Removable bike mount for FP4

I’m looking for a bike mount for my FP4, ideally with rain protection. Are you using one, if so, which one?

1 Like

5 Likes

For to buy in Europe (Österreich):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Like in this previous topic, I’m searching for a holder for my bicycle. Requirements:

• Hold the phone safely (I just lost a headlight because I did not attach it properly, so I don’t want to see my phone flying when rolling on a bump).
  • Quick to add and remove.
  • Phone can be unlocked quickly and easily. With the authentication button on the right side, it may not be easy if the phone is in a pocket (it may be possible to press the button though the pocket and use an unlocking pattern…).
  • The holder can not be removed without tools (if I park it for two hours, cannot be stolen in seconds)
  • Durable (which may rule out all the holder based on rubber).

I own a Decathlon “metal holder” (similar to Gub G81), and its claws don’t reach to the top of the phone (with or without the official case). So even if I can press the phone firmly, I don’t trust it in case of shock. This model was great for my previous phone (Galaxy A5)
I tested in a Decathlon store the “easy” holder (same principle, but the support can be remove quickly) and it has the same problem (claws are not high enough).

I searched for information about several models like the “SP Connect Bike Bundle II” with universal clamps, the Thule Pack’n Pedal, the Zefal Universal holder… and a 1.3mm thick phone does not fit.

I just bought the Klickfix Phonepad Quad Mini which is supposed to accept any smartphone smaller that 16.5cm x 8.5cm (larger that the fp4 with case). It turns out that it requires quite some force to stretch the rubber, which is quite thin. So much that I don’t trust it to last long. And if it breaks, my phone will break, so I will return the product without even putting it on my bike.

So now I don’t have any holder, which was very convenient on a bike. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Here are some photos for the Kickfix Phonepad.

The rubber is thin, and it looks like it’s color is getting lighter when stretched, which is scary.

(sorry, new users are restricted to one photo per message, but as I struggled to find information about holders, I’m eager to share this information with other riders)

Even without the case, it does not seem reliable.

Welcome to the community :wave: I’ve moved your post to the existing topic.

Personally I’m very happy with a SP Connect mount combined with a hard case …

… and a family member is using the SP Connect universal clamp and seems to like it:

There’s also a universal waterproof case available that has worked without problems so far :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s the new Tiakia 2022 Mount Kit. It is now mountable without any tools.
I like it very much additionally to my old one.
You can switch very easy and fast from one bike to the other

1 Like

I bought the GUB P30 for 30€ in a local shop (after a very long internet search), and it’s a mixed bag.
Good:

• It looks like the phone is well held. I’ll give more feedback after a bicycle travel.
  • I previously had a smaller mount from Decathlon, but probably built by the same brand, so I think I can trust to hold it well.
  • It can rotate without unscrewing anything.
    Bad:
  • It prevents to use the fingerprint sensor. As you can see in the second printer, the jaws puts pressure from the top, and it shifts the case downward, so the hold for accessing the sensor is less accessible, and I cannot manage to unlock it with my fingerprint (did not check that in the shop). For now, the options I see to access the phone quickly are:
    • enabling Android’s Smart Lock (in the hope it does not lock the phone while cycling), press the side button with by nail to activate the screen and slide a finger upward on the screen.
    • if it’s locked, unlock with the pattern as additional step.
  • the top part (that holds the phone) is not firmly maintained in a fixed position, there is some play. It can rotate freely a few degrees. If you want to rotate it you’ll need to exercise a firm pressure.
  • To put/remove the phone, you have to spend a few seconds screwing/unscrewing it.
  • I hope that the pressure by the jaws will not damage the case in the long run.

The shop also had a Zefal holder (did not note the model and cannot find it) with 2 tall side plastic jaws (40€). I did not take this one because:

• I did not trust plastic (maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s quite reliable)
  • It’s bigger
  • it’s mounted on the handlebar axle, so the phone is closer to your body, so you’ll see the road (for example to have a quick look on the map).

I also considered the Shapeheart Pro (40€):

• a magnet is screwed on the handlebar (or maintained by strap/elastics for the non-Pro version, 30€)
  • a 1.5mm metal disk has to be glued to the phone case. The vendor says that it works with soft silicon cases (not with hard or textured ones). I’m not sure for the FP case.
  • then several testers witnessed that it holds very well (but you have to make sure no tto put the magnet on the metal disk).

There is also a version where the phone is put inside a pouch, but I could see two drawbacks:

• unlocking the phone will be even worse
  • the phone inside the pouch will be even less readable.
1 Like

An update for the GUB P30 above after 2 weeks of bike travel:

• The screw that keeps the holder in position on the handlebar tends to loosen. In particular I biked on paths with fine or coarse gravel, and I think that the vibration made it loosen. It’s a pain to have to screw it from time to time. On asphalt it does not happen much.
  • I think that the fact that the SP4 is quite heavy increases the problem. The holder will rotate around the handlebar toward me or in the other direction. That said, the claws still holds the FP4 tightly, so I was not much afraid that it would fall if the holder rotates.
  • The notch of the screw has worn out. I screw it with the hex key of my multi-tool, then with the supplied key. Because it’s worn out, I need to push firmly the key against the bottom of the screw otherwise it will not grip. I need to replace this screw…

Also one drawback of having a holder on the handle bar: if you want to put your bike upside down to repair it (with the saddle and the handlebar on the ground), you’ll need to unscrew the holder and rotate it if you don’t want your bike to rest on the holder.

Conclusion: a bit disappointed.