Smaller size Smartphone

I do not see a compare section.
Where is it?
How do I compare it? With what do I compare it?

I just found out that Fairphone is a B corporation. I think that’s really cool.

https://www.ecosia.org/search?tt=813cf1dd&q=%206.3inch%20Full%20HD%2B%20display,%20

Your search engine will help to compare :wink:

Thank you, I’m terrible with search engines since you cannot search for sentences anymore.

I do concur whit the overall topic. I understand that the manufacturers, such as Fairphone, are complying with the general tendencies. We do see a kind of “the bigger size the best” dictated by the fact most of the internet and cellular phones are trying to match the tendency to have best ratio phones in order to match the needs of video watching. But it is so ridiculous, some of the latest phones turn to be almost tablets. A funny thing wich could summarize like that : Do people having such big phones eat their yogurt with a showell ?
Phone must be still phones, with an overall size matching with normal hands and the ones of someone like Rachmaninoff…

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Given global sales of 1.5 Billion phones sold over each of the last 6 years and that most phones are around 6" then Fairphone are amongst what is popular.

Given the modularity and that components are not all soldered to a main board it is remarkable Fairphone can even work within ‘common’ parameters.

A smaller phone, unlikely and unwanted by the majority. Technically a no go and given the notion of longevity and modularity it would be a backward step to make more that one model.

The only hope is that the FP5, 6,7,8, 9 use the same shell and if not then maybe they can scrape a few millimetres off here and there.

For business as that’s what people want. One day it will be a chip in the brain feeding the optic nerve, until then it’s a hand held screen too big for some too small for others.

1 Like

Can’t you? The following link will find your very own sentence and none other.

www. google. com/search?q=“I’m+terrible+with+search+engines+since+you+cannot+search+for+sentences+anymore.”

I’m afraid it’s BigG though, I tried with Qwant and DDG but they didn’t find it, maybe not indexed yet.

I have deliberately altered the URL so that you can clearly see where you’re going before clicking.

3 Likes

What you said is this : we sell big phones because there is a lot of big phones selled, wich is a very poor demonstration. All manufacturers don’t propose an alternative, so how this really partial statistcs based demonstration be valid ?

Some phone makers like Sony tried to sell a smaller smartphone and it didn’t work in terms of sales so why would it work for Fairphone?

2 Likes

By the way I’m just a user of the Fairphone and this is a user forum, so I and and ‘we’ you imagine here do not sell Faiphone’s.

Fairphone sell phones to a niche market of people who care more about Fair Trade than the size of the phone. Secondly is the notion of sustainability in terms of the longevity of the phone, hence the modularity. This second point largely defines the size of the phone. I’m pretty sure if it could be made a bit smaller Fairphone would have done so, clearly they look at the general market to see what sizes are currently popular.

One of the reasons to remove the 3.5mm jack was they were wanting to save space implying the phone would have to be even bigger if they included it. Similarly they could add seals and another layer of protection against water and dust, but again that would increase the size of the phone.

The general idea is that Fairphone know the limits they have in the design given their finances and people buying phone is their source of income. It’s hard enough finding people who care about Fair Trade enough to spend a lot more money on a technically modest phone. If size is that important then Fair Trade isn’t the priority for some.

It’s the size|depth of their pocket and ethics that seem to be the issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree. I brought a fairphone 4, but it was just too large, so after four months i sold it on and went to the iphone SE. I’m now about to replace the SE and checked back to see if fairphone had brought out a smaller handset yet… but reading the comments here it doesn’t look promising!

If the smaller size is absolutely necessary and you still want a phone, which is pretty “fair” then you could try this one:

https://www.shiftphones.com/shift5me/

Welcome to the forum.

So as the FP4 is only a year old you have been through two phones in a year and are looking for a third ?? What happened to the SE ??

On the idea of a new Fairphone. The trend has been to develop every two years and I’m pretty sure there’s no smaller option in the making. You can search for such issues :slight_smile:

And yes the Shift5me phone may suit you

All the best

1 Like

My mistake, I bought it in at the start of 2020 so must have been a three. Thanks for the SHIFT5me recommendation! :slight_smile:

Aex

2 Likes

And the FP4 is even bigger :slight_smile: :frowning:

Yes! Totally. I don’t get the size increase of almost all avalible smartphone models these days. They’re all super uncomfortable to carry around and use with one hand. My preference is around 5.5-5.8 inch screen though, the Samsung S10E is a perfect fit for me. 6 inch+ is too big.

1 Like

Well, my guess would be, that the increased phone-screen size is a result of an increase in the number of people, that have subscribed to streaming services and use their phone for watching movies etc everywhere. (Gaming might be another reason.)
At least whenever I go out, I find lots of people glued to the screen of their phone watching some movie/series. In that regard the phone size is following the trend of tv-sets, that become ever larger. :wink:
(And the really annoying ones use the speaker for listening instead of a headset.)

6 Likes

I understand the “popularity of big phones” argument, but I would like to add myself as a persona to consider in a market research, as I currently also am not understanding why I cannot get a single-hand phone anymore. I asked a few colleagues today (similar personas), they all had the same question.

Me as a persona:

• Male in my 30’s in Europe, university education (IT-related), employee
  • I mostly use my phone on the road: writing messages, checking public transport information, checking a map, reading articles, listening to music, checking my calendar, …
  • Based on the road-first use, most of the time I need to have a stable grip of my phone, and easy access to most of the screen with one hand
  • For the same reasons, I want to carry my phone in my pocket (not in a bag/jacket/…), for quick access
  • I appreciate functional design, clean interfaces, long-supported software and hardware
  • I appreciate repairability, as I usually want to make the most out of what I buy. I want to have a phone that lets me enjoy all features the society I live in can offer me, but I do not get in the loop of buying new devices just because they are flashier.
  • I appreciate ethical business models, and I try to buy fairtrade, if available/makes sense for what I need
  • I own and use a laptop for most of the complicated tasks
  • I consume video content mostly on a TV and laptop
  • I typically do not play games, and definitely not on my phone

Looking at the Fairphone 4:

• I cannot imagine carrying and using a phone of this size and weight for what I need (I have tried other people’s FP4 and FP3)
  • I am fine with the price - it is special, so it will always cost more
  • I am fine with the hardware - it is actually a very fair mid-range. There are cheaper phones with better cameras and CPUs, but it offers all the features of a modern phone.
  • I am totally fine with the missing headphone jack - I totally understand the decision and I use some earbuds. My current phone has a headphone jack, I rarely use it.
  • I love the full-day battery life and the fact that I can replace the battery.
  • I love the repairability, the ethical business model, the innovation, the clean interface, the long-term software support and 5y guarantee, the fact that I can even order it with Ubuntu Touch and /e/OS, or install that one day.
  • It makes me want to support the company - I want to see more phones and products like this by this industry. And I love that the company has already proven that it can survive and grow.

What I dream of:
A smaller Fairphone with the same values as FP4, so that I can comfortably use it on the road.

The obvious issue is the repairability. Make compromises! No need to make everything replaceable. Looking at other people’s smartphones, I see two things failing all the time: the screen and the battery. Just make these two repairable, skip the rest, ending up with three modules: core, screen, battery. Potentially offer an upgraded “core module” with new camera / CPU / whatever once in a while, let it cost half the phone’s price.

I do not have any idea about production. I just see some companies trying to re-introduce compact phones, and I hope that others will follow and make this possible.

As the battery of my current phone is about to explode after 5y of usage, I will go with the functionally closest alternative of the dream for now. Unfortunately, this time it will most probably not be a Fairphone. But I hope I will have a more fitting option in 5y from today. In the meantime, I will keep telling everyone I know that does not have the same weird requirements as me to consider buying a repairable and ethical smartphone.

Since Android 12, there is a one-handed mode included (How to enable and use one-handed mode in Android 12 | TechRepublic).

You need to be a bit patient but it should arrive on FP4 and on FP3 after :grinning:

1 Like

That makes it even worse, Having a far to big phone and only using a part of the screen.

But I doubt that there will be a smaller version, as all phones are getting bigger and even Apple, the last man standing with the iPhone mini didn’t release a successor.

You aren’t meant to use it all the time, it’s easy to enable by swiping down on the bottom of the screen.

I’ve set it to the second option, which opens the notifications, just sooo much better to use one-handed, once you get used to it.