Problems after update, no Google apps, other apps failing

Hi all!

I have a FP1U (second batch) and just tried to update the system. It went so bad. I have lost all google apps (including google play) and cannot reinstall them, some apps are crashing repeatedly, cannot continue to update the phone (it that is even something that I need)… I have been reading other posts about the similar problems but cannot solve my issue. Basically, lot of people has problems, but solutions never arrive. The tutorial are a real pain, stupidly simple, saying basic stuff that we have (of course) already tried before coming to a forum.
I have tried to use the widget to install google apps, but when I add the widget to the screen I see a “installing google apps” icon instead of the usual icon, and of course nothing is getting installed.
I tried going to the fairphone updater and it is said that there is a new version available (what?? I just updated!), Jelly Bean 11-2014 4.2.2, but if I try to install, it tells that the updater is running in a second plane (I cannot provide the exact words as I am using the phone in Spanish). The icon of updates is of course on the top, but it won’t work neither.

First of all, to avoid this:

Go to Settings >Developer Options > and tick “stay awake”. Then plug in your phone before you try updating again.

Secondly, this:

sounds like you installed “Stock Android”. If you want to go back to “Fairphone OS” go to your Updater App > Advanced Mode > Android for Fairphone and install the latest version. (Kola Nut 1.8.7).

If none of that works you may need to install manually.

PS:

Thirdly, when you say: [quote=“Javier_Fajardo, post:1, topic:11422”]
I have been reading other posts about the similar problems but cannot solve my issue. Basically, lot of people has problems, but solutions never arrive. The tutorial are a real pain, stupidly simple, saying basic stuff that we have (of course) already tried before coming to a forum.
[/quote]
I wonder, did you see this topic:

Lastly:

This is a community-forum. For official responses it’s best to contact Fairphone directly.

1 Like

Which is the update you tried to make? From Fairphone OS Cherry 1.6 to Kola Nut 1.8.7 (both of them are Android 4.2)? I could try to help you in Spanish…

2 Likes

Thanks Paul,
that was very helpful. I am sorry I lost a bit my temple, I had been failing for several hours. I keep getting notifications of available updates, but I will keep trying or leaving it in a point where it works eventually. Thanks anyway for your kind help.

Thanks Irina for your help. I am trying to get 1.8.7… I keep getting the available update notification, but I see it is already updated. I will leave it where it is, things seem to work fine, and I will try to install Google apps throw the installer. Thanks

When I upgraded from Cherry 1.6 I had to do three upgrades. The first one upgrades the upgrader app, then the real upgrade is made and the third step is the installation af google apps.

1 Like