Rearranging Categories (again)

I’m all for a “Lounge:slight_smile:

1 Like

I like that idea a lot, but I would be more strict about it.

• Discuss
    • The Products
    • The Company
    • The Industry
    • The Forum
    • The World
  • Participate (in)
    • Local Communities
    • Software Development
    • Hardware Tinkering (DIY)
    • other Community Projects
    • Beta Testing
    • The Angels Program
  • (get) Help (with) (including guides)
    • FP1
    • FP2
    • a specific OS (mostly just guides)
  • Buy/Sell

PS: I guess the biggest difference just from a what-goes-where point of view would be that a lot of topics would move from Community/Participate to Discuss.

2 Likes

I think I can agree with many of the last remarks.
The categories don’t interest me: I only use the “latest” view, where I can see the topics I track (and the new ones). The forum grew so much, I don’t try to read everything anymore…

Further, this topic itself seemed interesting, but it went on too quick. I think there where already 15 or 20 (long!) posts when I visited the forum the first time after this topic was created. This was not very encouraging to take part in the discussion :sweat:

On topic, I don’t feel the need for change. If it would be done, I agree with @Roboe: “active” supercategories seem more logic.

All in all, I would advise not to spend too much effort in it. (new) Users will keep making mistakes, even if it’s the most logic and intuitive system imaginable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just found this:

Good comparison… :smirk:

Also interesting:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/why-use-categories-instead-of-tags/4104/2?u=stefan_fairphone

2 Likes

See this is what I mean about making these decisions, in order to understand the ‘maze’ you have to understand the logic of the persons that designed them.

I do think we need to keep things simple, and also avoid doing things that make it harder (and therefore less accessible) without the ‘knowledge’.

At heart we need

• A place to get help
  • A place people can participate/share/discuss android & other os’s, testing/bugs and hardware things non help related
  • A place to discuss fairphone things
  • A place to discuss anything else
  • A place to buy/sell

Sub-cats beyond this are not essential for all of these

2 Likes

So much for

:wink: … …

Yeah, “”“persons”“”…

1 Like

Are you saying that @paulakreuzer and I aren’t persons? :scream: :robot: :rotating_light:

Oh, don’t get meow wrong.

5 Likes

Well, that escalated quickly

2 Likes

Well, it wasn’t my intention to jeopardize the discussion! Sorry for the offtopic, :bowing_man:

Now, that full categories list of @paulakreuzer look promising! :smiley:

1 Like

I would also even more decrease the sub-categories*, and make category names shorter. The latter would result in (in many cases) expressive category slugs:

• Discuss (super-cat for everything else)
    • Fairphone #discuss:fairphone (both products and company)
    • The Forum #discuss:the-forum
  • Participate (super-cat for all other projects)
    • Local #participate:local
    • Development #participate:dev
    • Do It Yourself #participate:diy
    • Beta #participate:beta
    • Fairphone Angels #participate:angels
  • Help (including guides)
    • FP1 #help:fp1
    • FP2 #help:fp2
    • Guides #help:guides (rename to make it clear that individual issues in respect to [any OS] still go to one of the other Help sub-categories).
  • Buy/Sell

If we see the need for more #discuss sub-categories as we go, we can simply add them later. :slight_smile:

* I’m referring a bit to @Chris_R’s minimalistic model:

Especially the two “discuss” categories he envisioned are perfectly enough IMHO, for the moment.

3 Likes

I like that proposal too, only the #discuss:fairphone category would probably take some time to get used to, since it would be a merged place for topics that are now found in many different categories:

• Topics in a help-category that are not really help-requests, but rather general questions about the products.
  • Most of the topics in current software categories that won’t then go into help.
  • Many hardware topics.
  • All of the Roadmap category
  • All topics that are currently only in Community because that is where stuff goes that doesn’t fit anywhere else.

So this might even be the largest category then.
Maybe splitting it at least into 2 would be better. So:

• Discuss
    • The Products
    • Fairphone and the Industry
    • The Forum

Oh and just to make sure we’re all on the same page: Rants go into Discuss right?

1 Like

I would be fine with this, though I’m not sure about some topics, whether they’d go into #discuss:the-products or #discuss:the-industry. (I’d count the company Fairphone towards the industry and don’t explicitly mention it in the category name.)

For example, I’m unsure about (all in #fairphone-road-map atm):

Where do you see the separating line? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see a possible one: The Products is about non-theoretical questions about the existing products and The Industry about future products and wishes.
Then those would all be in The Industry.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Auto completion for categories

:+1: (20 characters needed)

1 Like

erhm so I need to change this?..moderators cannot do this?..okidoki let me know when…

If you find a way to grant us more rights I’m sure we wouldn’t mind. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.