Poll: What case do you use for your Fairphone 1 + Experiences

Well, I bought the official blue case but I donā€™t use it for two reasons:

1: I use a belt case and couldnā€™t find one which would fit the phone + protective case
2: The case tends to toggle the on/off button at will, itā€™s a very tight fit.

@fgaine & @moviemaniac

Fair enough that your not using the official case. It can take a little playing around to get it to fit right, the trick is to bend it (sometimes a lot more times than the official video/guidance says). It does generally work. I updated this topic the other day

Yeah official case is annoying with usb cable and headphones, it doesnā€™t fit well enough. As for the screen I keep the phone in my side pocket screen facing my leg, and Iā€™m not putting my keys in the same pocket. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello,
I got a 3D-printed case for my phone last week, I was curious about the thing.
The printer is not using a ā€œFairphone recommended printerā€, but I wanted to go and pick it up myself, so the list of available printers near home was lower. He gave me the 1st print test, printed on the side rather than standing up, and itā€™s more fragile. The thread used is rather hard and might end up being breakable, I think Iā€™ll try and get another one printed with flexible PLA later.
I have no case to protect the screen, keeping the phone away from keys and being careful not to drop the phoneā€¦

I found that the FP is rather slippery without a case, the case gives me a better grip.

Carine

I donā€™t like the solid casesā€¦ Iā€™m using my old HTC leather pouch (with the tag to pull out the phone) but itā€™s too small for the FP.

Has anyone found a simple leather pouch that fits the FP properly? The average skanky phone accessory stalls never seen to have this type of case at all.

@adrian

I have seen this link on this topic which you might find interesting - some leather pouches :smile:

I can recommend Kancha Design, which also focusses on a fair and sustainable production (see http://kancha.de/en/story/ ) Order here https://www.fairnopoly.de/users/kancha or http://kancha.de/en/shop/
You can select the Fairphone as your gadget when ordering.

My girlfriend is using this sleeve, which fits perfectly: http://www.shop-ni-ki.com/index.php?k=49

2 Likes

Ooh, they look very tasteful - thanks!

1 Like

I just ordered one from these guys: http://www.pack-smooch.com/en/phone-cases/fairphone.html (I got the Kirkby one). Itā€™s a company based in Hamburg, Germany, and their cases look really nice, also those for other devices (tablets, laptops, etc.). Iā€™ll report back once I have my case. :smile:

I got it today! Hereā€™s a picture courtesy of the FP. Itā€™s really well-made and looks like itā€™ll last. Itā€™s a bit snug right now but I assume itā€™ll give a little with time. Iā€™d recommend them!

2 Likes

Bought the official black. It took less then two weeks for the screen to break, since it never fit well into the case (I did super much of the bending told to do, but it didnā€™t help) so at first fall the screen gave up. I donā€™t know when there will be spare parts for the FP1U, but then I will definitely get a flip-case that make sure that my screen is a couple of millimeters under the case edge.

My blue fairphone Casey arrived today. I noted directly that it doesnt fit well. Even after some bending in different directions. The rim seems too low. It would be good if the Case rim could extend more over the edges of the phone. Not sure how well the screen is protected

After some days of use I can say it meanwhile fits great. One has to be patient! But the rim could still be a bit higher

1 Like

As a serial dropper of phones, Iā€™ll study this thread well while waiting for the phone that is on itā€™s way. I donā€™t want to become an expert on how to change the display. Iā€™d really love a flip cover where I can trust the product I buy to be as fair as possible, but this seems to be a tall order. I suppose I might just sew a wool/neoprene case and try to force myself to actually put my poor phone in itā€™s case most of the time.

Still, Iā€™ll keep following this thread in case a superb, fair(-ish) flip cover suddenly appears.

My neighbour made a leather pouch for it, which is great. But then again, it is not protected when you are actually using itā€¦

I had my case printed at a 3D hub and it fits very nicely but there was no choice of material (it is PLA). So I have a very rigid case that went onto the phone easily but now cannot be removed without damaging/breaking the case! I didnā€™t realise that other, more flexible materials would have been a possibility as I would have preferred something that could be removed when necessary.

2 Likes

Hi @CathyD,

I have a PLA 3D printed case as well, and too was a little worried that it was too rigid and might snap. But I have been able to take my phone out of the case. I presume they are made to the same standard and specs, mine was printed standing upright ( I wonder if this makes a difference?)

I start removing the case by partly releasing the phone at the top left hand corner (next to headphone socket). Then I use my right thumb and first finger to pull the phone forward - whilst simultaneously using my left hand thumb to pull back the bottom left hand part of the case (just below the volume adjust button). The phone just pops out.

Interestingly the 3D printers I went to are trialing a new flexible rubbery material that feels alot nicer and would be a lot easier to get on and off - they said the might trial it with the fairphone case, so I let this forum know if this is done.

All the best

Eddie

2 Likes

Hi Eddie!

Thanks. I have tried doing it as you suggest and it pops out fine!

Cathy

1 Like

I went with a 3D printed case also out of curiosity. And while the case isnā€™t perfect, I really like it. Some of the edges are a little rough but I donā€™t mind that at all, and the material isnā€™t as flexible as I thought it would be. If and when I next drop my phone, I think the case will likely crack and I will probably order another one if there were an option for a more flexible material.

I love my personalized case ! :blush:

( OneClimateOneChallenge.com )

The hub ā€œMarceauā€ in Paris can perform simple edition of the FP case :blush:

3 Likes