Publishing Fairphone-specific apps (Launcher, Contact Widget...) on F-Droid

This is only the case on Android 5.1, since it is not installed on Android 6 ROMs.

I totally agree with you on this, however, we have already published two of the widgets on F-Droid and it might be difficult to change the package name now. We have to request a removal of the widgets on F-Droid and re-publish them. Users that have already installed the widgets might have to reinstall them.

Yup, could you create a one?

Besides the package name, has anyone considered registering a community domain and hosting a small website that is collecting information about the work of the community? We could use the same domain as our package name.

3 Likes

We could basically use this one:

At the moment http://fairphone.community points to the forum, but I think that a real landing page would be better.

I think that community.fairphone actually can identify WeAreFairphone in contrast to com.fairphone. The thing is that Fairphone has registered fairphone.community for the community’s use and we would otherwise have to register another domain.

4 Likes

It’s just a namespace, it doesn’t have to be a real domain. It can be just wearefairphone, but I suggested that because permuting a domain is the most common practice.

Using community.fairphone as the namespace and bringing up a landing page (hosting it at GitHub Pages?) for the WeAreFairphone movement seems to be the best idea.

I can do the web thing, :wink:

6 Likes

Hi,
I’m on Fairphone Open OS. I just wanted to let you know that F-Droid wanted to update My contacts from 2.0 to 2.1 today. So I guess that there is a conflict with the signature.

2 Likes

@chrisse Thanks for this info. I just installed version 2.1 under MM, now the widget displays fine.

1 Like

At least one FPoOS user (@conrad) had troubles with this:

I sincerely apologize for the troubles.

I just opened an issue at github to tackle the package name problem as soon as possible:

3 Likes

We are currently considering to change the package name. Currently we use the same package name as Fairphone did and we have updated the widget so that it can be displayed on other devices as well.

Because of the update and the new version number introduced by it, F-Droid shows you that an update is available for the widget. For anyone running Android 6, this should not be a problem, since those apps are no longer distributed with the OS. If you are on Fairphone Open (that still runs on Android 5.1 and comes bundled with those widgets), you won’t be able to install the update or uninstalling the old version (because it is a system app).

Fairphone Open is expected to switch to Android 6 this month, so the package conflict won’t be a problem for most users after that. Furthermore we are looking into how we can change the package name of the widgets, which might me a bit tricky now that we have already published them on F-Droid.

In the meantime, you can simply ignore the update in F-Droid. There is an option to ignore this update in the F-Droid client.

1 Like

Nope, I checked both checkboxes and I still get notifications from F-Droid all the time…

It works for me (and worked with other apps since I use F-Droid for the first time, years already). It seems like your F-Droid is behaving oddly.

1 Like

New versions of My Contacts and Clock widgets are now available fixing the package name conflict. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Oh, you must have automatic updates downloading enabled. Try to clear F-Droid’s cache to clear the notifications forever, :wink:

@paulakreuzer: Yes! Thanks to @eighthave from here. We’ll wait a week for the people to migrate to the new apps and then disable the old ones.

1 Like

On FopenOS, F-droid still wants to update these 2 apps.
I don’t mind and don’t want to complain, it’s just to let you know!

Yes for a while, but then these “legacy” apps will be moved to the archive. So as long as you don’t activate the F-Droid archive repository you won’t get that prompt anymore then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi folks,

I just found that Fairphone “Show Mem” app is in the F-droid catalog.

I don’t understand if this is app can be installed with Marshmallow in order to get the “Edge Swipe” and remove the Marshmallow launcher.
I’m on Lineage OS so I could not installed it.

Do anybody tried it ?

Hi, I’m one of the maintainers of the app (WeAreFairphone at GitHub). This is the “Fairphone Launcher 3” app that Fairphone OS included before the Marshmallow release, featuring Edge Swipe, to be installed in any Android 5.1+ system (so yes, Fairphone OS Marshmallow and LineageOS).

It currently can’t be installed on OSes with AOSP launchers or with AOSP-based launchers (as LineageOS). Sorry about that. We have solved it already and will release a new version soon, :+1:

The “Show Mem” label is a bug F-Droid had parsing the app for its name, BTW.

Once we have this solved, I’ll update the old thread where all begun:

10 Likes

So, if I understand correctly the app needs to be updated to work with Android 6 ?
If yes, will it work with Android 7 or is it too early to confirm ?

Thanks.

No, the installation bug happened in Android 5.1 too.

But at the same time yes, because Android 6 introduced a new permission policy —you, the user, need to explicitly allow those marked as dangerous— and it is required to update some portions of the code (i.e. changing the background is currently crashing the launcher because of not-explicitly-requested storage access).

There’s some activity here again! :confetti_ball:

@Rudloff has been clearing some F-Droid backlog and contributing to the WeAreFairphone apps. He published the Fairphone Launcher 3, which unfortunatelly had some bugs (as pointed by @antzen above).

He has fixed them (1, 2) already. I’ve felt motivated thanks to his attitude, so I jumped back into activelly maintaining these apps and we are working on a new release of the launcher that will arrive soon, hopefully.

Congratulate @Rudloff for his outstanding work! :smiley: :clap:

Also, I wanted to ask a question to the community. I’m working in providing a better experience for new users by populating the screens by default for new installs, like the original launcher of FP OS did. There’s a Google folder that is only created when the user has such apps installed (i.e. when you have GApps). In a similar fashion, a Google Search widget is pre-loaded on top of the screen. Users without GApps (we recognize there are a lot of users #livingwogoogle here, myself included) see an almost empty screen, then. I want to change that.

What do you prefer?

• Put the Fairphone Clock widget in the main screen and remove the Google Search widget
  • Put the Fairphone Clock widget on top, followed by the Google Search below
  • Keep just the Google Search widget (users without GApps will see an almost empty screen)

0 voters

4 Likes