Proper USB unplugging sequence

Hello !

Foreword: my Fairphone interface is in French. In my message, I translated text from the Fairphone interface from French to English, so it’s probably not the exact words you’d get from an English interface.

I’m trying to properly unplug my USB memory stick from my Fairphone. What I do is:

1. Close all open apps
  2. Browse to Parameters > Storage > click Uninstall USB memory.
  3. Warning message “some app will be unusable”: click OK.
  4. Read the “will be unmounted” message.
  5. Unplug the USB stick.

Then the “External USB storage unplugged” notification appears. I can’t read the actual message as clicking on the notification makes it disappear. This notification makes me believe I did not properly unplug the stick.

My questions:

1. What is the proper course of action to unplug an USB stick? I don’t want to lose any data, in the phone or on the stick.
  2. Interface is pretty confusing (at least in French) : in settings we can read “External USB Storage” then “Uninstall internal USB memory” for the same action, future seems to be used instead of present tense, wording is poor on the “Unplugged External USB storage” notification. Where can I discuss/propose French translation updates?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I think you’re doing it correctly. Maybe you could exit the affected app (File explorer?) by pressing the back button repeatedly or holding home button longer and swipe the apps away.
If you need real help or want to file a bug you should contact support since this is mostly a user platform:
https://www.fairphone.com/support

Thanks for your reply. I edited my original post to add that I do close all apps before unmounting. (long home button > swipe apps away).