SD Card no writing permission in FP2

Thanks again for your kind help!
No, I can’t mount the storage or the external card and no app is working.
So I would like to flash the stock rom which I downloaded now. Afterwards I could use your platform.xml again that you kindly provided for me
But I couldn’t find a wiki for flashing the rom for beginners in the forum in a quick search. Is there one?

Hey,
I just saw you already opened up a new thread for continuing on your system rescue mission!
Anyhow, I am not so well versed with flashing and stuff, so I hope others can be of more help. Maybe you can ask @Moritz, he managed to get a softbricked FP2 working again with the OTA zip.

Good Luck! :smile:

Hi there,

I’ve installed open camera and configured the storage location to an existing folder on my external sd card. however the app doesn’t seem to have write permissions there. In the file manager I can change permissions but they doesn’t seem to be permanant.

Any clues?

Regards

Android 5 doesn’t grant general write permissions for the SD card.
With a rooted phone this problem can be fixed. See, for example, posts 2, 3, or 27 in this thread for different solutions.

Oh yeah I distinctly remember something now. Seems I’ve enjoyed Cyanogenmod for too long ;). Anyway thx for pointing that out. Lets see if I can root my new FP2 w/o having a brick :wink:

Yeah, there are many great features from CM that I miss on Android.
Anyhow, rooting isn’t too difficult. See https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-howto-root-with-superuser/12375

Cool as it turns out rooting the FP2 is almost the same thing as rooting a Samsung device. Not I’m the “king” of my phone with write permissions to my sdcard sweet! :smiley: Now let’s see what we can do about the notification LED color thing :smiley:

Again thanks for the swift help!

Hello,

Thanks to FBS (freibadschwimmer) - I rooted my FP2 yesterday. Indeed: also thanks to him rooting to me was easier than to pull and push platform-permissions. Typos inclusive from max_s who also made a great work.

So what ? No, I still can hardly believe that I had to root my phone only to use my brand new SD card newly formated inside FP2. (I asked myself “what the heck are you doing here ? Ah, you wanted to root anyway!”) I was reading the things about android security issues that hindered writing to my card. But why e.g. has a samsung smartphone user not these running gauntlets ?

sorry and many thanx to both FBS and Max_s.

I’m having an issue with one of my apps. I’m using Open Camera because there it’s possible to save my photos on the SD card. And I use Piktures for viewing my photo collections. Open Camera can save to the card without problems, Piktures can delete from the card without problems. The weird thing is, Piktures is not able to write changed content to the card. When I try to turn a photo around (left or right) and Piktures would save the new photo to the SD card, it shows

Piktures is not able to write or delete inside this directory. You may have to execute this action with a file manager. Thanks for your appreciation.

Saving turned photos to the internal storage via Piktures works flawlessly.

Any ideas?

Hallo zusammen, mein Englisch ist inzwischen schon sehr verblasst und wenn ich die Texte von google etc. übersetzen lasse, bekomme ich noch größere Fragezeichen vor Augen. Kann mir bitte jemand den Weg in guter und verständlicher Form beschreiben, damit auch ich mir die Daten, Bilder, downloads usw. auf SD Karte speichern kann?
Viele Grüße und schon mal ein Dankeschön.

Da das in Googles Sicherheitskonzept von Android 5 nicht vorgesehen ist, muss du dein FP2 erst rooten, um dieses zu umgehen. Hier ist eine deutsche Anleitung. Aber Vorsicht, du machst das auf eigene Gefahr!!!

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/de-pencil2-anleitung-zum-rooten-des-fp2-unter-windows/14243?u=irina_spitznagel&source_topic_id=11841

Anschließend kannst du generelle Schreibrechte auf die SD vergeben, z.B. mit dem Programm SDFix.

1 Like

Hi Joschka, also die app amaze oder der ES explorer, können das auch einfach ohne einen root zugriff, bei mir ging es so, ich habe den ES Explorer aufgemacht, dann habe ich eine Datei kopiert und wollte sie auf die SD karte schieben, das ging nicht da gab es eine Fehlermeldung die du einfach akzeptierst, danach geht es dann. ebenso bei Amaze (dass ist die app die drauf ist. also bei mir geht es nun wunderbar, ohne root. :wink:

nochmal ich, der Jon1 hat dies damals vorgeschlagen und es fluorierte :wink:
John schrieb (findest du ganz oben): ES Explorer and Amaze usually ask you to select the root of the SD card to grant permission when you try to do something, such as delete file. Have you been through this process? danach hat sich aus dem thema ein unglaubliches Thema entwickelt, es gibt hunderte ansätze, aber bei mir reichte dieser.

:de: Das klingt ja so, als ob die SD-Karte nur mit einem gerooteten FP2 nutzbar wäre. Ganz so schlimm ist es ja nicht. Alle Apps haben Leserecht für Dateien auf der SD-Karte. Wenn das FP an den PC angeschlossen ist, können Musik, Bilder u.s.w. von dort auf der SD-Karte gespeichert werden und mit dem FP angehört bzw. angeschaut werden. Auf meinem - nicht gerooteten - FP2 kann ich außerdem mit Amaze (vorinstalliert) und dem Total Commander Dateien aus dem internen Speicher auf die SD-Karte verschieben. Beide Apps wollten beim ersten Versuch, etwas auf die SD-Karte zu schreiben, bestätigt haben, dass das erlaubt ist. Ich kann leider nicht mehr genau beschreiben, was da zu tun war. Es war aber selbsterklärend und nicht kompliziert.

Zu beachten ist außerdem, dass SD-Karten, die 64GB oder größer sind, wohl formatiert werden müssen. Bei 32GB ist das nicht nötig.

Nachsatz: Da war @Mac_Marc jetzt schneller. Mein erster Satz bezog sich auf die Antwort von @Irina_Spitznagel.

Jupp, ich war schneller ;-))) ich wollte auch mal was helfen, sonst bekomme ich immer hilft aus dem Forum :wink: Danke euch allen.

1 Like

I tried more than one filemanager (“explorer”) including pre-installed amaze app. No writing access. Most people report similiar problems .
Even if reading SD card and limited write access maybe possible sometimes for some people the concept on FP2 for SD cards is another failure to me.

Because I had to root only to know that I have unlimited write access.
However I don’t need any SD card for read access only in my FP2 slot because the internal storage is too limited. The other way is required to unload files from internal storage to external SD card. Therefor unlimited write access is a must have.

If you create a new folder on your SD card with Amaze, a window with instructions will pop up and following them, you’ll be able to give writing access to Amaze.

3 Likes

I am not grumbling or fussing when I write that I didnot get a window with instructions. I see that it maybe was a mistake not to contact support first. I read this forum and I found clear advice to root my phone. Other question : Do you think a simple manual officially distributed with delivery of every phone was required ?

Hi dib0,
I get an error when I try to push the file. What could that be?

You’re still logged in to the FP. You need yet another exit to return to your PC. Then you can push the file

1 Like