have done a cold restart of the phone, also have stopped and restarted the LibreLink and the NFC apps, to no avail. I also had an old unused sensor that I stuck on my other arm and attempted to twin with the app, but again the same scan error. As @ralfberlin says in the other thread, an NFC service component is likely at fault since the update. I have logged it with FF support, who are now asking me to prove that I own the phone…
Whatever, it seems that I shall have to do the reset/downgrade later today, because I have very few finger-prick tests with me.

4 Likes

A “reset” does that mean a reset to factory settings? So going up no data is lost (over the air), but going down a version means losing everything which is not back up at Google??

1 Like

Yes with reset I meant a factory reset. When you manually flash something (up or down) and your bootloader isnt unlocked already all data will be wiped. When your bootloader is unlocked, normally an upgrade will not cause data loss, however a downgrade would normally cause a data loss. Having good back-up is always a good idea :wink:

1 Like

Updated to 8901.4.0016.6 yesterday and after a reboot the assignment of SIM1/SIM2 to functions (SMS, Phone, Internet) is again lost.

This issue existed before (cf. 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Report: 1 month Android 11 / Erfahrungsbericht: 1 Monat Android 11 - #17 by yvmuell and also a bugreport 528986), was fixed in build 8901.4.A.0013.4 and now raises its ugly head again.

Annoying!! (and that’s saying it mildly)

You use dual SIM? If yes enable SIM code for both SIM.

Same here, neither BT-Headphone-controlls are working nor the controls from the car. That is completely broken.

However, for some of us changing the AVRCP-Version back to 1.4 (within Developers Options) might help (source: Fehlende Titelanzeige bei Bluetooth Verbindung im Auto – Android-Hilfe.de). Doesn’t work for me. Just a hint here: The issues of Android 11 with BT-Connections is know since 2020. Proof: ibid.

Sloppy work, worse quality control.

Wouldn’t it be better to fix what’s been broken than to downgrade into an older version?