Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 (unknown caller and zero brightness bugs)

Youre right! Please bring the phones back to the pre-update version and do the investigations later.
We need a working phone!

1 Like

Has anyone tried a factory reset, yet?

That may not be practical given that security updates are the main reason for the update, and the issues don’t stop the phone from being useful.

As Rae said it is deemed more an ‘inconvenience’ than a serious problem.

Regarding sending the phone back, do you mean for repairs, hoping Fairphone will resolve it for you, or are you wanting a refund?

3 Likes

Which brings me to the question: As always this was a staged rollout. Would be interesting to know if:

• the rollout has been stopped when people reported the display-going-dark-issue.
  • the rollout has been stopped when people reported about the unknow-caller-bug.
  • the rollout has not been stopped at all.

Of course this will not change anything. But it would be interesting to know how Fairphone handles this incidents to protect their customers. Maybe @formerFP.Com.Manager could give some insight?

2 Likes

Yes I have done a complete factory reset (four or five times). But it was a stupid idea…
That solves nothing because the software is still 3.A.0129.20210805!
But now I’m in trouble with all my baking apps!

Don’t do this!!!

4 Likes

This bug only seems to effect a small number of networks and clearly ‘Vodafone’ in this case didn’t check it very well on all their carriers when when it was sent to them for approval, so they will no doubt give feedback to Fairphone as to any adjustments that can be made.

So the rollout won’t be stopped for ‘Vodafone’s’ caller ID issue as, many, maybe most networks don’t have this issue.

On the ambient light issue, it would seem it’s such a minor inconvenience in terms of the usability that again there would be little sense in stopping or rolling back the whole security update for such an issue.

3 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Software Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

My company has also been hit. :frowning: We have over 20 Fairphones running with Vodafone Germany. I hope that a hotfix will be released soon. Because this cannot and must not be a permanent state. The only solution at the moment is to switch off 4G. Deactivating VoLTE has no effect. But what good is a smartphone without 4G? Well, let’s hope that the hotfix comes soon.

3 Likes

Please focus on the technical issues in this thread, thank you…

2 Likes

Well Til is right though. Either you have an non working smart or a non working phone.

In no way shape or form is this acceptable.

We use these for work and payed a lot for them.

This has been reported for 4 days and the support can say nothing to this.

I submitted a Help Ticket and was asked to ask the seller for a Exchange for a New one with the same issue. Not funny… Besides I bought it more than 30 days ago.

3 Likes

@amoun: Although my question was directed to Rae, thanks for your knowledge.

Please link to the source of this information! To avoid spreading rumors or wrong informations. Thank you.

For many people the unknown-caller-bug is more than just an “inconvenience”. Especially when using the phone for business and on-call-service, where you sometimes have to differientiate between customers / company-internal / private calls before answering.

And don’t forget about DND mode, when you silence your phone at night, but important callers has to ring (elderly parents, company emergency, your pregnant sister, whatever). DND is not able to work without the caller ID and these important callers go silent.

This even could be dangerous - at least this is more than just an “inconvenience”, depending on the way people use their phone.

5 Likes

Check the initial posting of rae in this thread, after “Please note:”

I guess then, it should be possible to temporarily switch to 2G at night.

The bug is known and Fairphone (maybe together with Vodafone) is working on it. So no use to mention it again and again and again. The solution is not coming faster.

4 Likes

The general route for updates is for Fairphone to send it to carriers so they can confirm it works, once Fairphone get confirmation it works it is then pushed out via those carriers who have accepted it as being viable, hence the delay that some carriers/network users experience.

.Together with our partners, we test the software before its release, and in some instances where a software update might result in some problems for users on a specific network or in a specific country, we prefer to delay the software release for that specific customer base and fix all the potential issues before making the software available to everyone.

1 Like

Yes, of course. But @amoun mentioned that the mistake has clearly been made by Vodafone; I just wanted to clarify the source of this information. If this is just a guess, it is fine, too (but it should be mentioned as this, then).

Of course, that’s right. I just want to clarify that this issue for some (many?) people is more than just an “inconvenience” and has an impact on other functions as well.
And not all FP-users read this forum and know that they have to switch to 2G, in case they use DND for emergencies.

I wanted to clarify, that by saying "this is just an “inconvenience”, the usage of smartphone is generalized for all people, which is not a valid expression, in my opinion.
People use their phones in different ways, for different occassions, with different settings. So I am not happy with generalizing this always as just an “inconvenience” for all of the users.

I am not frustrated about the bug. It will be fixed sooner or later.
I am just frustrated when I mention other use cases and impacts in a friendly manner, and other people tell me that in all use cases in general, including mine, this is just an inconvenience and I have to feel the same way about it as they feel about it.
That’s all.

3 Likes

The same happened to me. Instead of saying one Word on this bug they said I should ask my reseller for an Exchange or prove that I paid for the phone.

Not very professional. Same als giving nothing after 4 days.

Luckily I still had a 1&1 Card valid until December. I do hope they will resolve this Till then. Otherwise I may need to ask FP for refund for non working phone.

Hi. I wonder how long you have had the phone as this is relevant to any refund. Whereas your Vendor, if you didn’t buy it from Fairphone, would be required to resolve the issue in terms of refund, they like others would only have to refund a) if bit’s with 14 days of purchase or after than if they cannot offer a rapair or alternative phone.

Of course the longer you have the phone the more likely it that the view will be either a) we will compensate you a proportion or b) you have had the problem phone for so long that you accepted the limitations.

So I wonder in regard to 'Instead of saying one Word on this bug" who you are you referring to and to whom did you lodge an official complaint?

For what it’s worth (and I’m not sure if this was already said above, I tried to follow this thread but may have missed some posts :slight_smile: ) - .on Vodafone UK, and don’t have a problem with caller ID.

I sent a Help Ticket directly to FP and despite my offering a Phone ID and everything all they said is I must prove I bought this Phone.

Which ist irrelevant since this is an Update Error. Even if I demand an exchange of phones at Vodafone the new Phone has the same Software so this is of no value.

As of now I can use my other Card. However I do expect a timely Bug fix since either having 4g deactivated or No Caller ID, which ist clearly a malfunction of my Phone, makes it useless for me.

And I do have a 2 year warranty on new Hardware.

Well Fairphone already reacted, they are aware of the fault and are working on it. Hoping for a solution after only four days is quite optimistic.

But not on software :wink:. Anyway, until not it’s not even sure, that the fault is on Fairphones side, as so far only one provider in Germany is affected.

3 Likes

OK That shouldn’t be difficult ??

Fairphone don’t know that and you may have noticed on this topic it seems to be a Vodafone issue. Mind you if you exchange the phone at Vodafone you may get one without the new update ~ that may work for you.

Yes timely is of the essence but when is more of issue.

So have you only just bought the phone? Still this is not a hardware issue.

From my understanding Vodafone had to OK the update before they sent it out, so the it seems better to ask Vodafone why they released it. But I also note from above, somewhere it’s not all Vodafone but may be related to a specific provider that uses Vodafone.

For example after an update I had the incorrect network name popping up T-Mobile not EE as I would have expected. EE and T-mobile sorted out the issue not Fairphone. I imagine the networks just didn’t account for naming issues when they checked the update. It may just have gone to the main Vodafone check in and they said, yes it seems to work, pass it on the downstream carriers for the users.