Poll: Lineage OS or FPOOS Android 6?

Sorry, but forget about that.

CopperheadOS won’t support another device without full verified boot, a 64-bit CPU, LPDDR4 with TRR, driver support for at least Linux 4.4 (2nd generation Pixels), etc.

Source: https://copperhead.co/android/docs/devices

FP2 doesn’t fulfill any of those requirements. I once read in their site (can’t find this ATM) they won’t never support devices without regular security updates and latest Android version officialy available. In the end, this means they will never support any device outside Gobble’s ones.

It all depends… For me, Lineage OS is too immature for now. When it’s grown up a bit more, I’d be interested in the security patch level. I take great value in the fact that FP Open is really quite up-to-date. If that stays the case and Lineage is lagging behind, I think I’ll stay on FP Open. If they’re the same, I’ll at least try Lineage.

3 Likes

Would be really nice, if the FP2 becomes an official Lineage device. But from my side and I use my FP2 with Lineage everyday, it works pretty well. Also compared with FPOpen (I switched to Lineage over a month ago, so I can not rate how FPOpen with Android 6 works.)

2 Likes

I’m sorry but, what do you mean with inmature?
LAOS@Fairphone had made great progress with just some guys working on it for a realy short time and in compare with Fairphone (open) OS its has a newer Android version, better feature set, better privacy level and so on.
If you look on the buglist of Fairphones OSes I’ll have the impression that LAOS have also less annoying bugs.
So from my point of view if the Fairphone devs would team up with the LAOS guys we would get the best Fairphone OS we ever had. But what we see is that they fighting with an Android version wich is old right now and has no future.

3 Likes

I installed a LineageOS build from the time of @ronaldteune’s writing recently. Encryption ended in a bootloop and needed to be fixed the hard way, FM radio didn’t work. Perhaps that’s what he meant ;-), and I didn’t look any further for other issues.
A LineageOS build from July fixed both issues, since then I dropped Fairphone Open OS myself and switched to LineageOS.

Dual SIM might still be a bit of a concern as you know yourself.

I didn’t count the bugs, but for me personally LineageOS immediately felt a bit better on the phone than Fairphone Open OS. I don’t know what part the step from Android 6 to Android 7 plays in that. I guess comparing an Android 6 OS to an Android 7 OS in that regard may be a bit unfair.

Just for reference:
In LineageOS battery percentage in the status bar is an option you can turn on (in Fairphone Open OS you have to install an App that just turns this option on because it is hidden).
In LineageOS all available reboot options are in the reboot menu, you can even add screenshot to that via Settings.
And then for me the compass works better. I had no real problem with calibrating it when I needed it before, but this was a really positive surprise for me because I didn’t think it was a software thing.

This is probably not going to happen as long as there is no official support for Android 7 on the Snapdragon 801 SoC of the Fairphone 2. And if in doubt they probably would continue Fairphone Open OS on an Android 7 base then.
Any community Android 7 port can work as brilliantly as it wants. Fairphone as a company need official support and they still have that with Android 6. Only when Google doesn’t do security updates for Android 6 any longer and Fairphone don’t get support for Android 7 turning to community ports may become an option for Fairphone. They are a company, official procedures matter.

2 Likes

This is not true anymore for Marshmallow. You have to press and hold down on the options cog in the notification area until it starts spinning. This activates the system UI tuner which will let you customize the notification area and experimental tiling mode for apps.

5 Likes

That’s all true but why do the Fairphone devs don’t contibute to the open source LAOS in addition to there standard tasks? They woulden’t be the first company with avtivities in both areas.
And don’t they see that the port of LAOS brings a huge advatage for the FP2? Perhaps it’s the starting point for there phone to last as long as they have promised.

A business day has only a limited amount of working hours, and I guess theirs are already filled with hunting/ fixing bugs and preparing updates for Fairphone OS and Fairphone Open OS.
Of course I have no real insight in Fairphone developer work, but I don’t think they are twiddling their thumbs pleading for more tasks to be given to them :slight_smile:.

They still don’t get support for Android 7 for the Fairphone 2. Don’t you see that’s important for them as a company?
They can still put their weight behind LineageOS when they don’t get support for Android 6 anymore.

Would it be feasable for Fairphone as company to shift their ressources from Fairphone Open OS to Lineage OS instead? If not, why?

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong but if we talking about development of vendor specific android software for FP2, which support you are refering on? Do you think that mr. google is comming around to help anybody in Fairphone just once a time? I have no problem with Fairphone wants a googly standard OS with SUPPORT but what about doing open source in a community way.
Sorry, I can’t understand what’s driving these guy’s to work on FP open in the way they are doing these day’s.

1 Like

Funny, just while you were writing this comment I was installing Lineage because it seemed to have come a long way in a month. Also because FPOOS didn’t get security fixes for long, whole LAOS seems up to date. Happy with it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As @paulakreuzer understandably closed this later poll

I would like to push this one; although it seems to lack some options I would be interested in:

• How about LineageOS and FairphoneOS users? If they are going to switch, what for?
  • To me this poll lacks the opportunity to select “I gonna choose another one”
  • Like @Lidwien already said some users might have liked to be able to select both, as they have no preference

I am on Fairphone open. I haven’t tried Lineage on my Fairphone, but I have installed it on an older phone to have a feel.
Right now, I quite like the idea of having something official from Fairphone, so I stick to Fairphone open as long as I don’t have major problems. I think that it is good for Fairphone’s image to promote an open OS. But I think that it may be wiser and cheaper to fully support Lineage (or Sailfish or Ubuntu) instead of developing their own Open OS, but as I have understood, it doesn’t take too much time to adapt Fairphone Open OS from Fairphone OS.

1 Like

As I started this thread I can tell you what I chose: I’m using Lineage OS now for the past… 2 months and am happy. Only low energy Bluetooth doesn’t work (for my specific gadget).

I think a Fair Phone should have a Fair OS, which promotes freedom and has no dependency on Google and other spies.

1. ATM i have FP Open, and i love to promote free* software to my friends and acquaintances.
    When I’m asked about “what operating system do you use” I give a complicated answer “it’s an android which is developed by FairPhone itself without google services”, they understand they should pay 530€ to use free software.
    I’d prefer to give a simple answer “I use LineAgeOS, you can install it on your phone NOW, and when your phone breaks then you can buy a FairPhone”.

2. If FairPhone supports LineAgeOS, it would save the company from developing a specific software (less expenses, cheaper phone). OR, these developers could work on LineAgeOS instead, and affect positively a lot more people, not just fair phone users.

3. I wouldn’t like to refer a friend or buy them a gift card, to jail them by default with google services. The phone should be shipped by default with open, free, fair software, and they would opt-in to google only if they love it that much.
    Most of my friends are already using google for nothing more than the gmail, so hopefully they will just set their phone to receive gmail (easy) and not switch the entire phone to google services (hard).

PLEASE SHIP PHONES WITH LINEAGEOS BY DEFAULT.

*free like free speech, not free beer.

3 Likes

Now that Lineage OS is official is it time to ditch Open OS?

5 Likes

If the development efforts of Fairphone that goes into FPOOS now goes to LOS, why not!

6 Likes

I won’t ditch FPOOS until LineageOS has proven to be rock solid and free from high battery drain. Does dual SIM already work?

1 Like

For me battery is better than ever before with fpos! Now with the official Version i have the impression its even got again a bit better!

I think in the long term, yes.

1 Like