Slim Case - Reboots and Button-Issues

I moved your post here as you say it started happening when you switched to the slim case.

Either way this can be easily fixed by yourself - in this case: switch the power and camera buttons. Neither is a fix that can easily be applied in a crowded train, but what’s the probability of this issue first occurring on a train anyway? You only have to do the fix once.

I tested the slim case for a while, but the power button was totally missing the “pressure point” it normally has with the regular case, I never knew from the button feedback alone whether I pressed enough or at all, I could only check whether something happened on the screen. Apart from that I had no problem with the slim case, but I went back to the regular bumper case for now.

Switching the power and camera buttons is a nice idea, I will try that as soon as I get a protective case to put the slim-cased phone in.
It is not so very easy to find Fairphone-tailored, non-generic ones (will check out a generic one from eBay and a non-generic one from Mobilemagic.ch).

Thanks for moving my post - this is clearly the relevant thread, though it only occurred to me on reading the previous one that the case might be the cause. I innocently thought it was just a cosmetic change!.The photo from Zorugal is interesting. Mine looks similar - tight at top of camera hole and small gap at bottom. Also agree with AnotherElk that an additional protective case would be v useful, eg when travelling.

Hi all, i had the same problems with the boot loop. But changing the buttons helped to fix this. Thx to all!

1 Like

Ok. I got my new case today. I had the same problem with reboots. I found the tips in the forum. And I swapped the buttons. Let´s see if it will work…
What I don´t understand is how fairphone still sells the cases with the crap buttons without telling us about the problem.
Sometimes it is funny to be part of this community, but sometimes I don´t have the time for it and to be honest I am starting to get a little fed up with this phone and the fact that I have to look for troubleshooting in the forum almost every month.

4 Likes

A huge thumbs up for the button switching trick, it really works!
I have the phone in the slim case in a flip case now with the buttons switched, and the ex-camera-now-power button finally works like it should in the slim case. Great stuff.

1 Like

Received my new case yesterday put it on immediately. 4 intempestive reboots today…

I switched the buttons, will keep you posted. I have high hopes!

No reboot today.
Not only swapping worked but the camera button is usable as with my old case.

4 Likes

Did you get enough covers to investigate? Because I received mine yesterday and for me the phone reboots constantly. I got it to work once for a few minutes (don’t know what I did differently), but then the power button got stuck again after a few uses and it started rebooting again. The phone doesn’t even have time to boot up properly. Just shows the Fairphone screen and then goes dark again, because here comes another hard reboot… Would love to swap for another cover.

2 Likes

And to be honest, I’m actually getting mad here. As if it isn’t enough that I need to stick a piece of paper into my 500 Euro smartphone, to keep it from rebooting every other time I sit down… now this.
I will NOT attempt to switch the buttons of my slim case. I mean, I have been using Linux for quite a while, I’m pretty fine with things not working out of the box. But this is just bloody ridiculous. The original cover is falling apart after a year and a new cover makes the phone completely unusable? WTF.
Sorry for the non-constructive criticism, delete this post if you want. But I’m getting frustrated here and I really needed to vent… :angry:

3 Likes

Did you already contact Fairphone support about both your cover issues? A pain, I know, but based on some of the posts scattered around the forum they do seem to be quite good about sending out replacements under warranty…

4 Likes

@peret, I completely agree with you and recognize your frustration! I have luckily not experienced the sudden reboot issue so far. What I can advice you is to just contact the customer care department of Fairphone via the website i.e. you bought a +/+ € 500 phone from this company so you deserve it that they respect your rights as a customer. I have called them about something else a while ago and response was good.

3 Likes

I will NOT attempt to switch the buttons of my slim case. I mean, I have been using Linux for quite a while, I’m pretty fine with things not working out of the box. But this is just bloody ridiculous.

I’m a bit lost here. So you are saying you ordered a basket of apples and a basket of oranges online to gift to two friends - one who likes apples and one who likes oranges. You received the two baskets but in the basket of apples there is one orange and in the basket of oranges there is one apple.
Now you refuse to switch the two misplaced fruits but rather send both baskets back and demand to get two new baskets?

6 Likes

Something like that. Except I’m pretty angry, because I was really looking
forward to some fresh fruit and now every time I try to eat one of the
oranges, it constantly tries to choke me to death. Oranges are not supposed
to do that.

Hi - I’m having the same problem. New slim case (coral red) bought last month - recently the phone hard-reboots in my pocket every hour or so, even when I’m not moving. Never had this before on my FP2.

I’ve tried the button-swapping trick (did it just now). It was rather fiddly - I used two mini screwdrivers to help me press them back into place. I’ll see if this fixes it. I really hope so because the coral red slim case looks and feels v smart.

2 Likes

Hey, same with me and I came to also to the conclusion that the Backshall of the case is too tight. Without it, all buttons of the topshell work proper - but together the fp2 reboots immediately.
The new case is nice, but I’ll send it back.

Have you tried switching the power and camera buttons?

2 Likes

No. And I won’t. Because I don’t accept buying a case for 30€ that doesn’t work as it should and needs modification. That isn’t customer service and bad for the image of fairphone.

3 Likes

I think that analogy/comparison is lame. As customer you have the right to expect what’s promised. Just because it is a fair company doesn’t mean they are allowed to develop disfunctional products. If you want to acquire more customers for the fairphone from Apple & Co. the product needs to be as easy to use as theirs.

2 Likes

Sure, I agree that every little and big flaw of a product is bad for the company’s image and sure you have the right to send a product back if it doesn’t work as it should.
I just don’t understand how anyone who cares about the environment - which I assume FP customers do - would rather send the whole thing back and get a new one sent to them if they know about a super simple, super fast DIY solution that seems to work in 100% of the times.

8 Likes