Secondary User -> forces Factory Reset

Dear Forum

Since two days I cannot use the second user account on my fairphone 3+ anymore. Around 15 seconds after switching the phone wants to reset to factory settings and restarts.

I tried deleting the user (which worked) and then recreating it. After entering the account-name it takes again around 15 seconds before switching to reseting to factory settings. The same happens with a guest user.
Luckily there seems to be a problem with the reset process and I can choose to try again to restart the phone. Therefore I didn’t lose the data from the main account.

Disabling a secondary user, restarting the phone (as well as taking out the battery inbetween) all didn’t help.

Any ideas?

Please see above it a known issue so I moved your post here.

1 Like

Experienced the same behaviour as described in so many posts here. Having updated to 8901.4.A.0016.6, previously working alternative users (mainly to use Teams with different identities) crash the system causing it to reboot into recovery mode:

10-31 10:59:38.452 19982 19982 I uncrypt :   received command: [--prompt_and_wipe_data
10-31 10:59:38.452 19982 19982 I uncrypt : --reason=RescueParty
10-31 10:59:38.452 19982 19982 I uncrypt : --locale=nl_NL
10-31 10:59:38.452 19982 19982 I uncrypt : ] (59)
10-31 10:59:38.466  1542 19971 I RecoverySystemService: uncrypt setup bcb successfully finished.
10-31 10:59:38.466 19982 19982 I uncrypt :   received 0, exiting now
10-31 10:59:38.470  1542  1676 D ShutdownThread: Notifying thread to start shutdown longPressBehavior=1
10-31 10:59:38.472 20097 20116 D TelephonyRegistryManager: onSubscriptionsChangedListener callback received.
10-31 10:59:38.476  1542  1676 D ShutdownThread: Attempting to use SysUI shutdown UI

Since the logs seem to indicate an issue with (a permission denial from) a location subsystem I decided to give user switching while in airplane mode a go. This in an attempt to prevent the fatal call. Although a long shot, it unfortunately produced the same behaviour, so dead end there.

On further note (and perhaps not related but occurring since the update as well): Control messages sent by connected bluetooth devices, such as headphones or a car (not Android Car), fail to do anything. No pause/play/skip et cetera possible anymore.

3 Likes

Thats not the most recent system version and this was causing the BT issues which were fixed with the latest update

1 Like

Hi Yvonne, thanks for your reply. Indeed, already updated to that version and it fixed the BT control issue.

Multi-user problem persists though.

Kind regards!

1 Like

Hi all,
Any news on this issue?
I’m having the same :frowning:

Hi if you have read the above you will see you are the news :slight_smile:

Same problem here. Since Friday 28th October when I log into my secondary user the function restore default features is activated automatically

Well, I was hoping that all those people who have created support tickets already a couple of weeks ago might have heard something back and could give an update. So see it as a little reminder

I recently received a confirmation that a ticket was made. That’s it.

Same for my support ticket opened on 25th of Oct.
I was then asking:

According to the forum, support request 553494 already exists.
Secondary User -> forces Factory Reset
Can I be in CC? Or is there some sort of public issue to track?

And the answer came yesterday:

As soon as we have an update we will let you know, but I am afraid there is no public tracker or thread you can be CCed to. That being said, your request is now marked so that whenever an update is available for your particular issue you will be informed.

I find it a bit sad there is no such thing as a public issue/ticket so impacted users could just subscribe and get notified accordingly.
One could expect FairePhone to use git repo and issue/ticket system opened to their community…

Anyway, we can only be patient, or give up on the inaccessible data and scratch the phone with some other OS!
Though, the bug might also be present in LinageOS and other Android derivative.
Too few information here to know the extend of this issue.

1 Like

Issue that are being worked are pushed to the beta team who give feedback, then if all seems well, i.e. no complaints from the beat team the update will be a public release.

• Not all complaints are dealt with in the next update as that could take quite a while and there are security updates to consider.

• Also the each beta testers doesn’t check everything. There are often updates for network compatibility so each tester is likely to use different carriers ~ one of thge criteria for selecting a tester. Not all the testers have all the NFC and Bluetooth devices so something there may be missed.

So although I understand you want a) to notify Fairphone and hear from them a) you can email them and get a support ticket b) but you won’t hear anything other than it’s being looked at and may be resolved by the next update.

It would be interesting, then, to have an estimated delay for this problem to be solved … Or at least information about its priority level.

That could noticeably change the user’s behaviour : if no hope in a reasonable time, I guess that people will reconfigure on a ‘single session’ mode rather than waiting for a solution to use multi session again.

1 Like

I understand your wishes, however you have to tell FP not the forum, as we are user like you and dont have influence on this.

1 Like

Unfortunately the official fairphone support did not get me any further and the support process is interesting - including fairphone endorsing this encounter group without moderation or status updates

This solution worked for me:

• go to your favorite phone shop
  • buy any other phone and restore your data - even samsung is going to support multiple user accounts on android
  • dump your fairphone

What a waste of resources.

Yes support is often not up to expectations but the issue is recognised so I’m a little bewildered as to why they would direct users here ??

This comment doesn’t seem very helpful to me.

It looks like I was the first to report this problem 2 weeks ago. And now we still don’t have a solution - so what? Do I think Fairphone support has been sitting idle all this time just waiting for my support request? No, I do not think so. There will be other things they have on their plate.

So I am patient … and I recommend the same to everyone who has the same problem

5 Likes

I have the very same issue - at least the error message is exactly the same - but for me I can:

• use the phone just fine as my primary user
  • reproduce the crash 100% of the time by switching to any other user on the phone; after a few moments I get the error message “Factory data reset” and “restarting…”.

However:

• I have an FP3
  • for me it started about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t done anything that I wouldn’t normally do when the crash happened the first time.

To the questions of @yvmuell :

• my SIM card is maybe 4 months old; I just removed it but the issue stayed the same.
  • I use an SD card for many months, formatted with exfat by the “add SD card” wizard; I just ran chkdsk /R (locate bad sectors) but all looks good.
  • Not sure how to do a backup that could be restored after a factory reset, but if all else fails, the factory reset will likely be my only option.
  • I added the bug report shortcut to the power button menu for the primary user; I’m guessing the secondary user can’t be a developer. And now what?

The only observation that may or may not be helpful is that the phone was really getting sluggish in the month(s) before, especially when using the second user. I got “system UI is not responding” every once in a while. Note that this was annoying, but not a problem. I assume it’s got to do with me using memory heavy apps.

Any ideas what to try now?

Thanks!

Andreas

This seems to concurrent with the same issue on the latest A11 for the FP3 which is with the OS development team

1 Like