I think some rain water might have gotten into my Fairphone. It continued to work for a bit, then stopped. I opened it and left it for a while. I then tried again, but it wouldn’t switch on. So I plugged it into the mains power and the Fairphone logo came up on the screen, then it went, and then the logo came up again, then it went, and that just looped.
So I left it some more. Then I plugged it in again, the red “Low battery” light blinked and the phone physically buzzed, then the light blinked, and it buzzed again, and that looped.
I left it some more and I got the logo thing again. Now I am getting the red light and buzz loop.
I’m not sure what exactly is wrong, and if I can replace something to fix it. Any ideas?
You might want to open up the phone to improve ambient air circulation and to check whether the liquid contact indicators have turned red (if not, white dots). You can use a fan or hairdryer but NO HEAT, just ambient temperature.
Further to what @OldRoutard has said it can take days to dry well in a flow of air and ensure you dismantle the phone to get air around the modules and help dry the contacts.
For the dampness indicators you will have to dismantle the phone to the point where you remove the screen and then see this post and two above it.
hopefully you don’t see a red square. The top left in the top image is the red square in the bottom one.
I have read the water wiki and my description is what I get after having followed those instructions. I’m now trying to work out what’s wrong. The fact that the logo comes on momentarily tells me the screen is probably ok, and the motherboard is possibly still functional, maybe it’s just the battery or something. But I’m not sure how to diagnose based on this behaviour. Any ideas?
Erratic behaviour can typically be caused by corrosion of internal contacts or connectors between the modules. Your description “It continued to work for a bit, then stopped” is particularly suggestive. After disassembling the phone and thorough drying did you clean all contacts with isopropyl alcohol? They should be “shiny” rather than dull.
Contacts are the Achilles heel of modular design so need special attention especially after water damage or humid conditions.
Could it potentially be the battery that needs replacing? The red light suggests the battery is dead. If it’s plugged in and the battery is perma-dead/broken, would the main unit still be able to draw power?
Interesting that you might be able to fix it if Fairphone can’t. You must be a real wizard! Perhaps I should just send it to you first? I still haven’t heard back from their support, you’re much more receptive!