Roadmap: All-at-Once Replacement (Recovery, FPOS)

Hello,

now that FPOOS, Root, TWRP and Xposed seem to work each particularly, I finally want to replace my Stock OS and put it all-at-once on my phone. All-at-once means actually step-by-step :sweat_smile:
I am no expert - I have lost overview over all the different tutorials and dependencies to check so I will just ask whether my here mentioned intentions are feasible without bricking my phone or risk too much.

1 - Flash TWRP-Recovery on stock-FPOS with tutorial from this forum.
2 - Replace FPOS by FPOOS with tutorials from FP and this forum under Kubuntu 15.10.
3 - Root new FPOOS (with SuperUser) with tutorial from this forum.
4 - Install F-Droid, Xposed, etc. on FPOOS and live a happy and free GAPPS-free life :slightly_smiling:.

Will this work? Which not already mentioned problems may I encounter? Are there any other reasonable doubts that this will fly, beside specifically addressed difficulties? Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Not sure it makes sense to use the rooting tutorial for FPOSOS. You first build a boot.img, and then you unpack it, modify it, and repack it?

Is there no way to influence the build so it will include root already? Might be worthwhile to try the following instructions:

Thanks for this very quick answer.
Last time I checked people had a lot of problems to intergrate it directly. However, I am not too lazy to carefully read what happened in the meanwhile - once I know there is tested solution I am able to apply.
But you are completely right i general, it is far more elegant to do so.

Is there a topic about integrating it in the build? If not, maybe you could start one so it would not be mixed with the other root attempts and compile issues.

I am pretty sure this should be easily doable, even with integrating a parameter to choosecombo so you could simply choose at build time if you want it or not. But I’m too busy these days to try it myself, sorry.

There is… maybe you found it by yourself already.
I only need to know, whether it is worth to start this journey. Because putting effort in it with disappointing results is no option to me. Further I thought I could be helpful to create a thread summarizing all of the progress since I got my FP2 almost 6 weeks ago, while a lot of people just received it.

Well the approaches described in the wiki there are both at post-compile time, aren’t they?

Well I am not sure - as you see there are about 400 replies - but I have in mind some people tried integration before compiling without success. However, maybe I’m wrong. A further question coming out of this would be affects on system-upgrades (and fixes!) without putting hands on it by myself always…

Well, if you compile it yourself you will of course have to update your sources and compile again to get the update. Getting updates via the official release channel will get you the regular version instead of FP-OSOS.

But since the normal FP-OS is almost the same as FP-OSOS, all updates from the vendor will (hopefully!) land in the source. Therefore, anytime FP releases a new update you know it’s time to sync up and rebuild.

Okay. As long as I may package them I am fine with that.

Am I right to assume that this will work since there are no more answers.

1 Like

You got it all figured out already :slightly_smiling:

TWRP Recovery, Stock-Android, root. Good luck. I would start setting up a working build process for the stock Android. It’s pretty simple, just downloading/building it takes a while and a lot of space (~60 G). And all that just to create ~260 MB of working images :wink: But currently all the code compiles, so it should just work. Good luck!

Update: Oh and it’s best to keep an open editor/cat around somewhere so you can log each step you do. Very useful for a HOWTO or docker build later!

I wonder: If you flash FPosOS after having flashed TWRP recovery, TWRP will be replaced by your own recovery, won’t it? If so, it might be better to switch these steps?! Unless you don’t flash the self-built recovery at all but only the system image (if that works).

I have not done it, but in the beginning I would use fastboot to flash the boot-, system-, and TWRP-recovery images. They all end up in “out/target/product/FP2” after the build. In the end TWRP is more for testing other things/installing unsigned apps and making backups in an “userfriendly” way. The TWRP-recovery image just replaces the stock recovery.

So, the idea is to flash boot.img, system.img and TWRP recovery instead of recovery.img, right? Though TWRP recovery will not end up in out/target/product/FP2 - only if you put it there manually (possible that you meant it that way and I didn’t understand :wink:).

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [HOWTO] :pencil2: Compiling Fairphone Open Source / Rooting