Selling less than 3 months old Fairphone4

What product(s) are you offering? FP4, Grey, 128GB, 6GB RAM. Not even 3 months old, was using it for less than a month right now. I am simply not happy with the experience, unfortunately, was elsewhere when the phone arrived, my cool-off warranty expired.

At what price are you willing to sell or give it/them (for free/fixed/negotiable)?

£470 negotiable

From where would you be shipping (country or city)?

London, UK

Photo(s) of the product(s) (if it is a phone, please include a photo of the phone switched on displaying the current date):

Other, remarks: Apparently can only put one photo as a new member. A bit riduculous, happy to share more detailed photos via other channels.

NB: If you are interested and want to send a direct message, please check #how-to-dm.
Be aware, that cross-border shipment of batteries outside a phone is virtually impossible for individuals.

1 Like

Hi @Ewa_Dominiak, your forum trust level can be promoted manually by a mod/admin when needed. But being active on the forum for 15 minutes will already give you trust level 1 :slight_smile:

More on topic, what exactly made you unhappy with the phone? There are some known issues with the phone and workarounds. Also some software fixes on their way. Just letting you know, in case you were not aware.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As asked, I also wonder what did you find so unacceptable with the phone?

By the way the picture is fine, it shows the date and that it is working :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello!

Thank you so much for the message.
About the phone there is a list of things.

• Currently I am trying to establish if the reoccurring lack of network access is due to Vodafone or the device.
  • Was super surprised to see my screen unresponsive when using FP outdoor at about 3-5 degrees Celcius.
  • a week ago system rebooted unexpectedly

Plus there are other subtle bits regarding the interface itself but than I might be still transitioning from IOS to Android environment (never easy).

Hi

• whichever network you are using check to see if it is providing 5G if not then under Settings > Network and internet > your network ensure the option to switch between networks with the 5G option.

• Regarding the temperature. The FP4 is not waterproof. if you go from a warm, and hence humid atmosphere to a cold one you may get condensation in the phone.

Bold move ! You won’t regret it long term, I can only but encourage you to persevere on this virtuous path :smiley:

1 Like

Is that something confirmed by support? Because that would mean the phone would be very unstable, during winter (taking your phone out of your pocket in the cold) and summer (humidity). I also didn’t have this issue with phones that didn’t have an IP rating at all. I think it was just a coincident that the screen stopped responding. In the time I had a Fairphone 4 I didn’t experience this issue. And those were the cold months in The Netherlands. I also didn’t have a sudden reboot in the 6 weeks I had the phone.

There some other reports of screens becoming unresponsive. Maybe the quick and easy fix is to give the phone a good old factory reset?

2 Likes

‘may’ could read ‘likely at some point’

No! it’s just a matter of physics and I wasn’t suggesting that was the case in this instance, just to be aware of the issue.

Just to clarify:

• I had the same issue with Iphone just with a bit lower temperature and higher in the mountains (like 2000+ meters higher;) Display susceptibility is a well known issue for me, nothing to panic about, just surprised it happened at 3-5 degrees.
  • Reboot completely random, afterwards everything works… Can’t trace what happened, hopefully never happens again.
  • network, I guess it is sorted for now based on the exchange on the forum.

I do believe that this might be a great phone only for someone with a bit more time and curiosity to dig into nuances. Unfortunately, it is not me, I am a bad early adopter material :wink:

1 Like

Actually, even air tight packages can get condense. So no IP rating will help. Only if you suck out all the air you may delay the effects. It’s also scientific to reproduce hypotheses :nerd_face: So let’s not get too creative with assumptions, it might give the Fairphone a bad reputation while it’s just an untested and unconfirmed assumption.

With the iPhone this did indeed happen, but it was fixed in a software update.

2 Likes

I imagine the iPhone was better sealed against the weather, and as for early adoption :slight_smile: This is iteration 4. I popped in at FP3

I didn’t go for the sustainability and repairability side, it was the Fair trade minerals and Fair wages for factory workers that was the persuading factor.

And the FP3, well it’s a bit of an old design but seems to work fine.

All the best. I’m sure you’ll sell it and may be see you around FP5 or FP6 :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.