Porting LineageOS to FP2

I just did a factory reset from within Fairphone Open OS thinking it would reset my phone to a somewhat near initial state … wrong, OS and TWRP are the same and encryption is still there, only every other user-related stuff is gone and the OS starts with the initial setup.
Dear diary, “factory reset” nowadays seems to be a funny thing not 100% related to the term I once knew, I’m feeling old :slight_smile: …
So I wiped everything in TWRP and formatted data again to get rid of the encryption.

This time I installed the newer LineageOS build from over at the OTA thread like @sky suggested, and indeed, FM Radio and encryption do work.
Awesome :+1:!

6 Likes

There are lineageos repos now for fairphone:

Code review is done through gerrit as usual:
https://review.lineageos.org/

It is not yet an official device with nightlies.

What is missing?

• CVE updates
  • more code review
  • switch to a better kernel source at some point (maybe not a showstopper, but would be good)
25 Likes

Getting the FP2 listed as an official device and official builds are a goal though? Just wondering because of the we-are-fairphone OTA etc.
Currently waiting for that, so I do get the “official” OTAs from the beginning.

1 Like

Yup: The OTA server is doing the building for now (and swithing to the official repo) and when it’s official device I’ll make 2 migration zips to hop on the official release without a factory reset.

8 Likes

Just did a successful build with this manifest:

<manifest>
    <remote fetch="https://github.com/" name="github2" />
    <project name="LineageOS/android_device_fairphone_FP2" path="device/fairphone/FP2" remote="github2" revision="cm-14.1" />
    <project name="LineageOS/android_kernel_fairphone_msm8974" path="kernel/fairphone/msm8974" remote="github2" revision="cm-14.1" />
    <project name="FairBlobs/proprietary_vendor_fairphone-fork" path="vendor/fairphone" remote="github2" revision="cm-14.1" />
    <project name="lineageos/android_device_qcom_common" path="device/qcom/common" remote="github2" revision="cm-14.1" />
</manifest>

See: https://fp2.joutubes.nl/jenkins/job/FP2-LineageOS14.1/24/

Starting a new build with the old keys (OTA signing) and OTA url, so this will work again. I will test the zip tomorrow and then push the semi-official release over OTA if everything looks great!

6 Likes

I have updated the modem.zip file to the latest modem firmware of Fairphone OS 17.07.6. This time I have added proper output to the installation script. This zip file also includes the official Fairphone splash image. In case you have installed a custom splash image, you might want to reflash it.

:file_folder: Download: modem-17.07.6.zip
:bookmark_tabs: SHA256: 0b2f6998309163cb85e9a95d57ca0b32349c0de9081e0e3154075d86a4c1515a

After you have flashed the zip file, you should see the version 4436.1-FP2-0-04 under Settings -> About Phone -> Baseband Version.

Since those are binary blobs, I have no idea what has changed since the previous release. But comparing the image files, I can see that the following files were changed:

• emmc_appsboot.mbn
  • NON-HLOS.bin
  • rpm.mbn
  • sbl1.mbn

The following files were not changed since previous release:

• splash.img
  • tz.mbn

The following files were included in the previous release, but not in the current:

• sdi.mbn

I included sdi.mbn and the unchanged files in the modem.zip file, so you can upgrade from older versions as well.

Alternatively, you can flash the latest modem firmware using fastboot. You can get the firmware images from the official Fairphone OS downloads page (scroll down to binary images). Don’t flash system.img, boot.img and recovery.img obviously.

5 Likes

(emphasis by me)

Yeah, you finally included sdi.mbn in the ZIP, :wink:

… which was last updated in FPOS 1.4.2, about a year ago. Those were the days… :wink:

What is it about sdi.mbn? I tried googling it but with no success.

Thanks for the update. Sadly this update still suffers from the proximity sensor wakelock bug. Can one of the devs confirm that the old modem files that we used as workaround on FP OpenOS would work on Lineage OS, or is there a compatibility issue ?

The old modem files for Fairphone Open OS should work. However, they might contain unpatched security vulnerabilities and it is not recommended to use them.

If you run into problems with the old modem files, you can always flash the latest modem.zip from the first post of this thread.

3 Likes

In your build from 31th, did you change dpi settings? I have the impression that find are smaller and space is distributed differently ok my screens (Nova launcher)

It’s using the actual screen dpi of the phone and Fairphone doesn’t use that value because it isn’t compliant with the Google CTS

3 Likes

Well, the display indeed looks sharper… But my old eyes, after a day in front of a computer :wink:

1 Like

Would it be possible to put this patch in “our” build soon(!) ? People (myself included) are having exactly that problem: No microphone on Skype and Skype for Business.
https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/181383/
I just modified the file on my phone and uploaded it to /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml and microphone is back on Skype. Here is the attached file (just remove the .pdf extension that is just there to fool the upload restriction in the forum).
mixer_paths.xml.pdf (47.8 KB)

Should be in the latest build…

1 Like

Yes, I added it, but without being able to test this myself. Please let us know here, if that fixed it.

Chris

Building a build with the mixer commit in there. See progress here.

1 Like

Can you please test the testbuild and report if it works now? If yes, I will push this update through OTA.

You’ll need to flash this test release through TWRP.

1 Like

I just flashed it and gave it a quick test: Skype microphone works. I could not test Skype for Business, but my guess is that it uses the same low latency mixer that was missing.
I think it can go out via OTA.