Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 (unknown caller and zero brightness bugs)

Yes i set mine to a value 48% in fact, but the phone just sets 0 brightness after an amount of time.

3 Likes

Are you sure thatā€™s not related to Screen Timeout, try adjusting that maybe

The screen timeout is 30seconds, but thatā€™s the problem iā€™m still using it in that time frame, if the screen times out and goes to lock screen due to inactivity then fine but iā€™m still using it so it should not adjust my screen brightness unless the ambient light conditions have changed

1 Like

Yes it goes too dark too quick. If I turn the phone towards the light it comes back but it seems not just the lower end of spectrum of brightness but the sensitivity has increased and it goes darker even when the light is quite high. ??

Edit: I think itā€™s adapting better or Iā€™m adapting to it. A bit of a mystery not too much of a concern?

1 Like

Actually, itā€™s no mystery, but exactly whatā€™s promised in the settings: ā€œYou can move the slider manually to help Adaptive brightness learn your preferences.ā€

I was annoyed about the very dark screen at first as well, but after using the slider a little (and not just holding the phone towards a lamp to get brighter), it has adjusted very well.

5 Likes

Same here, brightness drops to zero while using the phone, patch neededā€¦

1 Like

The post above yours explains whatā€™s going on.
In recent Android this adaptive brightness feature is supposed to learn the userā€™s preference. To discuss whether this is intuitive from the start or whether it actually works better this way than the supposedly ā€œdumbā€ algorithm before is fruitless, Google knows better than all of us.

If it goes dark, tell it that you donā€™t want it to by setting the slider to a brighter position. Itā€™ll learn. If it doesnā€™t learn, then indeed a patch is needed.

4 Likes

Ok thanks, I have followed the suggestion yesterday but today it continues to drop brightness to zero. Maybe the combination of this new feature and the new lowest brightness value underlines the problem, I will try to ā€œtrainā€ the new feature in the next days

1 Like

Thank you for this link! There (and in many other publications) is explained how to reset the learning algorithm of adaptive brightness:

• Go to your phoneā€™s Settings
  • Tap on ā€œApps & notificationsā€
  • Find and select the app ā€œDevice Health Servicesā€
  • Tap on ā€œStorageā€
  • Tap on the button labeled ā€œClear storage.ā€ (Donā€™t worry; nothing will happen yet.)
  • For some reason, this is where youā€™ll find the button labeled ā€œReset adaptive brightness.ā€

Sounds good, but: On my FP3+ the app ā€œDevice Health Servicesā€ is not present.
Is it present on your phones?

Iā€™m using /e/ and I donā€™t have this setting, too.
But then I donā€™t have the problem with adaptive brightness either. There was indeed a learning phase in the beginning, but it tends to work well now.
Will have to see whether adaptive brightness will be reset and show the same behaviour when /e/ import A.0129 stuff into a future update or the coming Android 11 upgrade.

1 Like

I think I remember something like that but maybe deleted it in my de-googling mission impossible, or maybe it was sort of personal health tracker ?? anyway here is is, sort of:
Download Device Health Services 1.0.2 APK For Android Devices.

I installed the update today as well and i am having issues with my phone being unresponsive sometimes, especially with certain apps. Right after the update it was unresponsive when i tried to unlock it or just hit the on button. A few hours later, itā€™s mostly happening with certain apps (Signal for example) that have loaded just perfectly before, but now they only show a blank screen upon opening and can only be closed by going to home screen and then app overview. Anyone got the same thing, or knows where to point me?

Yes, but the more important question is: If this app is not installed by default on the FP3(+), is the ā€œself-learningā€ adaptive brightness feature available at all?
(Like described in this link from the post by @AnotherElk).
Or is it just the ā€œregularā€ adaptive brightness responding to the light situation?

By the way, the links for the APK is broken in your link. And the app is also not available anymore for the FP3+ in Google Play store.
So I guess there chanced something. This feature was introduced to Android 9, maybe in Android 10 it is part of some other app in the framework.

1 Like

Since the last update, the brightness sets itself to the minimum setting about 2 times a day. I have to manually set it to a higher value. If it works fine after a week or so as said in the article, nice. If not, I consider this a bug. Adaptive brightness has been a feature of phones for 10 years or so, and now I have to turn it off?

1 Like

I donā€™t have the Device health Service app but the adaptive brightness works fine, it took a few adjustments yesterday evening, will see what itā€™s like this evening.

Yeap! Itā€™s playing up again as the light dims. The sun has nearly set but itā€™s still light and the screen keeps going to the lowest setting possible I imagine as I can hardly see a thing ??

It seems the sensor is overly sensitive If I have just a bit more light itā€™s fine.

I can set the brightest to 60% and move the phone to slightly darker situation, like another 2 feet from the windows and the screen drops to almost black ??? :frowning:

Adapting it is but reacting too much and not responding to a minimum setting.

OK I have to put the phone in a shaded, (no direct light) not a dark position, and it drops to zero so I have to keep the level control visible and tap it to 60% a couple of times.

So far so good, but a bit of a pain.

1 Like

Yeah, this backlight thing is buggered. It keeps dropping it to 0 while Iā€™m using it. Increasing the backlight back up doesnā€™t help because it will randomly decide to darken it again, Iā€™ts not like the light levels is even changing very much :confused:

2 Likes

Well as in my last post it now seems to be OK. Maybe it is just a learning curve, but still not expected or wanted.

To be honest, the display brightness adjustment of the FP was never good and now it gets so dark automatically that I cannot see anything while using the phone. If I higher the brightness is does not remember to which value I did put it. It is constantly brighter or darker, not a nice experience.

I think this may have caused my phone to randomly ā€˜go darkā€™, i.e. dropping to the absolute minimum brightness with the result that I suddenly cannot see anything while in the middle of writing an email for example. I have adaptive brightness turned on, and this seems to lead to some ā€˜confusionā€™ what adaptive meansā€¦ :thinking: Very annoying.