Screen turns on and off when battery charge increases by 1% ,when battery is below 50%

Has anyone with a Fairphone 4 noticed that when battery level is below 50% and phone is charging, the screen turns on and off with every 1 % increase of charge? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

Didn’t notice that until now, no. I am at 63% right now, will try to reproduce later.

1 Like

How do you charge ( FP4 charger, PC, other way)? With my last phone (not FP) I remember a similar thing charging using USB in a PC thin-client.

2 Likes

This sounds like a cable / charger issue… :thinking:
Have you tried it with a different cable / charger?

3 Likes

I can say for certain that this did not happen to me with any charger/cable combination I have tried so far. I’d also suspect charger or cable issues.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the helpful comments. I am charging with a cable and charger which I got from another store. I thought it might be a charger issue so I took it to the shop and got it replaced. Still have the same issue.
It is strange it only happens when the phone is being charged when it is on low battery. For example at 80% battery charge, there is no issue. But at 20%, for example, the screen will turn on and off when the charge increases by 1%.

Might there be any app notifying you about the increase of power (every 1% below 50)? If configured a notification might make your screen turn on for a short moment.

1 Like

Did you replace the cable as well? :thinking:
When I tested fast charging the FP4 some weeks ago there was a significant drop in charging current at precisely 50% (sadly that topic is now gone, I don’t have a backup of the data).

I still think this could be a problem with a faulty cable not able to supply the current the FP4 wants to charge at below 50%.

2 Likes

Two things still come to mind:

1. please try to find another make of charger and another cable to test, it could be a very specific issue with that one model that is not fixed by replacing with the same make. Some charger/phone combinations can cause weird problems. With my old FP2 there was an otherwise well working charger that made the screen completely unresponsive while other chargers did not cause the same problem. It might be something similar here.
  2. essentially what @Volker suggests: did you install any “battery optimizer” app or any other app that might react to your battery charge level? Did you install an app that tries to read the proximity sensor to turn on the screen maybe?
2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments.
So it seems my phone is not compatible with the Sandstrom 20W PD Fast Wall Charger. I used an older charger and the screen didn’t turn on anymore while charging.
So it seems like I have to get a compatible charger. Let me know if anyone else uses the same charger above or have any recommendation for chargers

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update.
These issues can be very frustrating as actually all chargers should be “compatible”! But still, it happens, unfortunately. Chances are that almost any other charger does the job just fine.

1 Like

I don’t have the problem with an old 5.3 V / 2.0 A Samsung charger. I don’t know if it is sold separately.

1 Like

The official Dual-port 30W Charger sold by Fairphone works great for me.
With that one it should be reasonable to expect they tested it with the FP4 :smirk:

Edit: The Sandstrøm 20W PD charger (apparently the brand is only sold in nordic countries) is meant for Apple devices with a Lightning connector.
If you want to buy a third party (fast) charger, look for ones with (according to the FAQs):

Qualcomm Quick Charge processor compatible, version QC 4 or 4+

3 Likes

Thanks!! I will try to find a compatible charger or the Fairphone charger if I can find it in the store!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.