Roaming fix (O2, Eplus and MVNO's)

It depends. If you have a contract with O2, it shows O2+ as the connected network (e.g., if you draw down the notification bar). AFAIK, there is no indicator for customers of E-Plus. That information is a few weeks old, there could be more available now.

1 Like

If you want to know on which network you are, you can use Netinfo app

You can get it on play or on f-Droid. It shows the Network and the strength of the signal (2G, 3G, 4G),
when you switch on the data usage.

Without data usage you can get your carrier name with roaming info app.

1 Like

hey,
i installed kola nut 1.8.5 but i still have a big “R”. I thought, installing the update would make the R dissapear. What shall i do now?

Look at the first post. It will tell you how to install the fix.

How can I uninstall the 1.8.6 update?

Reasons: Last Weekend I was camping near Austrian Border. The signal ist very weak, occasionally you get the signal from austrian networks, but I didn’t get any signal for three days. My friends, who have the same Provider “Aldi talk” did have normal signals (up to edge).

So I asume, that it was the new patch, because the last times I was there I got signal up to three bars (and data too)

Now I want to delete the update, but I don’t want to reinstall the whole 1.8.5, because of reinstalling the start screens. I hope there is an easy way to uninstall the 1.8.6 fix.

It’ better to get a false roaming info, than to have no signal at all.

I guess the only way is to reinstall 1.8.5.

Did you loose your start screens installing the patch? I don’t think that should have happened unless you updated from 1.8 (with the v2 launcher). But to make sure you could just do a Titanium Backup.

Ok, I reinstalled 1.8.5. Everything is ok. I did not loose the screen settings.

I hope the “no signal period” is over.

1 Like

Unfortunately it didn’t work for me - the download of the original FP1-version went nicely, but when I choose “Neustart”, the Fairphone Updater says "Datei nicht gefunden: /cache/fp_update_999.zip"
Any idea what that means? The download file has a completely different name…

By the way: thanks for tackling that problem - it really got on my nerves! :smile:

@TinaBirn This topic seems to deal with the same problem. If you still need help after having tried the suggested steps, I invite you to start a new topic! :blush:

Sorry to hear that you have trouble installing it.
You could also try following the manual installation guide with the .zip file provided above.

1 Like

Thanks to @Urs_lesse I checked your post again and a question came to my mind: Are you sure, you have not unified your partitions? To check this, follow this tutorial.

1 Like

I posted the fix on the German language “Fairphone-Freunde” Facebook group last night and so far three people (including myself) reported to have installed it and that it’s running flawlessly. I myself haven’t been able to test it much, but the other two have had the roaming issue disappearing following the 1.8.6 update.

3 Likes

I use the Roaming fix without issues as well.

1 Like

Hi @Techaddict, thanks a lot for the additional response. But my problem is not the Kola nut update (that’s installed), just the Roaming fix. The reason is probably that I have a custom partition (done with the xda app). So I guess I have to live with the roaming warnings OR face the re-installation of everything again…

@TinaBirn Techaddict’s link works with other .zip files as well. It’s actually a more general list of instructions how to install an(y) update from the (micro)SD card.

Whoa! :frowning: How unfortunate, that might indeed be the problem.
Unfortunately if you changed the partition layout then the only option you have would indeed be flashing the phone completely.

Edit: getting mixed feelings now, the roaming fix software number is 1.8.6 could you confirm that you have that installed?

Hi, the Updater says I have Fairphone Kola Nut 1.8.5 installed. Not sure what you mean with 1.8.6? But I’ll try again and download via tinyurl. What do you think which version fits better? http://tinyurl.com/fp1fix or http://tinyurl.com/fp1ufix?
EDIT: btw, I still have two partitions, I just changed the size.

I am not sure (don’t have a self repartitioned phone here) but my guess would be the fp1fix.
Please try manually installing that as explained in the article linked in my earlier post.