SD-card problem after 1.6 Cherry update

Had my Fairphone for a week and a half, so far so good!

Except for one issue, that turned up now that i updated to 1.6 Cherry. I get an error message stating “sd-card broken” suggesting that I should format the card. Stupidly enough I didn´t make any backup of the sd-card prior to the update. I´m running Windows XP on my PC, and it can only find the internal memory. As I spent many hours of putting music on to the SD-card and sorting it I´m not really keen to do the same work all over again. Any clue of how or if I can backup the data on the SD-card before formating it?

Hi,

have you tried to remove the SD card from your Phone and Use an Adapter to read it directly with your PC/Laptop bypassing your Phone?

regards,
Shiny

1 Like

I tried that now on my laptop (running on Windows 7) that´s got a SD-reader. But no luck unfortunatly, I get the same error message stating “sd card is damaged and needs to be formatted”.

Guess I´ll have to put the music in over again, or is there any other solution? Will I need to backup the card before doing further upgrades on the Fairphone OS in the future or is this an issue that can be solved by Fairphone on coming upgrades?

Best regards,
Gustaf

Unfortunately I have no idear, how to make a backup of a dammaged SD card.
So I see no other option as reformating the Card and copy the music again :(.

I found a work-around. This free software called Recuva, which I installed on my laptop running Windows 7. Inserting the micro-sd with an adapter, Recuva found all files on the card and could back them up to my laptop.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

I´ll make sure to make a proper backup before I update the Fairphone OS next time :blush:

2 Likes