FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

Here’s an (unedited) photo taken with the new camera module at 4x zoom. The new sensor seems to offer no advantage whatsoever.
Edit: The forum software downscales it to 50% its original size, but the pixellation is still obvious.

1 Like

And here are two shots taken with the new module, the first with the stock camera (automatic scene detection, flash off, auto HDR) and the second with nikita’s port of the 7.4 Google Camera app (flash off, Google AWB, HDR+ on). Both are pretty much what I would have expected with the old camera. Even the brighter parts of the stock camera image are so noisy that I expect it will be clearly visible in the version downsized by the forum software.

Edit: the GCam version was not downsized by the software, I guess because its filesize was smaller to begin with. Less noise makes images easier to compress…

Another edit: losslessly cropped, non-shrinked version of the stock camera photo here.

2 Likes

If that’s the case, I’d feel cheated… Any good point to mention compared to the old camera modules?

@Antoine
The 48MP won’t allow less pixelisation, as it it is a quad bayer sensor (explanation in the link given higher), which means it compiles 4 pixels in one (more or less). But it will theoritically allow a higher image quality when zooming, as well as in general better photos. You might want to look for the option to shoot in 48MP with a 48MP output and allow for less pixelisation. I’m still wondering whether anyone found it (perhaps in the developer options).
Though the difference will perhaps be little and not very noticeable in everyday’s photos. I agree there is a part of marketing in their new modules, but I don’t believe it is only marketing. I will wait for a good camera modules comparison, as we can’t judge based on nothing (currently I think there is none).
I don’t care much about the new modules, I don’t own a FP3 and I probably wouldn’t have bought them anyway. But for those wanting them, I was expecting a much improved software. Let’s see if it’s the case or not (seems not to be as much improved as I expected).

(I have no experience in photography, I only read different things and this is what I understood. Please correct me if I said something wrong)

1 Like

I do feel cheated. Absolutely no advantage to the old module as far as I can tell. But still looking forward to somebody proving me wrong.

I’m starting to wonder whether maybe something has gone wrong here. I got the famous “production delay” email minutes before the “package sent” email. Maybe something is wrong with the modules that were sent out before they halted the shipment?

1 Like

Here’s a version of the photo I took with the stock app losslessly cropped (using cropgui) to be below 5 MB in size so that hopefully the forum software won’t shrink it.

2 Likes

The new cameras arrived yesterday and I’ll try Nikita’s latest revision NGCam_7.4.104-v1.6.apk for now. (…) This port seems to be missing some Google standard features, though. I can’t find a way to enable motion pictures, for instance.
And Fairphone’s updated standard app has some neat new features as well like object tracking that I couldn’t find on any GCam port yet. Have you?

After having messed around with a few other ports, Nikita’s 7.4 port started crashing when trying to save frontcam pics. As I didn’t find a way to make it work again, I switched to Nikita’s final 7.3 port (Nikita: Nikita-v1.7_GCam_7.3.020_Urnyx05_mod) and am much happier with it.

Not only doesn’t it crash - it also has a lot of the missing features like motion pictures, focus tracking and ISO settings. So, this might be the port to have.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for these test photos!

Can someone who has the old and the new module upload pictures (in the best case with the same subject and same lightning conditions) with 4x zoom for each camera module?
This would make objective comparison much easier.
Also if someone could upload raw (dng) files of zoomed in photos would be very helpful, this would exclude a lot of problems which might could get fixed in future software updates.

2 Likes

Until now, I was testing GCam_7.3.018_Urnyx05-v2.2.apk but I can’t remember Who portes it.
No issues to report but I will give a try to your version as well.

Hey, I’m new here at the forum.
I have fp3+ and I downloaded the camera app from the link as mentioned above (https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1322/)

I like the Nikita app much more than the standard camera app.

Have anyone tried with another camera app for fp3+ ? Would like to compare with Nikita.

look here

2 Likes

I tried the same one (NGCam_7.4.104-v1.5). The previous one I was using (don’t remember which one) did not work anymore after upgrading to Android 10.
The only issue is screenshots are saved without date/time. So maybe it’s time to try another one as well…

Thanks, I finally stayed with that one, Nikita’s version was too unresponsive or laggy for me.

Are any of these in Google Play? Would be nice to have an app that automatically updates itself.

No.
These are ports by enthusiasts of an App Google only wants their own Pixel phones to have. Of course they are not in the Play Store.

4 Likes

I am trying some ports, but without luck. I have the Fairphone 3 with the new modules installed and I have troubles with video modes on Gcam ports… has anyone found a port that works with this new modules?

UPDATE: I tried all the latest ones I’ve seen named in this post and none of them worked for me, but we’ll find out if any port works on this new modules. I have to add that after reading the comments about the almost none existing differences between one camera module and another I am thinking about if buying the new modules was a good idea… maybe this absence of improvement is due to the stock camera app and not the modules themselves.

Nikita GCam version 7.4.104-v1.7 is installed on FP3 with new cam modules and camera and video are working.
So far I noticed that activation of Sabre gives a crash.
So far I have not found any “best settings”. FYI I have uploaded my current config (with infos: Fairphone FP3 with FP3+ cams, test #1) on https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/configs-nikita-05/ - maybe they will appear in the list in near future.

2 Likes

I installed this one as well and it worked fine. I upgraded my camera to the FP3+ version and the app stopped working :frowning:

Well, I tried it and it didn’t work for me, maybe I should give it a second chance.

I have the same problem :frowning: