Recharging a Fairphone 4 during car/bike travel

Fairphone 4 users. I want to be able to recharge my Fairphone 4 in the car and on my ebike during journeys.This is so I can use a satnav app on the phone to keep me on the correct route. My current charger only works when plugged into a socket in a building. Any ideas or advice welcome.Thank you.

Welcome to the Community Forum. :+1:

While I cannot provide experience with doing what you are planning to do with the FP4, past experience has shown that the double heat load that this means – heating up from processor load plus heating up from charging – has sometimes resulted in phones (the FP2) temporarily stopping to charge altogether to limit heat.

I don’t want to claim the same will happen with your FP4 (or the FP3), but this is a challenge for a phone.

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

Is it always the same car, you will use? Doesn’t if have an USB-socket already? If not, there are several adapters for the cigarette lighter.

Which bike do you use? An eBike or a non electrified one with a hub generator? A powerbank ain’t a feasible solution?

1 Like

powerbank?

Thank you to everyone who has shared thoughts about this, I really appreciate it. I’m not very technology savvy as you can probably tell. My previous phone used Apple and I have really struggled with the Android system on Fairphone 4 as its so different. I bought the Fairphone 4 for its eco credentials and hadn’t considered the difficulties of using Android. I am older and wiser now. I have sufficient information to be able to buy an appropriate car changer. I think the solution for my bike is to purchase a powerbank. Many thanks to everyone for their help.

2 Likes

Have you checked if your ebike has an USB-port already, some of the newer ones do. There are solutions to retrofit something like that, what make and model are we talking? :thinking:

If you only need some additional power for cycling daytrips, I’ve been using a round Anker PowerCore 5000mAh combined with a Zéfal pump holder for some years now.
Easy to attach when needed and so far has survived every gravel route and even some light rain showers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have you tried getting a dynamo on the bike and a car 12v QC3 charger to convert to the FP4 requirements?

Hello,
I have an entry level ebike. I wasn’t sure how much I would use it so I just bought a basic one. I’m not a sports cyclist, my bike is instead of my car. When I retired 3 years ago I sold my car and bought a Victoria Pendleton ebike. I am very lucky as I live in the countryside in the middle of England, but there is a good bus service and I have a 15 minute walk to the local train station which connects to major UK cities fairly easily. My bike keeps me fit and gives me more freedom .

The bike is really heavy and that causes me problems. I am looking to replace it with a lighter, foldable ebike which will go on buses and trains more easily. I use my bike to go shopping locally and to go volunteering ( 22 mile round trip).If I’m tired I take it on the train.

The bike doesn’t have anything modern like a usb hub. I go to German classes 12 miles away to an area I am not very familiar with, up country lanes that are not well signposted. I get lost in the car unless I use the satnav or go on a very busy main road.

Now the better weather is here, I would like to go by bike, but am worried about getting lost. I think the power pack idea is a good one. I also saw a dynamo USB charger for use on bikes advertised in my cycling magazine. www.velocharger.com. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support.

2 Likes

Buy an ‘old fashioned’ hard paper map and plan your journey.
Also leave early so you can aford to go off track a bit a get the lay of the land.

I can really recommend the Brompton Electric, a family member has had one for about a year now. They aren’t cheap but very well built / designed and most importantly light enough to carry. As a fast cyclist I’ve hated every ebike I have tried so far, 25 km/h is below my speed without a motor, but the Brompton is just so much fun that even I take it for a spin sometimes :smiley:
And crucially, they include a USB charging port for your Fairphone, the perfect reason to justify the expense :smirk:

I just had to mount a SQ-lab 702 grip, because the included grips aren’t all that great ergonomics wise.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.