I’ve been thinking about how to make a solar charger back for the Fairphone 2. Would it be possible to have a solar panel that sat between the electronics and the transparent back cover? I guess the major question is is there room between the electronics and the back cover to do this? These are the major advantages and issues I can see with this idea:
- Lots of guides already online to base building it on
- Will need less parts which will reducing cost, materials used
- You should be able to use off the shelf parts, the panel and the connector to the phone’s additional port, this would make it much easier for people to source the parts and connect them using minimal tools
- Low cost means we could try lot of variations to see what works better
- No additional cover needed, you wouldn’t need to 3d print a special back if you wanted to make one yourself
- The back cover would protect the solar panel as well
- Is there enough room for it?
- Finding a solar panel the correct size
- How much will the transparent back reduce the amount of usable light getting to the panel?
- Avoiding short circuits between the phone electronics and the solar charger electronics