Publishing Fairphone-specific apps (Launcher, Contact Widget...) on F-Droid

Thank you for adding the licenses, I’ll add the apps to the F-Droid submission queue today.

EDIT: Alright, I have added the apps to the submission queue. Let’s see how that goes, maybe we have to make some modifications to the source code.

EDIT 2: The contact widget was added, if the build completes, it might take a few more days to be available on F-Droid. The launcher and the clock widget need some modifications (we need to pull some jar files from maven, instead of shipping them in binary form). We should be able to get this done in a few days.

EDIT 3: I have made the necessary modifications to the source code, looks good so far! If everything goes as expected, we might see the apps by the end of the week in F-Droid.

6 Likes

Dear all, could the Recently Used / Most Used widget be added to that list? Thanks so much, this was really useful.

This widget is part of the Fairphone Launcher.

2 Likes

I too was hoping that soon the FP widgets finally be standalone apps, so that other launchers can use those widgets too.

3 Likes

We might be able to build something like that in the future, however it is not that easy, since those widgets are deeply coupled with the launcher.

2 Likes

Well if and when you start working on it and need some donations or beta testers, count on me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Contacts is now available! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would be great, if someone could come up with new icons! :smiley:

2 Likes

How about:

:wink:

5 Likes

Installed “my contacts” but can’t find it in the widgets list?! It should be there, right?

Same for me, can’t find it in the Widgets list after installing version 1.02. Reboot didn’t help either.

1 Like

Woops, I can reproduce this on a Moto G, Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.0), yup

I cannot reproduce this with my LineageOS 13 tablet, after installing the widget from F-Droid it is available with it’s localized name under widgets. The app version is “2.0” for me.

Edit: I have conducted some research and updated the widget. Could you test this version (after uninstalling the F-Droid version)?
I have added android:installLocation="internalOnly" in AndroidManifest.xml and android:minResizeHeight="212dp" in people_widget_info.xml.

3 Likes

@jnsp: You are right, F-Droid version was 2.0, added on 2017-05-06.
I tested with the version you have provided in your post above, with that one the widget is displayed fine.
Thanks for the quick fix!

2 Likes

Thanks, that was fast! All fine with your download version here, too.

1 Like

Great! I’ll update the F-Droid version accordingly this day.

Any suggestion on the icon? I’ll probably implement @paulakreuzer’s suggestion.

6 Likes

Do you mean the app icon?! I don’t think that’s a good idea. Too niche, nobody will understand that.

In my experience, open emojis are handy when making icons, Twidere or EmojiOne v2. We could maybe try that.

3 Likes

Yep, I meant the app icon :smiley:

I think you’re right, this is too niche and nobody outside of the FP community will get it.

We should collect some ideas from the community and then make a poll here in the forum, what do you think?

3 Likes

Is that a problem? The app is not really meant for people outside the FP-universe. And I quite like the idea of Bas being an icon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that the widget could actually be something that takes the “Fairphone-spirit” to other mobile phones (and maybe their owners eventually breathe in that spirit).

1 Like