Sleep timer does not change

My Sleep timer (Settings --> Display) is usually on 30 seconds. Sometimes I need the display to stay active for longer times so I set the timer to 10 or 30 minutes.
Since the last update, the phone will always go to sleep after 30 seconds, even when I change the timer. I am currently running FP Open 17.06.4 but I don’t know if the problem is related to the OS.
I really need this to work because I use my Fairphone for many things like stage performances where I need the display to stay active without touching it.

Related question: Why is it not possible to set custom sleep timers? Why can I only choose between those few available options and not give a number myself? Also, why is there no “never” option?

1 Like

I have this problem too - a newly reconditioned FP2 and I can’t change the sleep timer. Very annoying.

This article seems to show how to fix it, but I have no idea how to do what it suggests!

Can anybody help please?

I also had no idea how to do that stuff until I decided to figure it out. It worked and I learned something :slight_smile:
The quoted post contains all relevant information. The problem is that you cannot understand it if you have never done anything with adb, shell or even root. And that there are no comprehensive guides which are easy to find. I’ll try to break it down:

(0. Install Fairphone Open OS)

1. Root your phone:
    1.1 Go to Settings --> About phone
    1.2 Tap on “Build number” until it says "You are now a developer"
    1.3 Go to Settings --> Developer options
    1.4 Set “Root access” to “ADB only” or “Apps and ADB”. If you don’t want or need to have your phone rooted, you should disable it again after the sleep timer is fixed.
    1.5 Enable USB debugging. You should disable this again after the sleep timer is fixed and you don’t want to do this kind of stuff ever again.

2. Install ADB on your computer.
    2.1 Download and install from this page: http://adbdriver.com/downloads/
    2.2 While your phone is connected to the computer, the driver installer should automatically find the phone and install the correct driver.
    2.3 Download the tools from this page: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
    2.4 To install them, follow the steps from https://en.droidwiki.org/wiki/Android_Debug_Bridge#Installation . The rest of this page might also be interesting for you to learn about adb.

3. Make sure your phone allows the adb connection (it may ask for this)

4. Open the command prompt of your PC (Windows: Windows-Button --> cmd)

5. Finally we come back to the quoted post:
    5.1 Make sure the phone is properly connected by entering to the command prompt on your PC: adb devices It should output some information about the connection to your phone.
    5.2 Enter: adb shell
    5.3 Enter settings put secure sleep_timeout -1
    5.4 Enter exit

The sleep timer should be fixed now. It worked for me on FP Open OS. Not sure if rooting is the same on FP OS. If you don’t use Windows some things will be different. I hope this was comprehensive and that I did not forget anything important. I pity the lack of easy information on this forum or the lack of functionality to find them. There is a lot of good information here, but the search function is just bad.

1 Like

I guess it isn’t, as FP OS is not a rooted system. The possibility to set root access for your apps or adb in Developer options therefore is missing.
Well, at least I wasn’t able to find them (as I expected beforehand).

I guess switching to Open OS is the first step if you’re interested in anything beyond the surface of the Fairphone 2. It should be step 0 of my list. I would never try these things with FP OS. But yeah that sucks if you just want to get rid of a super annoying but simple bug which Fairphone itself seems unable to fix.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. But as my Fairphone is FP OS, I cannot set root access.

I too have this problem but I don’t feel like risking all my files and installing new software for this. Let’s just hope they patch this in a later update…

1 Like

Ok, so is there a solution that doesn’t require to root it? I can’t do that.
(For me the problem occured when I did a factory reset a month ago. Before, I could change the time when the screen should black out, now it is 30 sek no matter what I choose!)

1 Like

Also having this issue with a fairphone2 and the standard fairphone os 2018.02.0 on it, and I cant believe it that this basic essential kind of annoyance that is driving the user mad because of constantly locking the screen very quickly, is not being resolved inside one of the monthly fairphone os releases. Why not? :frowning: I am really frustrated. And I think with my device this is not even good for 30seconds at all, its more like 10seconds or maybe 15 :frowning:
any chance of fixing this for the normal end user not wanting to mess with the operating system? Why is this not being considered an essential serious flaw in the most basic functionality by the fairphone company? :frowning: please fix this at last. thank you.

2 Likes

If only to keep this open longer; I agree. I am really frustrated. And I think with my device this is not even good for 30seconds at all, its more like 10seconds or maybe 15
strong textany chance of fixing this for the normal end user not wanting to mess with the operating system?strong text Why is this not being considered an essential serious flaw in the most basic functionality by the fairphone company? :frowning: please fix this at last. thank you.

1 Like

… here in the community forum does not accomplish a lot usually for Fairphone’s official OSes, because this community can’t fix the code of these OSes, and Fairphone employees pop in here randomly, but can’t be expected to read everything. This is not an official channel.

Please take this to the official bugtracker, probably issue #92, it even “needs info” :wink: .

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.