[Solved] SMS send takes unusually long

Even when both options are off?

Did you try another SIM card from another operator? You don’t mention that.

Yes, even when both are off. No matter if there is wifi/4G or not. It’s been months now and so far, I’ve kept this issue in every situation (abroad or not, reception, no reception, day, night, with wifi/data/bluetooth/location on and off, etc.)

That said, I did not try with another sim card from another operator (and I can’t believe I didn’t think of that). I’ll try that today and see what changes and what remains stable, thanks !

PS: How do you quote parts of a previous message? That’s very handy :grin:

2 Likes

Select text from the message you want to quote, and press the quote button.
You can learn all functions of this forum by saying @discobot start tutorial (for example in the “Greetings” message you received).

2 Likes

Did you check whether Wi-Fi calling is on or off?

https://www.orange.be/fr/blog/5-choses-savoir-sur-les-appels-en-wi-fi

https://www.orange.be/nl/blog/bellen-wifi-5-dingen-die-je-moet-weten

What about the SMSC?

(They don’t have the exact steps for the Fairphone 3, or a generic guide it seems, but the SMSC number is the same, it can be set somewhere along these lines …)

https://www.orange.be/fr/independants/options-et-services/configuration-en-ligne?page=device/fairphone/fairphone-2/topic/sms/configuration-manuelle/11

https://www.orange.be/nl/zelfstandigen/opties-en-diensten/online-instellen?pagina=device/fairphone/fairphone-2/topic/sms/handmatig-instellen/1

I only came across this thread when it started affecting me as well :wink: ;( :frowning:
FP3 with mobile provider DeutscheTelekom/TMO in Germany worked pretty much normal. Some other SIM card from O2/resale in the same FP3 phone, I also noticed SMS would take like a very long time no matter how tiny the SMS payload would be. Especially long texts take multiple times the 1minute time frame for a single SMS payload, so that got me frustrated. Recently, when accidentally being in a mobile cell site that had broken 4G/LTE turned off, I was sending SMS and they pretty much immediately got delivered/sent out. Receiving SMS is always quick and I dont notice any delays there.

So I went into “Network settings” -> “Preferred network type” and deliberately set e.g. 2G only, 3G only, 2G/3G auto. Anything but that newest “2G/3G/4G auto”… and all those other tree slower network type settings, would deliver my SMS in a time frame of about 1-3seconds max.

I guess, there is something broken with the Android9 that FP3 delivers to the customers with regards to different mobile carriers around the globe and their provisioning and whatnot.

Putting the same O2 sim into some older FP2, SMS get sent normal and fast. No 1minute delay. I guess that 1minute is some kind of fallback and FP3 is then itself reverting to those slower and older network type kind of things and mechanisms. I am not an expert at all about mobile stuff and SMS, but I actually had always thought that SMS was happening on the oldest and most basic 2G or even basic GSM layer or something. This is why I was also always wondering how certain carriers in countries talked or even did shut down 3G or even GSM, at least thats how they communicate this to the public and in the media.

So temporarily selecting a network type of anything but the newest LTE/4G is a work around here for me on this situation and combination of SIM, provider and FP3.

2 Likes

Was it the first or second SIM card slot?

In this thread, I read something about “Uninstalling stock apps” .Can we uninstall stock that much easily on fairphone? Most of smartphone require administrative privileges to do it? Are fairphone shipped with administrative privileges?

How to do this is described in this topic …

I tried to find that in the settings but couldn’t find it.

I had tried that qhen first trying to debug my SMS functions

So yeah… Just tried that, and it works ! Can’t believe it, I haven’t seen an SMS sending so fast for months. I just tried with “auto 2G/3G” and it works. “auto 2G/3G/4G” is as slow as ever. So basically as long as I don’t accept 4G network it works. However I use the 4G quite often and I’m not sure I’ll be able towork with 3G at best…

Do you guys think I should contact support with all this new info ?

Yes. It is the best thing to do when you have an issue.

2 Likes

Chances are that the FP3 is not totally compatible to the SMSC used by your carrier provider. Maybe carrier support knows that and sends some OTA info on request to make SMS work without delay.

Agreed, I will try that now that I feel I understand the issue better :smiley:

Well at least they couldn’t help me when I contacted their support service. The IT I had on the phone told me it seemed to be a network issue, but his only solution was to change phones :sweat_smile: As mentionned in my other post (Issues sending texts with default "Message" app) and in my earlier comment on this post, I’ve tried a lot of things and discussed that with my operator.

Sometimes it depends on how much the operator is skilled and trained. Some almost never get your point (and the solution), others know what you are talking about, then they say “just a second … done, please try again!” :wink:

1 Like

Using only single SIM phone experience here. Been testing those two SIM providers with FP3 with single SIM each only. Slot1 that is. Single provider during tests and usage.

Same telefonica/O2 SIM with some samsung galaxy S phone with android9 sends SMS (samsung SMS app though) without any delays and with high speed no matter if 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE.

Hi,
for me also worked turn off “Erweiterter 4G LTE Modus”

Einstellungen -> Netzwerk & Internet -> Mobilfunknetz -> Erweitert

So i can use 4G for fast internet and SMS also send fast.

1 Like

@Marko-L This worked for me. I had the issue of slow SMS sends on a FP3 with /e/ and a 4G/LTE contract at the German operator Drillisch (O2/Telefonica network).

2 Likes

Hi @here !
I contacted the support team regarding this issue. They confirmed that disabling the enhanced 4g LTE Mode is the best workaround at the moment, and they are working on a more permanent fix. Here is their explanation :

We are currently investigating the root cause of this issue. In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, as you also mentioned, we recommend to do the following:

1. Go to Network & internet > Mobile network > Advanced
  2. Click and disable the option “Enhanced 4G LTE Mode”. This should allow you to send your messages in a few seconds.

Fairphone 3 is technically capable of using VoLTE and VoWiFi technologies but we are still waiting to complete the partnerships with the various phone carriers. At this moment we do not have an exact indication of when those partnerships will be finalised.

I will then keep your request on-hold and I will get in touch as soon as we have a permanent solution.

I really appreciate their transparency on the issue and I’m glad I contacted them. Now we actually know why. The workaround does it for me as of now, so to me the issue is solved. And at least we know they are aware of it and are working on it :smiley:

5 Likes

SMS 1-minute-delay for sending with LTE networks seems fixed now as of Android10 Upgrade on the FP3 here.

4 Likes

Can confirm - SMS goes out fast and neat with Android 10!

1 Like

Just updated last night. Unfortunately, I still have the same issue with enhanced LTE mode switched on. So I’ll keep it switched off for now