šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ Where are the LGBT+/Gay/Trans/Queer Fairphoners at? (happy pride month!)

Iā€™m curious how many fairphoners fall on the LGBT+ spectrum. Where are yā€™all from? Whatā€™s it like for you there?

Iā€™m a transgender man (he/him), straight. I live in America. We got equal marriage 3 years ago this month but yesterday the Supreme court decided a Christian baker was in his right to deny service to a gay couple for their wedding cake and police still donā€™t really care for trans people much here so I guess you win some and lose some here.

And happy pride from America! I donā€™t know when other countries celebrate pride but
June is LGBT pride month here so Iā€™m gonna do the most American thing and assume everyone around the world has the same culture and holidays as me.

9 Likes

Yay! :rainbow_flag:
Transwoman from Austria here.
I came out about a year ago - a little later on the forum.
I donā€™t think I met a lot of other queer fairphoners so far, but certainly some allies. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here in Austria the Surpreme Court had to weigh in so we will finally have the ā€œmarriage for everybodyā€ next year.

Happy pride to you too. :fist:

9 Likes

I love this thread! :rainbow_flag:

Iā€™m a gay man in the UK. Iā€™m in a Civil Partnership which is was the first version of the rights we won to recognise same-sex unions. We finally won the battle for equal marriages, so next year on our 10th anniversary weā€™ve decided to convert our CP to marriage. Interestingly weā€™re now battling to get equalised CPs so that ā€˜straightā€™ couples that want some form of union can have one without it being a ā€˜marriageā€™.

@FuturePOTUS weā€™ve got a ā€˜gay cakeā€™ ongoing too, but the outcome couldnā€™t be more divergent from the US response: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43955734 - I suspect the case will rumble on for some time yet and end up in the European Court of Justice for a final hearing where we tend to get a lot of sense!!

There was a fantastic ruling in the EU yesterday which means all EU member states must recognise the residency rights of married same-sex couples, regardless of whether the country they are residing in has legalised same-sex marriage or not.

5 Likes

Hetro women from Gemany here, but I am proud of all LGBT* who come out and live a happy life outside the closet! :rainbow_flag: :rainbow_flag: :rainbow_flag:

8 Likes

Over the years my niece felt that although she had relations with man something wasnā€™t right.
A few months ago she realised she is gay.
Now I she her blossem, growing to the full potential.
And I am so pleased for her, as is the whole family.

5 Likes

Here. :rainbow_flag: from :de:.

7 Likes

:rainbow_flag: Happy Pride Month to you all :rainbow_flag:

I participated in a local Pride Walk yesterday which was great. I live in The Netherlands and the situation for LGBT+ is good. Sometimes bad stuff happens, especially by people/groups who donā€™t like LGBT+ for whatever reason.
The police even has an LGBT+ group called Pink in Blue (pink being used as the LGBT+ community colour and blue for the police), they take extra care for LGBT+ related issues.
The Netherlands was actually the first country to allow same-sex marriages in 2001. As far as i can see it isnā€™t even considered special any more, apart from some groups who simply donā€™t agree, but thatā€™s their problem :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi, happy to say that there are happy poly guys too in the world, some live in Sweden :wink:

4 Likes

Happy late pride month! :slightly_smiling_face:

Just found this thread and wanted to say hello to my fellow queers. Iā€™m something like a :rainbow_flag: genderqueer poly panflexible person (they or he) from :switzerland: Switzerland - but definitions are tricky by definition. :wink:

The situation is pretty good here for gays and increasingly for trans people, even if we still donā€™t have full same-sex marriage. The latter is probably only a matter of a couple of years now, but our direct democratic processes just take ages for change.

1 Like