Remarks by the software update FP4 20230318

It says here that we should all give feedback. What’s wrong with writing this in here?

If you ruin your reputation, it will be very difficult to get out of it.
I was overjoyed to have received the FairPhone 4. It just worked in conjunction with the corporate environment. If the new FairPhone 5 has similar problems, then frustration will appear again. It stands or falls with the quality of the end product. It’s not enough to write “We are green” on it.

For me personally a better screen, vibration motor and camera would already go a long way. Software quality should improve as well, of course.

Aren’t these all parts that the Fairphone 4 could theoretically get as an upgrade hardware? :smiley:

Yeah probably, but I feel the camera could be upgraded with software. The screen, well, I doubt we’ll see that improvement in anything but a FP5.

I asked this in the past, a LED screen would be thinner and thus not a good fit for the FP4. The motor has to do with the size I suppose. Camera should be improved in software, but I guess FP can benefit from improved hardware to make quicker gains.

I mean feedback here about the update . . . yes, but comments comments and complaints about other things it seems a bit off topic doesn’t it ??.

1 Like

maybe? reflect your action in this thread.

Could you be more specific about what you would like me consider?

Thanks

There are of course also still the issues from Android 11 that also made it into Android 12:

I do still support their mission and I have high hopes for the Fairphone 5. But I sometimes do miss the fairness for the end users. Sometimes it seems some corners are cut to reduce the cost which impact the end users.

4 Likes

I don’t understand Fairphone. There are a lot of complaints of users about the topics SpongeBob addresses, me too.
And everytime a new update is announced I hope the problems like ghost inputs will be solved. But no.
Why does Fairphone not uses this platform for input in development!
Very disappointing :frowning:

1 Like

Maybe that’s because a hardware problem (and that’s what seems to be) can rarely be fixed by software updates.

3 Likes

The forum is too large to scavenge for info, that would be unrealistic.

However

• If a user has a problem they have the option to contact support directly to get a personal response. Repeatedly whinging on the forum is just asking for user sympathy from other users, which is also limited
  • Faiphone do create a new topic when they publish an OS update and that is the public place to make the odd note, but it is not a designated support topic. Bu continuously complaining in such a topic then makes in a difficult an unnecessary unpleasant read for Fairphone so can only slow down any behind the scenes solution

This platform is run by volunteers not Fairphone, they have minimal input and clearly want to keep it that way.

There are Beta channels for users to ‘help’ with but not that many people engage.

As for ‘development’ that a stretch, you mean a web interface for users to alter and present code. I think that would just slow things down more. You may have heard “two many cooks spoil the broth”

The same as I imagine most user don’t care about the developers or anyone else when they have a problem

:speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Presumably because development is outsourced, meaning in practice that the developers don’t care about this forum in the slightest.

1 Like

may be you are right but then they have to help and fix it. since the phone is modular it can be done. but they even don’t react on the issues. sometimes the phone has gone mad and goes it’s own way, just like Fairphone company

2 Likes

If you contact Fairphone they will respond to you as an individual. There’s no indication that a problem is a module problem and can be resolved by swapping.

You would have to go through numerous tests, or maybe if you think it is a module you could find a fairphoneangel near you that is will to help you swap modules…

2 Likes

As it has been a while since the FP2 was introduced my memory might not be 100% accurate, but even back then with the old models when software development was not outsourced, this forum wasn’t the input for development either.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but didn’t FairPhone start out with the goal of just being a proof of concept? I think I remember reading somewhere that it would be great if other companies saw things like sustainability and modular design working, and tried to use that themselves. Obviously, they’re nowhere near the size of any major phone producers, and that makes development and support harder.
I tend to be an idealist, and the fact that they’re trying to make a difference in the industry is something I’m willing to pay for, and I’m also very willing to deal with some additional challenges for it.

3 Likes

Yeap! that was my understanding at purchase, also why I didn’t bother until the FP3, with a daughter’s shove.

Well some reckless people managed to get/inaugurate Fair Trade gold and had to find a use for it ~ a phone seems like a great idea

Why would Fairphone need defending, it the general user that is dealing with how upset you are, and that’s partly what the forum copes with, as well as user experience is working issues with the phone.

However the users are not here to solve software issues and repeatedly having a go at Fairphone users is rather cruel.

Speaking up for an issue is something I consider positive along with the users. If Fairphone is of the opinion that you don’t need any transparency towards your customers, you shouldn’t be surprised if you use a different smartphone the next time you extend your contract.
Fairphone has the potential to take a strong position with their special smartphones. Like Apple with their iPhones, or Tesla with their cars. If you introduce a communication channel, it must also be maintained by the company and not left to the users. The special thing about the Bluetooth problem is that the users have also bought expensive headphones for their expensive premium smartphones, which currently sound like the 10€ discount devices.