Poll + general discussion: who got Android 10 Update on their FP3 & first impressions

@HMZ Hi I contacted them through several channels, I’m aware of the existence of customer support. FP did not respond, as it said in my original post.

@BertG Unfortunately the latest security patch did not improve the situation, if anything the reboots are occuring with increasing frequency

1 Like

@Aisling_Roche
Sorry, I didn’t see the original post.

I am now installing the update (Vodafone NL). Fingers crossed I won’t have too many bugs!

Edit: so far the biggest downside for me is the notifications that are no longer displayed on the black screen. I just really loved the look of them when I first got my FP3, so it’s a shame now all you see is the lock symbol. I hope an update will fix it, but if not, I’ll live with it.

3 Likes

I noticed that when I use Spotify Connect with my hifi system, my phone ‘keeps up’ with the songs better than before. I sometimes would start a playlist and my phone would continue to display the first song while my hifi system was already on the fifth song, now it keeps track much better. I’ll give the Bluetooth a go tomorrow: with my Samsung my car would always display the song titles but it hasn’t done that since I got the FP3 (although it still plays my music just fine), so I’m curious to see whether that changed.

1 Like

Yay, song titles are now displayed in my car!

3 Likes

I have this too, it is intermittent though. When it happens the photo is not saved so I have to pay attention to ensure I have actually taken something. It varies from photo to photo; with two consecutive photos one might be saved and the other not.

The photo preview appears to be working fairly consistenly for me now for whatever reason.

I think this is happening reliably after the camera has not been used for a while, the first photo is not saved, the subsequent ones are.

The August update (2nd Android 10 version) worked (as in downloaded, applied) on Vodafone NL. First one did not (had to use TMO NL SIM). Not tried Xs4all/KPN.

1 Like

I wanted to warn any FP3 users who upgraded to android 10 not to format SD card as internal storage, it has been reported to break several things on the phone (forum topic).

6 Likes

Even in het Nederlands: het is mij gelukt door mijn SIM tijdelijk ‘uit’ te zetten en de update binnen te halen via WiFi.

Android 10 runs well on FP3. Some minor problems resulted from blocking too much with my firewall Net-Guard. Now it runs, but there is one item which is no problem but only a matter of comfort:
When updating F-Droid apps I always have to install each and every app manually. Download runs in a batch of all apps but then every app is to be touched for installation. Did I miss anything during installation of F-droid-store? Any opt-in or opt-out? I don` t find it.

Only the Google Play Store is allowed to install apps automatically. There’s no way around this for other app stores.

1 Like

I guess they don’t work with the FP3 (yet), but on FP2 the F-Droid priviledged extension worked pretty well and allowed for updates in the background.

3 Likes

Funny, the Android 10 update was proposed to my FP3 when it came out, but I hesitated and didn’t accept it (I don’t want Bluetooth problems etc).

Now, when I check for updates, it says I’m up to date with Android 9 (June 5th security patch).

No Android 10 in sight…

[edit] I just saw the Fairphone CEO’s announcement, so I’ll happily stay away from Android 10 for now anyway.

1 Like

I can understand your worries and have also hesitated initially for installing when it was available for me with the second release which also came for Vodafone customers. Later I have installed this release and I’m quite happy with the result.

I hope that also others have made good experiences and that the reported bugs were experienced not by so many people even if it looks different in the forum. Therefore I find the approach of Eva quite good to find out who has issues and why.

5 Likes

Hey,
I have a FP3 on Bouygues (France) network and I still don’t have the Android 10 update.
But it may be better when I see all the bugs and people asking how the return to Android 9… Update deployment may have been stopped.
However, it means I can’t upgrade my photo modules either, but still not an issue as they are out of stock.

3 Likes

Same for me, 1 year old FP3 on Bouygues Telecom networks and still no android 10 update

Happy to say this issue was resolved by the last update I got yesterday.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.