SMS cut when it's sent to a Blackberry

Hi,
When I send a SMS to my friend who has a Blackeberry, after few letters the message is cut and there is weird symbol instead of the right words. Someone knows why ?

2 Likes

Hi,

a friend of mine hat problems with a SMS of me, too. All spaces where replaced by at-symbols (@). After a closer look I identified an emoji as the problem. And it makes sense for me. This Smiley Symbols are Unicode Keys and I think, that SMS only uses some sort of ASCII Codepage. Or Simple, such a Symbol won’t fit into a SMS.

Maybe your problem is the same. Is it possible to sent a pure Text message to the Blackberry?

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

Hi,
I just wanna summon @Benjamin here. He had a similar problem, but we never even thought about Emojis causing it! So maybe this helps him, too.
Also I did some basic online research about how SMS messages are encoded in the other topic in case that’s of interest here :wink:

Or maybe it’s because The Big Surveillance System doesn’t really like encrypted smartphones and therefore disturbes traffic to/from BlackBerries?

1 Like

I got a solution from @Benjamin Topic, using a different software, as TextSecure resolves the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the pokes !

I haven’t tried TextSecure yet, adding that to my to-do list :).

I have noticed in a review that the reviewer had the same problem :

Parfois aussi, j’ai des difficultés à envoyer des textos ou des mms, certaines personnes équipées avec des téléphones de moins bonnes qualités ne reçoivent que des carrés ou ne reçoivent pas le mms…

Which translate approximately to :

Sometimes I encounter difficulties sending SMS and MMS, some people equipped with lower-end phones only receive squares or don’t receive the MMS…

(from http://www.ekitinfo.org/journal/j’ai-teste-le-telephone-equitable-fairphone-12 )

As for now, I just try to send short texts to my contacts that I know have the problem :D.

I got a solution from @Benjamin Topic, using a different software, as TextSecure resolves the problem.

Excellent. I have the very same issue, and will install TextSecure. Is it possible to ‘designate’ it as the SMS default app, even when receiving an SMS that wakes the phone?

Coming back very late again here: in the end I didn’t install TextSecure, because this would have obliged me to register into a third-party service.
Instead, I installed an open-source app found on F-Droid, named SMSdroid, that just replaces the Google one and works perfectly.
Before coming back I tested it at length, it just works, in perfect relation with e. g. the addressbook etc.

SMSDroid (and potentially other non-stock sms apps) don’t know how to handle dual-sim, according to this post: http://code.google.com/p/websmsdroid/issues/detail?id=793&sort=-product&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Product%20Component%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

It only sends from sim1 [edit: it sends from the active sim that you set for messaging, and if you set it to Always Ask, it won’t ask, but instead use the last used messaging sim].

In addition I’m not able to open threads from senders not in my contacts (mine are located on the phone itself) or with conflicting phone numbers (separate issue that I haven’t posted yet, but which prompted me to try alternative apps- will add link when I do). If I try, the app crashes. Even after a reboot. Also crashes when opening threads sent to an email address (as MMS).

Consuela indeed I only ‘sms’ from SIM1…
Now, as concerns contacts in the phone on my side it seems I have no issue (I mean, for instance SMSDroid shows me their photo, which is definitely a characteristics from the phone contacts, the ones inside the SIM don’t have this).
But when I think about it, even in a week’s length I didn’t exchange SMSs with too many people in fact.
Maybe these ones were somehow duplicated from my ‘initial SIM batch’, or something…
(I have a lot of duplicates at this moment between SIM and phone, and even triplicates since I’m trying to sync some with owncloud -that’s an issue I don’t master at this time)

I’ll try SMSdroid since I only use one sim. Thanks @Herve5 for letting me know.

Hello,
I’ve a problem with sending sms to some contacts. I tried smsdroid but randomly those contacts received message cuts by @@@ within words. Could it be linked to the use of dual sim or any other idea how to solve this… ?
Thanks, Cedric

For me, SMSDroid was the precise solution to the issue of these @@@ in words
(which, in all honesty, is due to the receiving phone not being able to handle more advanced character sets, not to us : SMSDroid uses only ‘fossil’ charactersets)

If SMSDroid still creates issues with characters when sending SMS to ‘old’ phones, I fear there is little I can do -at least, I know of nothing else… But I never heard about this issue until now.

:gb: Hello,
I think that Herve5, @Leveau_Paul cedric and @Benjamin have this problems because they write french SMS.
I had quite a few problems with some specifics french characters: ç, â, ê and û
A SMS is normally 160 characters. But when using one of these specifics french characters, it is decreased to 70 characters. It is probably due to a change in characters code of the SMS.
Another trouble is that some non-android phones, such as Blackberry’s cannot interpret correctly these characters. And so, they cut a great part of the SMS and insert some strange characters that the sender never wrote !

Let’s take an example: I type on the SMS Fairphone keyboard “Je veux le meme”. Then the internal dictionnary automatically proposes “même” instead of “meme” because “même” is correct but not “meme” which does not means anything in French. If I accept “même” in my SMS then some users (Blackberry’s in particulars) will not receive the complete SMS.
The solution I found is to create new words in the dictionnary. For this, I type “meme” and when it appears in the suggestion bar on top of the keyboard, I click on “meme”. Then I click on “meme” again to register. “meme” is now in the dictionnary.
Each time I will write a SMS, I will prefer the incorrect “meme” instead of the correct “même” and it will solve a lot of SMS problems.

:fr: En français pour les francophones !
Bonjour,
Je pense qu’Herve, Paul, Cédric et Benjamin ont ce problème car ils écrivent des SMS en français.
J’ai aussi eu beaucoup de problèmes avec certains caractères spécifiquement français et en particulier : ç, â, ê et û
Un SMS est normalement constitué de 160 caractères. Mais quand on utilise un de ces caractères spécifiquement français dans un SMS, le nombre de caractères diminue à 70. C’est probablement du à un changement de jeu de caractères du SMS.
Un autre problème est que certains téléphones qui n’utilisent pas Android tels que les Blackberry ne peuvent pas interpréter correctement ces caractères. Du coup, une grande partie du SMS est supprimée et des caractères étranges sont insérés.

Prenons un exemple : j’écris sur le clavier SMS du Fairphone “Je veux le meme”. Le dictionnaire interne propose automatiquement “même” au lieu de “meme” qui ne veux rien dire. Si j’accepte “même” dans mon SMS, alors certains utilisateurs (ceux de Blackberry en particulier) ne recevront pas le SMS complet.
La solution que j’ai trouvée est d’insérer de nouveaux mots dans le dictionnaire. Pour cela, je tape “meme” et quand il apparait dans les suggestions juste au-dessus du clavier, j’appuye sur “meme”. Puis j’appuye à nouveau sur “meme”, lorsque j’ai la suggestion “Appuyer de nouveau pour enregistrer”. “meme” est maintenant dans le dictionnaire.
A partir de ce moment, chaque fois que j’écrirai un SMS, je choisirai “meme” au lieu de “même” et cela résoudra de nombreux problèmes de SMS. Même système pour les autres mots : “ça”, “gâteau”, “tâche”,…

Let’s remind here that switching from the original SMS app to tne alternative, open source SMSDroid solves the issue of accented characters, including when the other phone is a Blackberry. SMSdroid deals with charsets more classically and does send correctly any unusual accent or whatnot.
Je rappelle qu’en utilisant l’application SMSDroid (open source) à la place du “SMS” initial, on peut envoyer des messages avec toutes accentuations et cédilles nécessaires, et ces messages sont correctement reçus même par un Blackberry par ex. SMSDroid semble gérer les caractères accentués d’une façon plus classique qui est compatible avec tout le monde…