Slim Case - Reboots and Button-Issues

Facing the same problem. Got my new slim case yesterday, as my “regular” case was broken. Yesterday the phone rebooted 5 times, after opening random apps (phone, WhatsApp, Instagram). Today it only happend once. This never happend before. The case fits well and it was easy to put on, so I don’t think that I’ve damaged something when changing cases.

Besides the rebooting issue I’m very happy with new slim case. It makes the phone less “bulcky” and is nicer to hold now.

1 Like

Meanwhile, I also have a white slim case. I ordered it at a German retailer together with a new battery.

When I put the white one on for the first time this morning, the phone instantly rebooted again. This time, I realized that the power button of the case was stuck and kept pressing the power button of the device. The volume buttons also were hard to press. I put the upper part of the case off and on for several times until all buttons worked properly. Now the phone seems stable and hasn’t rebooted or shown any of the other problems.

By the way, the upper part of the white case with black buttons looks fabulous in combination with the turquoise back. So does the white back with the upper part of the turquoise case with the blue buttons.

7 Likes

Make photos and add them here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same problem here with the FP2 and new slim case!
Seems this is a new problem, is there a workaround?

1 Like

I have the same problem with my koral red slim case. I try to put the case several times on and off. This works only for a short time. After some minutes the home button is blocked again and my fairphone restarts repeatedly till i remove the slimcase.

I am also experiencing reboot issues with the new slim cover. When pressing the power button I regularly manage to jam it and it does not release. The continuously pressed power button then causes the phone to reboot. Swapping the power button with the camera button (which I rarely/never use) resolves this issue for me.

7 Likes

Do you mean physically swapping the buttons in the case’s rim or re-programming the phone buttons?

More and more folks in our Facebook group are reporting the jammed power button issue with the new slim cases and I’m wondering if anyone has found a method to avoid these jams.

I have a slim case since one week and I don’t experience the reboots. All Buttons are functioning perfect.

I only have one problem: the white case is getting dirty immediately. That’s not ok.

1 Like

I physically swapped both buttons. It took around two minutes and no tools were needed.

9 Likes

I have also swapped the buttons physically. The buttons did not jam again so far.

1 Like

I followed this piece of advice and, as crazy as it might sound, the very long reboots and drop in battery are now gone. Only downside is that the camera button is almost unusable.

1 Like

Same here. Two fairphones with new covers.
One calmed down after a few days and is quite stable since than. The other Phone was not usable with two SIMs and is a bit more stable with one (a reboot every few days). Had to try the paper battery thing

2 Likes

I received my coral red slim cover today and it looks absolutely fantastic!

Unfortunately I also have the issue that the power button gets stuck every now and then.
Subsequently the phone reboots if I can’t get it lose again fast enough.

Will try to swap camera and power button now.

1 Like

Perhaps Fairphone should look into stocking extra (camera) buttons, maybe even include a spare one in each set. Shouldn’t be such a logistical and ecological nightmare and extra costs are probably near zilch.

5 Likes

Swapping buttons works for me, too!

I can use both buttons now without them getting stuck.

2 Likes

The issue that the new cover may cause reboots, and/or that the buttons get stuck is new for us. We’d be very interested to investigate this issue further and want to to receive 4 or 5 covers back so we can have a closer look.

It would be highly appreciated if people who are experiencing this, could contact me, so we can arrange a cover swap.
(@Zorugal, @HolgerJeromin, @mgalactus, @brightlightbike, @Kerhac, @Palle, @Susi_Schmid, @KatYes)

Thank you!

7 Likes

Without reading the whole thread:

While I was designing my own cover I also ran into these reboots - in probably all the cases it was the on/off button that had a fit far from perfect. Sometimes I wasn’t able to hear it click or feel a pressure point of the button but it was still rebooting - so I’m not entirely sure if it was only the button but I guess so.

Once it happened even more or less randomly: if I didn’t touch the phone it operated normally but as soon as I took it in my hand it rebooted. I guess the on/off button was pressed all the time - enough to overcome the pressure point but not enough to have the signal triggered.

2 Likes

@Douwe: If fairphone will send me a new white slim case and refunds the postage, I can send you my case. I discoverd that it is the power/lock button (top right) that is causing the problem (90% oft reboots). It gets stuck and then phone is rebooting. In the beginning it happend very often (3-5 times a day), now it is a bit better (in average I’d say once a day).

This issue is strongly dependent on how you press the button. A colleague of mine with as slim cover is not having any issues, I however manage to jam the button on his phone just as easy as on mine. This is because I don’t push down the button straight to the centre of the phone but more from the back towards the front. I do this especially when I’m on the move and holding the phone in a tight grip.

Here’s a small video demonstrating the issue. As mentioned above I swapped the buttons (camera/power) so the jamming does not cause the phone to reboot. You can see that flat button does not release it’s self and the rough button does.

I hope this helps. If you still need the cover I can send it in but I doubt that will help much.

5 Likes

Same problem here with a new slim case. The reboots were driving me nuts the past days, but didn’t find the time to check the forum until today. Now I hope swapping the two buttons and holding the battery in check with a small sheet of paper will keep my phone from rebooting. But both problems seem to be the case on my phone, as I also had reboots with not interacting with the phone at all and with the new case there seems to be more space for the battery to move. Also I noticed the button problems - but would never have thought to swap buttons. Great idea @Kerhac - no jamming of the new button in my first tests.