Poll: Does your screen turn off after booting up the FP2 with update 1.3.6?

This bug is already discussed in :flag_de: German.

Does your screen turn off after booting up your FP2 with update 1.3.6 and has to be waken up with a long press on the power button?

• Yes, my screen turns off after booting
  • No, my screen stays on after booting
  • I have no FP2 / can’t test it

0 voters

Because not all FP2 users have this problem, I ask a first further question. Maybe I have to ask more questions to narrow down the problem.
Do you have the problem that the screen of your FP2 turns off after booting? Have you enabled the PIN at least one SIM card?
With PIN: I have to enter at least one SIM PIN after booting. Without PIN: I don’t have to enter any SIM PIN after booting.
I mean the PIN protection of the SIM card, not of the phone.

• I have this problem, SIM card(s) with PIN
  • I have this problem, SIM card(s) without PIN
  • I have not this problem, SIM card(s) with PIN
  • I have not this problem, SIM card(s) without PIN
  • I cannot say anything about this

0 voters

I found out that the bug occurs with my phone when adaptive brightness is turned on, and does not occur when adaptive brightness is turned off.

Please turn adaptive brightness ON under Settings - Display - Adaptive brightness and reboot your FP2 (with 1.3.6). Does your screen turn off while booting?

• Yes, my screen turns off while booting
  • No, my screen stays on while booting

0 voters

Please turn adaptive brightness OFF under Settings - Display - Adaptive brightness and reboot your FP2 (with 1.3.6). Does your screen turn off while booting?

• Yes, my screen turns off while booting
  • No, my screen stays on while booting

0 voters

1 Like

I notice this yesterday but I didn’t long-press, I just waited a bit.
It is exactly like the device is still booting but the boot animation is a black screen. And I don’t have this without Adaptive brightness, this might be why I just noticed it since 1.3.6!

We need some more testers who test if the bug has to do with the adaptive brightness setting.

I have the same problem with the Fairphone Open OS 16.05 (which corresponds the 1.3.6).
I have installed Xposed Framework and Pico Gapps. I thought this could be the problem but if it also occurs with 1.3.6 this won’t be the fault.

I have the same problem. Maybe we should be more specific on what we did. I updated like this:

fastboot flash boot boot-fairphone-fp2-su-eng-r210.img
fastboot flash system system.img

(extracted from FP2-gms54-1.3.6-img.zip)

With TWRP I then (like always) installed xposed-v79-sdk22-arm.zip. Problems began after installing xposed modules, but I somehow doubt that they cause the
problem.

However, I restored the backup I made before updating and I am fine again. But 1.3.6 will not find it’s way to my phone again. :disappointed_relieved:

Please note that the latest Xposed-version is xposed-v85-sdk22-arm.zip.
I don’t reboot my phone often, but I rebooted it twice with 1.3.6 and and xposed, I didn’t expericence this issue.

1 Like

Have you tried a reboot after changing phone to lowest brightness? The described problem only (but then always) happens to me if I pull the brightness slider to the left and reboot then.

1 Like

Ok,

I gave it another try. I updated the same way, but this time using xposed-v85-sdk22-arm.zip (thanks retsifp :slight_smile: ).

But this time, inspired by Volker’s hint (thanks for this! :wink: ), I at first disabled “adaptive brightness” and tuned brightness to full.

This time it worked. I can even switch on adaptive brightness on again. But as soon as I turn the brightness slider below like 60%, brightness sometimes drops to zero. The screen is still responsive, but it’s hard to turn brightness up again blindly.

I now leave it at about 75% and it seems to work. Also after rebooting.

1 Like

Well after upgrading to 1.3.6 I get from time to time black screen now while using the phone.
I have adaptive brightness turned on.
Sounds like the same problem.

So I tried the following:

• adaptive brightness ON
  • medium brightness
    I went into a completely dark romm and the screen went dark.
    Leaving the room again and the screen turned on again.

I disabled adaptive brightness and the problem doesn’t occur any longer.

So it seems:
ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS with MEDIUM BRIGHTNESS is a serious problem in dark rooms afetr 1.3.6 !!!
Workaround: Turn adaptive brightness off and never set brightness too small :wink:

Question:
Can I savely switch back to 1.2.8 and if so, which methods should I use (update file or flashable image)?

According to the poll, at least 12 users are affected. Eight users (@BeMiGro, @Volker, @neolovich, @NicoM, @Robsidobsi, @StevenHachel, @tofra, @USB-2) reported here that they are affected or can reproduce the bug.

I find it legitimate that the thread is moved to #software:bug-reports . @anon12454812, could you please inform the Fairphone team about this and request an official statement?

The Brightness can be turned to zero with FPOS 1.3.6 is maybe related.

1 Like

Please continue here:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/black-screen-after-reboot-if-brightness-is-set-to-zero-or-adaptive/18752?u=paulakreuzer&source_topic_id=18181