Slim Case - Reboots and Button-Issues

The same here. I switched the buttons, Issue resolved. Please test the cases before you send them.

2 Likes

Hi,

i am having the same trouble with the slim case and worse.

I highly recommend not to use the slim case!
(Just contacted support)

Telling the story:
After i applied the slimcase the fp2 rebooted and optimized all apps. That drained the battery by about 40%. To solve this problem i followes your tips above. Changed the buttons and put in some paper in the slot between battery and case. Worked for as long as i did not go for a walk with the phone, carrying the fp2 in my pocket or in my backpack.
But the fp2 rebooted over and over again. Always showing the fairphone-logo and starting to boot again.The constant reboot caused alot of heat at the connection from the core-module to the display-module which seemed to have demaged the display-module. By now the screen is not responding in some parts and i encounter ghostly typing. So i am not able to even start the fp2.

My 50cent:
To answer some questions from above. Yes i have the same problem with and after using the slim case.
And i think this is a really bad problem. When the fp2 is rebooting and overheating it might cause severe demage to other things in its surrounding (like your ec-card, other id-cards or these days to our chocolate-eggs) or might even cause harm to the user. and yes it was so hot that i could barrely touch it.
For the fp2 beeing sold “environment-friendly” it is not ok that one has to replace the cover after a while because the bumper gets loose and the rubber peels off. it is not ok that the new case may cause demage to the rest of the phone and parts have to be replaced. For a sold product it is not ok, that the costumer has to do some workarounds and read through forums for hours. Things like this have to be tested before you put them into the market. This is just some really bad qualitymanagement. If they (who?) are investigating this problem, this product should not be sold for the time the problem is not solved.
“well we are selling a car but the brakes don`t work
keep selling it until we know what causes the mellfunction
” WHAT?! I remember Toyota calling the Prius back.

For me it is going to be the second display-module within a year and the slim-case is the 2nd case i bought. So i produced some spare parts over the last 14 month
yea!
Before the fp2 i used an 2year old iphone4 for 3 years which is now used by my mother. in those almost 7 years we replaced the battery once two month ago. That is actually what is called surviving your product life cycle. By now i doubt that my fp2 will survive this year. And i am troubled to recommend the fp2 to friends, family or coworkers. It is just not reliable :frowning:
Well there is still “Shiftphones”
 so i can use the fp2 as a back-up-phone if it works again.

Good night!

1 Like

Received my slim case today, after having had 2 broken fat cases.
Thanks support for fast response !
BUT, I didn’t have to wait, right after mounting the case, it maintained the power button ON and so rebooted after 30 seconds. It worked nice with only front half on, but as soon as I put the back half in place, the button got pressed.

Thanks a lot for the tip, because after exchanging the buttons, it works perfectly. Power button AND camera button work OK.

I do believe that the buttons are mounted the wrong way in factory. Also because, as already said above, the grip on the power button totally makes sense.

Will FP communicate about this, and add a little erratum in the cases package asking to swap buttons ? That would be very transparent and appreciated.

PS : I’m coral red, as other people here according to the pictures. Can other color owners confirm if they have the same issue ? Or is it that we all chose red :slight_smile: BTW, like the flashy feeling, which isn’t possible to see on pictures.

1 Like

I don’t have issues, but I bought my (also coral red) case second hand, so I’m curious: how were your buttons originally?

Did I get this right: the corrugated button was originally the camera button and the flat one the power button?

I got the blue case. The power button was basically working but gave no real feedback whether it was sufficiently pressed or not, which was a bit annoying, so I swapped the buttons and everything is working fine now.

I received my purple slimline case this morning and have not yet been able to turn it on for more than about 10 sec without a reboot. Waiting for it to optimise my apps (again) and will then see if I can swap the buttons

Update - phone rebooted again after my apps had optimised but swapping the power and camera buttons seems to have worked - I can actually feel the power button releasing when I let go now. Also, the camera button still works now that the buttons have been swapped (something that never worked with my regular case!).

I will be informing support in the hope that they will look into this more but at least swapping the buttons makes the phone usable.

For me it seems the case is really difficult to get to seat properly, but when I managed to do it, the power button works fine also without swapping it with the camera button.

I did purchase 3 Slime Cases, which I recived today. Of these cases 2 cause the problem of rebooting, as the others described it (the red and the white one). Only the blue one does work properly. I could sent you the cases for I was thinking of returning them anyways.

Hey @JuliAugust, we’ve had enough cases being sent back for testing.

You can contact customer support to have your case replaced if it makes your Fairphone reboot.

1 Like

And did they already find something? Like for example - what most of us here assume - that the buttons are simply mounted the wrong way?

Thanks for your answer.

Inspired by the community I switched the Camera- and the on/off-button on
the coral red case and it now works. So I will try the same for the white
one, so I can use it right away and the customer device has one thing less
to deal with.

Thanks, and I love my fairphone
Juliane

It is a combination of both the case and the Fairphone. Modifications have been made to new cases to prevent this issue. I do not know the exact details

2 Likes

Well I’ve just received a new (coral) slim case today, and can immediately see that I have this problem, if not obviously severely yet. It seems pretty clear that it’s because the back of the case has on overly-tight fit around the power button. My reason for suggesting this is that if I attach only the front part of the case, the power button works correctly, with good, definite feedback when you press it: you clearly feel the action of the switch when you use it. When I attach the rear of the case, this is no longer true: the power button gives almost no physical feedback, and frequently seems to double-press — rather than waking the 'phone, it brings me to the power-off menu.

Removing and re-attaching the rear seems to improve the situation slightly. I’m contemplating trying to file away the edge of the power button aperture in the rear to see if that reliably clears it, but having to do that to make a £35 piece of plastic work correctly seems inappropriate.

The volume and camera buttons both work as expected.

I got a slim case about a month ago to replace the regular one, which fell apart.
And I had to swap the buttons too to get it working.
Since then it is OK again.
After reading about the misalignment of the camera hole I looked and found the same at my case.

Kind regards,
Mathias

Same problem here and same resolution (after one week of trouble and disapointment) : swapping buttons. Thanks a lot for the advice! I’m a bit sad that Fairphone wasn’t able to talk to me about this while I was buying a new case after my regular one (transparent black that I loved) broked itself

Hey all,

Thank you for your feedback and thanks to the ones who submitted their faulty cases for us to review. It has helped us a lot.

The issue was caused by the combination of some dimensional differences between FP2 engines and the top cover/power button assembly. When the dimension tolerances are at the extreme ends for both, then together they may cause problems. We’ve fixed the tool for the power button to ensure we do not have that corner case.

If your case is causing reboots, please get in contact with our support team so we can help you.

10 Likes

how do you switch power camera buttons?

The buttons are embedded in flexible strips. These strips are fixated to the case on both sides of each button. It isn’t so obvious at first, but you can carefully pull the strips (including the buttons) off those fixating points. And if you’ve done that, you can carefully fixate the strip with the camera button to the power button’s place (if it won’t snap in place easily, use a fingernail or some not too sharp tip of some kind to gently push it in place) and the strip with the power button in the same way to the camera button’s place 
 and voilà :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

So it s a physical swap!! I thought it was a software one!!
Thanks! Now it all makes more sense!