Random Screen dimming (while brightness slider stays at 100%) after A12 update

Hello, on my Fairphone 4, the display always darkens after a relatively short time. This happens especially when the Fairphone is used and heat develops through use. In my opinion, however, the time until darkened is very short. Especially when it’s very warm outside (I was on vacation recently and it was warm there. Sometimes the display went dark after just a few minutes.)
Is that normal? Can this be turned off or extended?

1 Like

You mean the brightness slider stays at 100% while the displays dimms? Or can you do something to change brightness when this happens?

Yes. The Slider stays at 100% and the display dimms automatically . At that moment I cant do anything to increase the brightness. I could turn it down with the slider, but not up (because it is already at 100%). When it happens I can feel that the Phone is warm in the lower area. I close my phone then and after a few minutes when the Phone cooled down, the display turns the brightness automatically back again to normal.

It’s a very annoying bug that occurs since the android 12 update

Hello I have the same issue on my fp4 very annoying

On my FP4, problem seems solved with the latest update.

[edit] my bad, still here

The last few messages I got from support (from last Thursday and Friday) state that it’s still under investigation. So if it was fixed, it must have been something ported from AOSP along with Material You and probably wasn’t intentional. Like I wouldn’t mind, but I’d be very careful about claiming it’s fixed. :smiley: I’ll definitely try replicating it again.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been fixed. Still exists for me.

2 Likes

Def not fixed 2 Minutes in the Sun and I dont see a lot

Funny enough I was able to make it happen just now, with a table lamp. Was holding my phone under a table lamp (75W equivalent) and after a couple seconds the screen went darker, slider still at full brightness.
Patch level FP4.SP28.B.065.20230420 (April 5th), phone wasn’t warm.

Tried to make it happen again, didn’t succeed, so there is a part of randomness in it (or some additional condition(s) besides illumination). :thinking:

It has to be related to the brightness sensor at the top. Maybe it registers the infrared light that’s part of sunlight and then concludes the user has their face infront of the display?

I think you are confusing the ambient light sensor with the proximity sensor. And neither of them work like this. Some apps completely turn off the screen when the proximity sensor detects a near object. But that’s different than this dimming. This actually resembles the screen dimming on some OLED phones, where it’s a “feature” that helps prevent burn-in in hot conditions.

I see, that makes more sense. So it’s basically the display thermal-throttling itself?

1 Like

Apparently it swings both ways! :astonished:
Yesterday evening I was using my phone in a dimly lit room (and the screen was consequently dim too), when all of a sudden, without apparent reason, the screen’s brightness went all the way to full!
Hiding the luminosity sensor with my hand didn’t change anything, the screen remained in full brightness till I switched the phone off and went to sleep. Phone wasn’t specially hot or cold either, it just happened, and it’s definitely the first time brightness goes randomly up for me.

Thats a bit a different case, even if you feel it should not go up, the slider moved. And not as described above dimmimg without moving the slider. Might be connected, however for me a different situation and I’m not sure we should mix here several brightness issues into one topic. Better open a new one and link here.

They should have kept Android 11 and only added security updates. The Fairphone has been a real shitshow since the Android 12 update.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. It’s really, really horrible with all the bugs. Let’s hope the beta testers help to fix them in future updates.

Hi! I have had the FP4 for a month or two now.

Overall the phone has worked well for me. There are a few quirks being in USA, but really not that significant.

The reason why I’m posting today is that I have noticed that my screen dims and then goes back to what seems to be full brightness at random occasions, what seems to be anywhere between a few hours to a day or two. I have the brightness at Max and the auto brightness setting off, and yet I noticed that the brightness toggles between two modes it seems like. When the brightness dims, the brightness indicator still shows Max. I haven’t been able to find any additional setting around this and so I wonder if this is a bug or something like it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue but no solution yet, sorry :frowning:

1 Like

You are not alone as you can see above