Hi, my girlfriend’s FP2 started to reboot randomly too after the update to FP OS 18.09.02.
I also had several reboots of my FP2 (while charging in flight mode overnight) since I updated it to Nougat roughly a week ago. Had the same issue a few times (in 1.5 years) before the update but now it’s more often.
I follow up my own observation above:
- in my case, reset app preferences / clear cache / stop background data traffic definitely improved the stability.
- some older version app makes phone unstable.
- using Apex Launcher or other 3rd party Launcher seems making phone unstable (but not so sure).
- I’d say battery lifetime (I received my phone on April 2016, so more than 2 years old) is better on this OS, but overnight recharge make the phone rebooting. I’ve tried several different charger with different output ampere without any success. I’ve tried even in safe mode but again rebooted, so I’d rather think there’s a bug somewhere.
I’ve got the same problem after the latest update! And I never had the problem before. So, a loose battery could not be the reason.
I am pretty sure the update causes the problem but I can’t find any rules that make the phone reboot itself.
same problem, after last update phone doesnt swith off and reboots itself, battery goes quickly and while recharging not possible to turn phone on and phone gets really hot…
It´s been practically two weeks since this thread was opened, and unfortunately this problems doesn´t seem to be even close to being solved.
There´s several things I´d like to point out.
- It seems quite clear that for most of us the problem is not hardware related. Even so, it´s wise, as @BertG mentions above, to take the test.
- Concerning possible solutions, or rather palliative measures, @maskhat suggests things like resetting app preferences, cleaning each app´s cache and turning off background data. Personally, I tried the first two for a week, to no avail. I just turned off background data for most of the apps and I´ll see how it works and report on it.
Some stuff I have encountered:
- Sometimes, after a random reboot, the screen doesn´t react to touch. Solution: Hold the power button for 20/30/whatever seconds.
- Battery usage is indeed better than before the 18.09.2 update, as well as the response time of most of my apps, but…
- Obviously, after having to go through a certain daily amount of reboots, the battery gets drained.
- I might have found a pattern: Whenever I go for a run, it reboots at least twice (if not more) in a lapse of 30 to 45 minutes, sometimes it happens after just 5 minutes. This period is quite usage intensive, since I normally activate, GPS, data connection (sometimes) and bluetooth; regarding software, it´s got both the running and music app on, both updated to their latest versions. This kind of usage didn´t trigger any reboots before, now it´s the new normal.
My FP2 seems to be rebooting even more frequently, whatever the usage intensity is. As some people, as well as myself, have mentioned, the possibility of a reboot is likely when the phone is charging or just being idle, or when it´s being used. This last thing is what I´d like to reiterate, the issue is as much the amount of times it reboots throughout the day, as the moments it does: for me it´s quite a classic to see the alarm didn´t go off, because the phone is asking for the PIN (please don´t suggest disabling the PIN prompt, nor buying an alarm clock) when I wake up, fortunately/unfortunately I´m a light sleeper; the above mentioned problem while running (I know, first world problems, not really an issue) In any case, it goes and it may go off in circumstances where the level of annoyance could reach sky high rates, causing potential loss of data, important calls and whatnot. It´s a connectivity device that can not be relied on at this moment, because it just can not stay connected.
I´m happy to see that people from Fairphone are having this in mind, as they have included this thread in the Android 7 update: most annoying bugs, FAQ, etc thread, where, @pastaman, issues like not being able to turn on the phone while charging are acknowledged as known bugs. But it is still very bothersome. Hope the FP crew can get to a solution.
The usual disclaimer applies: The forum is a community effort, and the moderators are volunteers from the community - so do note that we’re not the company. I do know, however, that there are a number of bug reports in the bug tracker, and that the Fairphone developers do read along there - so yes, they should be aware. If you want/need customer support, #contactsupport is still the best way to go, but feel free to discuss here to see whether there are any common patterns.
Hi, I can report the same restart issue since the last update. The FP2 reboots between 2 and 6 times a day. In most cases when the phone is idle lying on the desk, it does not matter if the loading cable is plugged in or not. I can not really see a schema in the behaviour.
Hi, I have the same problem since uploading to FP OS 18.09.2. It goes off and reboots several times a day and at night - in various situations, running apps, phoning etc. I can not detect any pattern. Unfortunately I already saw the alarm didn´t go off, because the phone is asking for the PIN. My FP2 has become very unreliable … Shall I downgrade it to Marshmallow again and run the update anew?
Same problem as well. Already late for work once because the alarm didn’t go off
Same here I even got a new battery but no change. Almost every time the phone reboots it doesn’t recognize the two SIM cards I have, and one of them is less than an year old. I need to switch it off, remove the battery, switch on… twice or more before the phone can “see” the SIM. It already happened that it rebooted late at night when I needed to go home.
Same with me:
My FP2 phone seems to get more stable and reboots are more seldom since …
- I cleaned the phone by deleting the data in various app caches and deleting photos (first made backup and copied them).
- I disinstalled several android Apps known for bugs that cause crashes, e.g. Android Auto and Spotify.
- I disinstalled safety apps: cc cleaner and go security. (Safety Apps are an issue since they often contain spyware and/or advertising)
- I disinstalled free cell game
Result: The phone reboots less frequently and apparently only during charging.
Same here. Crashes and reboots several times a day.
Phone is generally way more unstable since android 7.1.2 update.
Wifi doesn’t connect, apps/phone freeze and crash, phone boots very slowly… Very annoying…
Same situation here with my wife’s FP2. Fequent reboots after the upgrade to Nougat.
Same Problem wigh my phone - since Update to OS 18.09.2 - about 20 times a day and more.
Anyone can help?
Mentioned earlier, but perhaps not everybody reads all the way back …
#rebootsguide … contains some general hints.
#contactsupport … if nothing here in the community forum helps.
Hi there, same problem for me. No problem at all before update, many problems immediately after, with rebooting as main problem. Very frustrating. I did a complete factory reset twice, but this did not help. Other problems and probably related: camera app stops suddenly all the time.
I figured out that there’s no one mention this issue on bug tracker, I have created an issue report on bug tracker https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/182
Please contribute to give more feedback so that our developer will figured out the problem.
I also have this problem, just tested it some days ago, but I’m using LOS
Must of the times I’m using “Battery Charge Limiter” to avoid fully charging the battery.
My peek-runtime w/o reboot was 720 hours (=30 days) sofar, reboot reason then was a LOS update.
This confirms some of my observation (reboot on fully battery charge).
d2w, please bug report following my bug tracker.
There’s other occasion my phone reboots under FP OS, not sure if there’s something related to memory/cache usage on some app.