Random reboots After android 13 update

Strange, I’m exactly in the same position as you and have the restarts.

I’ve deactivated 5G for now, let’s see if it helps me.

1 Like

As I said above: I now have the reboots too. 5G seems to be the reason, especially when changing the mobile cell (e.g. when in train). Contacted support.

Given all the comments about reboots, is it better to wait to update to Android 13? Will we receive notice when it’s resolved?

1 Like

I would have waited if I knew. No 5G means no mobile connection on public transport here :-/

I’ve had a few instances of this type of freezing, too, since upgrading to Android 13.

One thing I noticed was that each instance seemed to have the screen “half-” rotated, the content of the screen hat changed orientation to landscape but the screen was still showing in portrait mode, if that makes sense.

Yesterday morning I turned off the auto-rotate feature and have been running without crashes since.

3 Likes

Thats discussed here so maybe we could seperate the reboot from the freeze issue here and discuss freezing in the other topic

3 Likes

I can reproduce the error…

Every time I switch from the German to the Swiss network, the phone reboots.

This does not happen from Switzerland to Germany.

What happens if you switch off 5G?

It works perfectly for me to disable 5g on Deutsche Telekom’s network to stop reboots. But of course it limits the phone, depending on your provider’s and countries specific network coverage.
I found many places where there is on only Edge and 5g so no 5G means no real internet access.

It just proves that there is a correlation between 5G and reboots.
Valuable information for the developers.

Thank you for the advive to disable the 5G. I hope the support does something about it in a future update!

while I fear you are right, the developers should not need us to find root causes of their problems.

3 Likes

I beg to differ here. There is just no way to test all potential settings and circumstances that might happen in the wild somewhere. To reproduce and understand a bug developers need at least some kind of information. If it isn’t provided by telemetry it has to be by customer feedback.

4 Likes

Next victim here.
Telekom and O2 random reboots after Update to Android 13.

Overslept because my alarmclock did not work :poop:

I have contactet the support

That is strange. So far in the rare cases where my phone rebooted at night, the alarm still worked anyway. The only thing I had to do was to unlock SIMs and phone again in the morning.

i want to add us (my gf and myself) to this problem.
We both have FP4 with default Fairphone OS(Android11, 256GB, 8GB) delivered and have updated to A13 @ the end of september. since that, mine only had one, she had at least 3 crashes.

Last time i paused a youtube short and it rebooted. both of us have the closed bootloader, but i have developer mode on due to the ghost touch issue from last year.
My question now is: should i activate the logs (with logcat/octi) in hope, it could be helpful for some of us regarding this issue

Ok I understand you can use your phone in general however it freezes or it reboots? If so this is a different issue and I will move your post after your confirmation.

Well it does both. if my post has to be moved, feel free to do it :smile:

Beside above reg reboots for freezing see here

Same here, and already reported to the support with a ticket 4 working days ago, as suggested. Still waiting for an answer, but they did say it will take 5-6 working days for a respone from them. But seriously, rollig out Android 13 and then not having a trouble shooting team ready to responding and get a fix out in a decent time…

Anyways, for me, the reboots seem to happen when I lose cell signal (or WIFI), like everyday at work in the elevator. So I turnd of 5G as that seemed to have worked for some others to stop the random reboots. Did not for me, btw.
(edit: just looking for 5G in the settings does not do the trick, because I only got my physical SIM card as a search results and thus had to look with more detail for the off-option of my virtual SIM. With both 5G turned off, the reboots did not occur anymore)

New issue for me: After I pressed the restart button (with the physical SIM 5G off), the phone got stuck in a reboot-loop. Taking out the battery does not solve the problem - couldn’t start the phone anymore. I had to take out the physical SIM to get it starting again.