Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

I didnt! amoun did…

Believe me I’ll be taking the wheelchair so not a good analogy :slight_smile:

I want something reliable that I can repair myself

1 Like

But if you need the chair to sit in, how do repair it?

Answer: get a second chair … just like people getting a second FP2 so they can use its parts to fix the first one. :smiley:

1 Like

No, the analogy is on you.

That strange comparison makes it look like a person is no longer “of use” when sitting in a wheelchair instead of getting a replacement hip; as the phone isn’t working any longer, when the bottom module is missing. And a simple workaround for all of its functions is hard to come by.

@anon9989719 simply stated, that updating the brain (OS) is worth it, even if parts of the body fail.
So, quite the contrary to the wheelchair argument.
And @amouns statement to take the chair just proves it.

Sitting on the floor while doing the repairs, maybe as well.
When I broke my display (three times really; clumsy me), I didn’t get me a spare phone, but went along for a while without one. Unbelievable as it might seem, but it worked. :wink:
Though I have to admit, that I am not dependent of the phone business wise or socially. Therfore it’s clearly not the way for everyone.

1 Like

Hi @oli.sax,

We don’t have any updates on the modem, so the 19.11.2 version is still the latest. It’s unlikely that the modem files will ever change again on FP2. We have some changes in the proprietary blobs only, and we keep them updated with every (source) release.

7 Likes

We have a first confirmed install of Android 9 … although after a bumpy road earlier today:

Additional information from my side: The final release candidate 21.01.0-rel.1 for the beta testers weighed around 1 GB (and this official release should be no different from it), so indeed make sure you have a good and stable connection when the update is offered to you and you start the download.

6 Likes

Haha, updating went fine here yesterday too. Already opened two bug reports. One on the issue wrt. decrypting I mentioned earlier. The other one is (sadly) a more generic observation: it’s less stable. With Android 7 I had a reboot roughly once a day, usually at night when it’s on its charger. With Android 9 I get reboots every few hours, even when left completely unattended and not plugged in… I would have blamed the usual “just after an upgrade your power consumption goes up” hiccup of Android upgrades, but today it’s been cool and holding out all day on a full charge. Still: reboots.

Massive thanks and congrats to the whole of the Fairphone team and community for this update - I can’t imagine the number of hours that have gone I to making this happen. Been running my FP2 for over 5 years which always seems like such a short amount of time in the bigger picture, and yet apparently a lifetime in the world of technology.

Looking forward to playing. Here’s a shot to confirm it (hope there’s no confidential data there, ha):

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, karsten :slight_smile:

Honestly it’s not clear for me what are the “proprietary blobs” , I was guessing it’s included in the modem.zip file (*) but after reading your message it seems not :wink:
However you answered my question, no update on the baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-08 to be expected in the future.

Best regards,
Olivier

(*) modem.zip contains the following firmware:
emmc_appsboot.mbn NON-HLOS.bin rpm.mbn sbl1.mbn sdi.mbn splash.img tz.mbn

BLOB is used as an abbreviation for “binary large object”. Any firmware or closed-source driver fits the bill. The modem is one device that uses such blobs, but so does the GPU, the camera, etc…

7 Likes

Yep, I’ve been deliberately keeping it to 16, though.

From my experience in the past, I prefer to keep to the “stable” versions, as the new versions tend to have (more) bugs, probably also because of the new features introduced. Yeah, all software has bugs. But I’m using this phone daily. also to make calls, so this is actually critical.

I’ll probably need to update soon, though, as it appears the support/maintenance for version 16 has stopped. (Maybe I’ll make an image with TWRP so I can revert if needed)

With LineageOS only one official version per device gets supported, so for about a year now only 17.1 is supported on the Fairphone 2, and as soon as 18.1 goes official (in LineageOS terms), only 18.1 will be supported.

So, whatever Fairphone are doing has no consequence for LineageOS 16 anymore.

4 Likes

Fairphone open, Fairphone open, Fairphone open…

Hope that we non Google Users will get Android 9 too soon!!! Please do not forget us!!

Cheers
Joerg

2 Likes

It’s on its way. Of course I can’t say how soon it happens.

4 Likes

Very good news! Meanwhile I use Pie from e-foundation, not too bad, either :slight_smile:

Hello,

the Fairphone Updater doesn´t inform me about the transfer from android 7 to android 9.
Is there any problems with the deployment ?

According to the first post, each day only around 4 % of additional users will get the upgrade. I have not been among the first either, still waiting for my turn, too.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, the deployment just started and should be done until April 18th.

1 Like

Thank you.
I hope it works. The idea to maintain as long as possible our equipment is really great.

1 Like

You´re right.
I didn´t read all the post and the answers.

1 Like